Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks

How To's, F.A.Q.s, Tips, & Tricks How-To's, Tips & Tricks plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) **** Please Do Not Start Discussions or Ask New Questions in Here **** This is for popular Threads To be moved here for easy access & discussion. Post all new questions in main Stripertalk Forum

Old 08-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #1
ct_fisher
ct_fisher

Looking for feedback on Surf Bags

Hi all

I need to get a surf bag for my collection of plugs
many are the normal poppers, bottles and needlefish
with some of the large danny's

All feedback is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Rob
ct_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Gear Up 3 tube is a nice bag for it's price range. MAK also makes a nice bag
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #3
Pafisher

The Gear Up is a nice bag. Try to pack as lite as possible. A heavy bag is no fun to carry. Most trips, very few plugs or jigs are needed.
Pafisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

My suggestion would be to buy something well within your budget.

"...Too many people buy things they don't need with money they don't have trying to impress people they don't even like..."

IMO = I've seen some ridiculously priced surf bags (for my budget). The cost of the bag alone could outfit a fisherman with everything he or she'd need to catch a fish and even put some gas in the tank to get there.
I still own the very first surf bag I ever bought...yes, I've had to make small repairs, replace straps, modify tubes, etc...but it still does the job asked of it. Cost me about $20...guessing over 25 years ago.
I also have a more modern bag. It's one of the high end models probably costing more than 10X as much as my original. Don't get me wrong, it's a better made bag.....but if someone's on a budget, whether wife-driven or not, they shouldn't be fooled or socially egged into thinking they "need" one of these "high-roller" bags.
It's also important for me to mention that I'm not knocking any of our modern-day plug-bag mfg'ers nor their product lines.
Not knowing what level-bag or budget you're targeting makes it hard for the more experienced plug-bag owners (the guys that own more than they "need") to chime in.

I'm guessing that this is not the type of reply you were looking for...just don't go breaking the bank on something you don't need...unless you're fortunate enough not to have a bag budget. If that's the case, we're in a different league and I couldn't help you either way.

Best of Luck ~

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #5
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

Glad this is following Bloocrab.
I take an empty windshield washer jug and cut a smile opposite the handle and then insert four frozen orange juice containers into the smile.
I can then insert four plugs into the orange juice tubes and they rotate inside the jug.
A shoulder strap goes through the Handel.
Not bad for trash and if anyone sees you fishen with this thing on your shoulder they will move away.
How cheap can you get?
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

We use to buy WW2 gas mask bags and cut the tops off round Sauve shampoo bottles for the plug tubes. Worked for 25 years and still would.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:24 AM   #7
rubberheels
rubberheels

ODM are real nice but expensive!
rubberheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #8
rubberheels
rubberheels

I treated myself to the 3 tube ODM bag now I can carry all the stuff that I don't need.
rubberheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:48 PM   #9
Liv2Fish

What happened to commando? I took so much #^&#^&#^&#^& from the wife over that bag. She calls it my Kate Spade surf bag...Nice bag though.

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Liv2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
jc10

I always try to figure out how to obtain quality at a reduced price. With fishing tackle, there seems to be quality used items for sale all the time. This is a great way to get a bigger bang for your money. Interestingly, I just purchased a used, mid-size AquaSkinz surf bag - retail $115 - $120 - for $50. It definitely is used, but will provide the same support for my fishing outings as a new one. I could have gotten a new one for $50 but quality would not have been quite as good.
Look around, check various places, let your fishing buddies know what you want/need, be patient/act quickly.
jc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv2Fish View Post
What happened to commando? I took so much #^&#^&#^&#^& from the wife over that bag. She calls it my Kate Spade surf bag...Nice bag though.
My first TFCTFN I won the door prize, a Commando surf belt, it never showed up.. :-(
I never win anything :-( contrary to what the wife says....

The gas mask bag was my go to , and still have the gasmask somewhere.... until PI gave me a four tube,,, all I need...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #12
ivanputski
Pete K.

The owner of Commando moved on to other time consuming ventures, despite
the insanely high demand for his bags. If you own a commando bag,
then you know that the hype was earned and warranted. These are the best designed, best constructed bags ever made... more than one company based
the majority of their designs on what Tom at commando developed.
Im happy that I bought multiple bags while I could.. They will last me
until Im too old to fish and then i will pass them on
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #13
Liv2Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanputski View Post
The owner of Commando moved on to other time consuming ventures, despite
the insanely high demand for his bags. If you own a commando bag,
then you know that the hype was earned and warranted. These are the best designed, best constructed bags ever made... more than one company based
the majority of their designs on what Tom at commando developed.
Im happy that I bought multiple bags while I could.. They will last me
until Im too old to fish and then i will pass them on
Same. I don't fish from shore much these days but took my commando 3 tube with detachable bucktail pouch to OBX back in August for some morning beach plugging. Everyone I bumped into wanted to check it out and asked where they could get one. I bet I could have sold it for $500.

Last edited by Liv2Fish; 11-10-2019 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: fat fingers

"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Liv2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote