Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 02-18-2020, 12:26 PM   #1
Jim in CT

why hasn’t obama endorsed Biden?

Obama wanted Biden to be the potus if anything happened to obama. Obama told us that Biden was the best VP the country has ever had. So why no endorsement?
Old 02-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
spence

Good lord
Old 02-18-2020, 12:56 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Good lord
what one says when one can’t speak the truth.

obama said he was the best VP ever. right?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 02-18-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Jim;
How about you offer your opinion first? Why isn't he endorsing. That might foster some discussion.

My take, he is trying to stay out of it until there is a candidate. If memory serves, he didn't endorse HRC until summer. I am certain when there is a candidate, he will be out there helping them. When there are two (say Bernie and a more moderate) left, he might have a tough call to make.

GWB didn't endorse in '16, especially once Jeb was out. I can remember what GWB did in '12....

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Jim;
How about you offer your opinion first? Why isn't he endorsing. That might foster some discussion.

My take, he is trying to stay out of it until there is a candidate. If memory serves, he didn't endorse HRC until summer. I am certain when there is a candidate, he will be out there helping them. When there are two (say Bernie and a more moderate) left, he might have a tough call to make.

GWB didn't endorse in '16, especially once Jeb was out. I can remember what GWB did in '12....
i can’t imagine why a question is invalid unless i offer my answer, but you asked, so here goes. i think Obama failed to endorse his VP ( who he claimed was the best VP weve ever had) because he's a disloyal azzhole.

Staying out of it until there is a candidate, is what wusses do, not what leaders do. We’re talking about his VP.

obama didn’t mind injecting his two cents every time there was a police shooting. it’s not like
we always have to pry his opinions out of him.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:06 PM   #6
spence

Good lord
Old 02-18-2020, 07:38 PM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
i can’t imagine why a question is invalid unless i offer my answer, but you asked, so here goes. i think Obama failed to endorse his VP ( who he claimed was the best VP weve ever had) because he's a disloyal azzhole.

Staying out of it until there is a candidate, is what wusses do, not what leaders do. We’re talking about his VP.

obama didn’t mind injecting his two cents every time there was a police shooting. it’s not like
we always have to pry his opinions out of him.
Is GWB a Wuss?

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 02-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Is GWB a Wuss?
if you can show me where GWB chose not to endorse #^&#^&#^&#^& Cheney running for potus, i’ll say the same thing. Fair enough?
Old 02-19-2020, 07:07 AM   #9
scottw

why do leftists continually offer ridiculous comparisons and then act like you are the crazy one?
Old 02-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #10
wdmso

Why would calling him the best VP the country ever had .

Translate to endorsing him for POTUS. The 2 jobs aren't close to being the same

ASK the invisible VP Pence
Old 02-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #11
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

I don't think it is a reading into Biden's ability. I think Obama is respecting the primary process and not diving into what is a contentious race.

A quick search of the google machine shows that Bush didn't endorse Romney in '12 until May and McCain until March of 2008. Then he mostly stayed out of the campaigns. So if Obama endorses in the spring, he is on pace with that. I think the fact that he was his VP doesn't change the thought that Obama doesn't want to divide the Dem support, especially if Biden doesn't win the nomination...

Post-term, Obama has been a lot more silent than he could have on campaigns and Trump; his opinion does carry weight, but IMHO he is staying out of it per historic prescient.

Bryan

Old 02-19-2020, 09:36 AM   #12
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Why would calling him the best VP the country ever had .

Translate to endorsing him for POTUS. The 2 jobs aren't close to being the same

ASK the invisible VP Pence
presidents pick a vp they trust can do the job of potus, in the event something happens to them.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Quote:
I don't think it is a reading into Biden's ability. I think Obama is respecting the primary process and not diving into what is a contentious race.

A quick search of the google machine shows that Bush didn't endorse Romney in '12 until May and McCain until March of 2008. Then he mostly stayed out of the campaigns.

Post-term, Obama has been a lot more silent than he could have on campaigns and Trump; his opinion does carry weight, but IMHO he is staying out of it per historic prescient.
how many of the guys that bush didn’t endorse early, served as his vice president?

that’s the point here, which you are deliberately ignoring for some reason. you’re smarter than this.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:49 AM   #14
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
how many of the guys that bush didn’t endorse early, served as his vice president?

that’s the point here, which you are deliberately ignoring for some reason. you’re smarter than this.
I am not avoiding anything. I don't think it is some huge statement on Biden, which you obviously do. One last time, then I am going back to work.

1. I think Obama really thinks Biden was a solid VP.

2. I do not know what Obama thinks of Biden as POTUS, but I
suspect strongly he feels that he is a far better choice than Trump.

3. Obama may feel another candidate is a better choice for POTUS, either in the job OR to campaign against and beat Trump. That doesn't negate point 1. One does not preclude the other.

I do think Obama is following precedent and staying out of the campaign until a clear front runner emerges, particularly given the wide-ranging candidates running right now. I suspect after the process plays out and post-convention he will become more active on the campaign trail.

Bryan

Old 02-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #15
scottw

Quote:

but IMHO he is staying out of it per historic prescient.
wut??
Old 02-19-2020, 10:29 AM   #16
scottw

Quote:

I don't think it is some huge statement on Biden, which you obviously do.
it very clearly is...
Old 02-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #17
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
wut??
Autocorrect on precedent.

Bryan

Old 02-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #18
wdmso

Quote:
presidents pick a vp they trust can do the job of potus, in the event something happens to them.
No! thats not why ..its for votes .... aka Pence evangelicals
Old 02-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #19
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
No! thats not why ..its for votes .... aka Pence evangelicals
Jim gave you a constitutional answer. You gave a political answer. You're both right.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:55 AM   #20
Pete F.
Canceled

Funny that since Biden slipped in the polls, you don't hear Agolf or Lindsey talking about investigating the Bidens.
Might it be that the entire issue was only about politics and never about actually fighting corruption?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin