Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 02-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Holy Smokes!

What an ending! Full Superstition GameDay Sunday in effect yesterday!!!!

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Just watched the last 15 minutes again, I still can't believe the ending, what an amazing comeback. I think that ends all the who is the best QB of all time debates and same goes for the coach; the owner gets a nod too. Thanks for the handoff ROGER.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
FishermanTim

Had a few "fair-weather" fan relatives that where calling it a game at half time. One of my nephews made the mistake of saying: "If the Pats come back from the 21-3 halftime deficit, he would walk out in front of his parents house in a tank top and boxers.

Needless to say I called him at the end of regulation to "remind" him of his comment. Now I'm waiting to see a picture to see if he's got the balls to stand behind his word!

My two other brothers decided to go to bed for an early start today and both said they "should have stayed up if they knew the Pats were making a come back".

I kept saying all night long...I don't care who wins, as long as they play a good game.
Last night was exactly what I wanted, a game that could have gone either way right down to the final drive in regulation!

What I noticed, and told my relatives this morning, was that it was a very PROFESSIONAL game. No fights, no personal fouls, to unsportsmanlike penalties, just hard fought football!

I will also say that it the Falcons keep their core players next season, and build on the few weaknesses (and there were very few) they WILL be an NFC contender for as long as they keep that spirit!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

nerve raking game but very entertaining

world champs again

BINGO!

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #5
ivanputski
Pete K.

My favorite part was watching the owners of the Falcons celebrating in the first half, and watching them literally deflated by the end.
ivanputski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
Jim in CT

I had no rooting interest in either team, just enjoyed a spectacular game. In clutch situations, Brady is at least as good as Montana and Young or anyone else.

Some interesting key plays...

When Atlanta was up 8 with 5+ minutes left, and had the ball on New England's 25 yard line, I thought it was over. Atlanta choked so bad. Ryan has to throw the ball away instead of getting sacked for -15. Then a 10 yard holding penalty on the next play.

Then the Atlanta running back completely missing a pass protection block that led to a fumble.

And the great Brady pass play (can't remember who to) where the pass was deflected, 3 or 4 guys were rolling around, and the ball never touched the ground, and the Pats receiver showed awesome concentration to bring that ball in.

If you don't put serious pressure on Brady, and do it rushing 4 guys, he's un-stoppable. So accurate, and so so clutch. Like David Ortiz.

It was a fantastic second half. Enjoy Pats nation!!

Imagine if he had Gronk all season. Scary good.
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:34 PM   #7
Jim in CT

When Brady was Bledsoe's backup, was there any hint he had any potential to be this good? Brady only got a shot because Bledsoe got hurt, right? Maybe I am mis-remembering?
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #8
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanputski View Post
My favorite part was watching the owners of the Falcons celebrating in the first half, and watching them literally deflated by the end.
Pissa... what's the NFL and Roger going to come up with for a punishment for deflating owners

Great game.. hard to watch during the first 2/3 of the game..My son in law was there... at half time he sent me a text asking if I knew anyone looking for Falcons super bowl tickets... I texted him back saying I'd go to bed except I could never forgive myself if I missed the greatest come back in NFL history then added LOL ( fully expecting a rout by the Falcons at that point)he replied...I wish I could go to bed...each playacted that sack gave me more and more hope.. when they won the coin toss in OT there was never a doubt... you could see the Atlanta D was gassed... at that point the Pat's wanted it more..it was the most exciting game I've ever witnessed. That catch by Edelman was a bounce we Never get... and James White... next man up..do your job.. and that young man certainly did...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:02 PM   #9
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Arthur Blank is Home Depot. That alone made me root for the Pats.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #10
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
When Brady was Bledsoe's backup, was there any hint he had any potential to be this good? Brady only got a shot because Bledsoe got hurt, right? Maybe I am mis-remembering?
Here's what I remember. I took my son to a pre-season game against the Redskins, at the old dump alongside Route 1, before their first SB season. Bledsoe played the first and third quarters. Brady played the second and fourth. I don't remember the score. What I do remember is telling my sister (we used her season tickets), "watch out for that kid Brady. He throws a much better ball right now than Bledsoe ever did. He just needs to fine tune it".

Bledsoe got hurt in either the third or fourth game of the regular season vs. the Jets. He kind of froze in indecision inbounds, along the sidelines, and a Jets LB, Mo Lewis, I think, folded him in half. Cleanly. IIRC Bledsoe had a ruptured spleen. The rest is history.

He was totally off the radar in college. He was mostly a back-up to Brian Griese, and after only two starts after Griese graduated, Michigan's coach benched him in favor of a freshman, Drew Henson. Because he was a fourth year junior, he declared for the draft after that season and was taken by Belichick in the 6th round. Mostly on the basis of his size and having played in a top program.

Who knew? I won't say I saw what he became in that pre-season game, but I did see a kid who could throw a deep tight spiral straight overhand (unlike the side-winder Bledsoe). He's always thrown a better deep ball than most writers and broadcasters give him credit for. That Hail Mary he threw at the end of the second SB loss to the Giants went 60 yards on the fly.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:45 PM   #11
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
The year he was drafted they kept his scrauny ass on the team as the 4th QB. who does that? 4 QB's
Next year 2001 season he works his way up past Damon Huard to be #2 on the depth chart behind Bledsoe and would tell Drew he was coming for his job. He worked hard, got there early, stayed late , won the primo parking spot year after year. He "earned it" as they say. Brady is a WINNER! and is head and shoulders above Montana. Any game 4th quarter, who do you want? Tom Brady that's who. He is playing better in his career now than in 2001-2006. It is insane. We are spoiled

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:49 PM   #12
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Good to see you here Mike, you found your password!

Old 02-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #13
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

One of the best games ever, but I think the play calling by Atlanta at the end of the game was their undoing, otherwise I think we would all be bummed that we came so close. Man why would they not run 3 times and kick a field goal to likely seal the deal, thank you Kyle. They had us likely beat if that series of downs was called differently, holding penalty or not.
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #14
beamie

Rumor has it Goddell was seen in the Pats locker room after the game stuffing Brady's game shirt under his jacket. He sent it to the lab to check it for Superpowers.

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:04 PM   #15
Dick Durand

Quote:
Not necessarily my "favorite part" but I did enjoy the comic relief they provided by the gloom and doom demeanor in the 2nd half. What a striking contrast . . . no longer anything to dance about. Quite a comeback!
Dick Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #16
zimmy

Just heard that there were 138 times during the season where a team had first and 10 at the 22 or better. One time the team ended up punting. Zero out of 137 prior to the superbowl.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #17
Raven

many records broken....
such a great finale

quoting Beamie " Rumor has it Goddell was seen in the Pats locker room after the game stuffing Brady's game shirt under his jacket. He sent it to the lab to check it for Superpowers."

that's a riot
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote