Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #1
Diggin Jiggin

thinning etex

Has anyone used thinned etex as a topcoat? I usually use sys3 clear coat but I'm out. I'm not that into it anymore and didn't have great luck with it last time so I bought it so I picked up some etex at michaels w/ a coupon and have been thinning as a sealer with denatured alchohol.

I started out with etex as a topcoat a long time ago but I was putting it on too thick and it yellowed a lot, so I'd moved on to the sys 3 stuff which is much thinner. Now I'm wondering about using the etex thinned. Has anyone tried that as a topcoat ? I did a few plugs I hadn't epoxied from last year and it looks ok but wondering if it will hold up.
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I don't think you need to thin it Dave, just be sure the temp. is warm enough and it should flow on ok thin enough, you can even do 2 coats.
I know guys have thinned etex but I personally have not.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

try this method, its like its thinned and goes on smooth and easy, hope that helps

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...te-method.html

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggin Jiggin View Post
Has anyone used thinned etex as a topcoat? I usually use sys3 clear coat but I'm out. I'm not that into it anymore and didn't have great luck with it last time so I bought it so I picked up some etex at michaels w/ a coupon and have been thinning as a sealer with denatured alchohol.

I started out with etex as a topcoat a long time ago but I was putting it on too thick and it yellowed a lot, so I'd moved on to the sys 3 stuff which is much thinner. Now I'm wondering about using the etex thinned. Has anyone tried that as a topcoat ? I did a few plugs I hadn't epoxied from last year and it looks ok but wondering if it will hold up.
Dave, I'll take any of your plugs that have yellowed if they're too ugly for you.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
Rockfish9

I've never seen the need... I use small batches ( 6 plugs at a time = 2 tablespoons hardenr and 3 tabelspoon of resin... added in that order) my plugs are in the spinner ( heated) and I heat the e-tex prior to mixing.. this seems to cure most ills with the stuff... i find it does yellow a little with time.. but I'm no selling them so I can deal with it...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockfish9 View Post
I've never seen the need... I use small batches ( 6 plugs at a time = 2 tablespoons hardenr and 3 tabelspoon of resin... added in that order) my plugs are in the spinner ( heated) and I heat the e-tex prior to mixing.. this seems to cure most ills with the stuff... i find it does yellow a little with time.. but I'm no selling them so I can deal with it...
Joe your not mixing etex 50/50 as stated in the directions .. More resin ? thanks ...

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Diggin Jiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris401 View Post
try this method, its like its thinned and goes on smooth and easy, hope that helps

http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripert...te-method.html
I do something similar. I use a big blue maxwell house plastic coffee jug of hot water to heat the bottles. Once they are warm I pull them out and fill the jug back up with hot water. I cover the lid with foil and set it on top upside down and pour the epoxy onto the foil. The heat from the water in the jug underneath keeps the epoxy warm. I usually warm my plugs before epoxy as my basements pretty cold.

I haven't used etex in a while, I'll try it with the normal 1 to 1 mix and see how it goes.

Joe I find it interesting you use a 2 to 3 mix.

When I thinned it for sealing it was very nice to work with and it had a much longer pot life so I was just wondering if anyone had done that for topcoat. I flipped them a few times, the excess dripped off similar to the sys 3 stuff and they look good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thinned etex.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	55781  
Diggin Jiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Cool shape, reminds me of a bob Hahn number 9
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggin Jiggin View Post

Joe I find it interesting you use a 2 to 3 mix.
Yea ,, me too .. More resin would make it more flexible at the risk of being sticky .. If I know Joe he's on to something ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #10
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

and Rossy !!!!! love that plug ..

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
iamskippy

I have thinned it when i have added heavy pearls, use very small amounts of denatured alcohol, doesnt compromise the finish.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
surfflyfish

dont thin it, not needed.

If You are looking for your next Real Estate Sale or Purchase-Contact me.
surfflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote