Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-25-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

BTW - Interesting piece that spells out a probable outcome with caveats (not including how PRC responds) but even if the DPRK was defeated it will be at terrible cost to South Korea and its civilians:

http://www.realcleardefense.com/arti...an_111241.html

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-26-2017, 04:32 AM   #2
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
BTW - Interesting piece that spells out a probable outcome with caveats (not including how PRC responds) but even if the DPRK was defeated it will be at terrible cost to South Korea and its civilians:

As I said their conventions forces are a bigger threat then their Atomic one

In 24 years NK has added thousands of artillery pieces and probably thousands of SRCM within range of Seoul. as a direct result of the US placing nukes in the south

I completely disagree As far as one sided, we have been inconsistent (democracies are)

Not sure but 3 Republican administrations and 2 dem adminstrations the record does not support 1 sided being inconsistent.. there is plently of blame to pass a round R and D

Ronald Reagan was in office in 1986 when plutonium was first produced in a North Korean reactor. They continued their program under President George H.W. Bush, producing enough plutonium to make 1–2 bombs.

Bill Clinton’s presidency, North Korea froze its nuclear production, though it continued testing missiles until deterred by American pressure.

In 2002, President George W. Bush took a strong stance against North Korea by including them in the “Axis of Evil” with Iran and Iraq. A year later, Pyongyang restarted their reactor and by 2005 produced another 15 kg of weapons grade plutonium. In 2006, North Korea is believed to have had between 4 and 13 nuclear bombs and tested a nuclear weapon for the first time.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:07 AM   #3
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:

Interesting take, thanks for posting.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 04-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #4
JohnR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
As I said their conventions forces are a bigger threat then their Atomic one

In 24 years NK has added thousands of artillery pieces and probably thousands of SRCM within range of Seoul. as a direct result of the US placing nukes in the south

I completely disagree As far as one sided, we have been inconsistent (democracies are)

Not sure but 3 Republican administrations and 2 dem adminstrations the record does not support 1 sided being inconsistent.. there is plently of blame to pass a round R and D

Ronald Reagan was in office in 1986 when plutonium was first produced in a North Korean reactor. They continued their program under President George H.W. Bush, producing enough plutonium to make 1–2 bombs.

Bill Clinton’s presidency, North Korea froze its nuclear production, though it continued testing missiles until deterred by American pressure.

In 2002, President George W. Bush took a strong stance against North Korea by including them in the “Axis of Evil” with Iran and Iraq. A year later, Pyongyang restarted their reactor and by 2005 produced another 15 kg of weapons grade plutonium. In 2006, North Korea is believed to have had between 4 and 13 nuclear bombs and tested a nuclear weapon for the first time.
NK is what it is, a Stalinist, authoritarian state, that oppresses its people and seriously threatens its neighbors. It seems like you are making excuses for them / blaming the US.

This is what you are looking for:

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Interesting take, thanks for posting.

It was, and aligns pretty well with conventional thinking. Norks do not likely have the necessary and functional kit to defeat the south but they will kill/wound casualty levels not seen since disasters / wars (Darfur, etc) .

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-26-2017, 08:19 AM   #5
scottw

Quote:
NK is what it is, a Stalinist, authoritarian state, that oppresses its people and seriously threatens its neighbors.
that's a very narrow minded one-sided view
Old 04-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
wdmso

Quote:
NK is what it is, a Stalinist, authoritarian state, that oppresses its people and seriously threatens its neighbors. It seems like you are making excuses for them / blaming the US.

This is what you are looking for:

https://www.armscontrol.org/factsheets/dprkchron

It was, and aligns pretty well with conventional thinking. Norks do not likely have the necessary and functional kit to defeat the south but they will kill/wound casualty levels not seen since disasters / wars (Darfur, etc) .
Far from it.. just making the point we have had an active roll and the US bear some responsibility.. Just like Iran that didn't happen in a vacuum.. our finger prints are all over that as well..

John are you suggesting the US is an innocent participant since 1956 the story didn't just start in 1985 as the link suggest I am just taking the long View

I can't find anything that suggest their Nuke program is offensive (not to say thats not the direction they wish to go but so far that dosnt seem to be the case )

A bomb is useless to North Korea — as an offensive weapon or as a deterrent — unless the country can make a convincing case that it has a reliable delivery system.

and they haven't done that as of yet

not sure what the correct answer is

But I see Trump statements and Kims statements.. like running down hill its easy at 1st until momentum kicks in and thats when bad things start to happen
Old 04-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
JohnR

Quote:
John are you suggesting the US is an innocent participant since 1956 the story didn't just start in 1985 as the link suggest I am just taking the long View
Not at all but at great cost the US did stop the Norks from rolling over their southern brothers, preventing the unity under the banner for the social workers paradise united (we see how well that worked)

Quote:
I can't find anything that suggest their Nuke program is offensive (not to say thats not the direction they wish to go but so far that dosnt seem to be the case )
Beyond the claims they will Nuke Japan and the US?

Quote:
A bomb is useless to North Korea — as an offensive weapon or as a deterrent — unless the country can make a convincing case that it has a reliable delivery system.

and they haven't done that as of yet

A bomb is very useful to the Norks, both as an economic generator (see Iran and Syria in Deir ez-Zo 2007) and as a strong force behind his tantrums. They are getting closer and closer.

I wish I knew the answer too

Last edited by JohnR; 04-27-2017 at 07:24 AM..

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-27-2017, 04:47 AM   #8
scottw

Quote:

I can't find anything that suggest their Nuke program is offensive