Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #31
fishaholic18
Finally

Ya know John, I understand it's your site and you can do whatever you want with it but If your are gonna ban Bill for said reasons ya may as well ban probably 20 other guys..including myself.I can show you many times I've been personally attacked here, I just don't make a big deal of it..I think the problem is the guys who make a huge ordeal out of nothing..I also think the site will be effected by the ban..Believe it or not..Controversy brings customers..People love that sh!t..Even though most won't admit it...I'm sure you know all that anyway..Just my opinion..

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
Old 03-09-2008, 01:15 PM   #32
Slingah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Suggestions to make this site better?
1. Use the ignore feature if there is someone on the site that you can't stand.
2. Don't call people names or make fun of the way they look.
3. Think and read your post before hitting the submit key.
4. Grow a little bit of thick skin
5. Don't beat a dead horse
thats it for now

Live at Leeds
Old 03-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #33
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishaholic18 View Post
Ya know John, I understand it's your site and you can do whatever you want with it but If your are gonna ban Bill for said reasons ya may as well ban probably 20 other guys..including myself.I can show you many times I've been personally attacked here, I just don't make a big deal of it..I think the problem is the guys who make a huge ordeal out of nothing..I also think the site will be effected by the ban..Believe it or not..Controversy brings customers..People love that sh!t..Even though most won't admit it...I'm sure you know all that anyway..Just my opinion..
So in order to have a better site we should encourage people to beat each other up? I don't think so.

If this all causes a lot of people to move on because there will be less train wrecks than that is unfortunately something we'll need to deal with. I have had enough with people continuously attacking for sport.

That is the risk I'll have to take. We've done a fair amount of good here and lots of people have learned some things they otherwise would not have and a LOT of people have made friends they otherwise would not have. If I can keep THAT going, the good this site does, without a lot of the fighting and controversy - even if slower - than that is what I'll do.

The fights and train wrecks - while occasionally entertaining - it does get old after a while.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #34
Raven

Thumbs up i have to agree

with F18 DAVE

not because i personally like The #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&

but because controversy is what draws people to a story
and that was literally proven on Television as what brings people to watch a particular show...
i just saw a whole show on that subject in fact.

that being said... it may not apply in this particular situation.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #35
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
My .02 cents.......I have had my share of head butting with a few folks here...mostly early on, but I quickly learned that I needed to respect others opinions whether I agreed with them or not I still needed to respect them and understand that everyone has an opinion. As F-18 said I have mended the fence with those that I had problems with and its all good. Most importantly folks need to understand that there are many different people on here that have many different levels of fishing experience from "Newbie" on up to the so-called "Sharpie"....I prefer to simply call them "experienced". Folks questions come from those different levels of knowledge, so instead of jumping all over a "Newbie" because they ask a question that those who are more "experienced" might find inane and stupid in their opinion is a valid question to those who ask it. So either help out with some advice or just do not comment. Also if someone is bothered by someone, their post or their opinion.....no need to start a big flame war over it....just do not comment and such silliness will die a quick death by sliding down the thread list into obscurity. I do not get involved in the "chit-slingin" threads anymore.....life is too short. In the immortal words of Rodney King......."Has anyone seen my crack pipe?".........opppps...wrong quote.....I meant to say....."Can't we all just get along?"

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 01:39 PM   #36
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I wandered in here for the free donuts and just never left!

Old 03-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #37
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by piemma View Post
So I suppose I will be the next guy banned. After all, I stick up for Billl. I share his views and opinions and I, like him, don't suffer fools very well..
Another Bill figured this out already.

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool. "

William Shakespeare

We should all keep that truth in mind and we would treat each other better.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:48 PM   #38
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Free Donuts????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I wandered in here for the free donuts and just never left!
We get Free donuts...??
Old 03-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #39
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Not since I showed up!

Old 03-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #40
Katie
Scuttlebutt

Send a message via AIM to Katie Send a message via MSN to Katie Send a message via Skype™ to Katie
Shucks, was in the mood for a chocolate glazed one.

Things like this happen, just gotta let the dust settle.

Wasajigifying -[ was - a - jig-i-fy-ing] - the concept of not knowing what the hell your saying.

My Photography Page!
Old 03-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #41
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
So in order to have a better site we should encourage people to beat each other up? I don't think so.
That's not what I meant..That's funny though..LOL

Why do you think it is that Billy (#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&) hits a nerve with guys more than most?

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
Old 03-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #42
shorehunter

JohnR, Just like to say this is a great site. This problem is
not just this site. Most blogs are having the same problem.
It is to easy to trash someone on the net. Just hit enter
and sit back. We all bb but there is a line you dont cross.
As for #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& never met the man. Did enjoy his posts.
He did last season what all of us are fishing for. Call it
luck or skill dosnt mater. The week he was on fire ever member here wanted to have his luck or skill.
Hope ever one here has a great season and JohnR thanks for a great
site. If it wasnt for this site most of us would have gone crazy this winter. Yeah I know I am already crazy
Old 03-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #43
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Guys and Gals. I want to move away from the opinions Pro or Anti #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&. He requested that he not post for a while, I agreed.

For now, where do we want to go from here? What will make the site better? What is important to you all that we try to do? Start a new thread for this?

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 03-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #44
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Start a new thread for this?
Yup..

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

Old 03-09-2008, 03:35 PM   #45
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
Another Bill figured this out already.

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool. "

William Shakespeare

We should all keep that truth in mind and we would treat each other better.
At least I know I am a fool. So I would guess that makes me wise according to Mr. Shakespeare's logic.

No boat, back in the suds.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #46
Flaptail

Quote:
Guys and Gals. I want to move away from the opinions Pro or Anti #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&. He requested that he not post for a while, I agreed.

For now, where do we want to go from here? What will make the site better? What is important to you all that we try to do? Start a new thread for this?
Respect each other and try to remember where we all once were starting out in this sport and then post a few..............................

Videos of hot chicks with big hooters fishing in teeny weeny bikinis?

Just a thought....

Why even try.........
Old 03-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #47
Backbeach Jake

When I'm reading the posts here, I try to keep in mind that I don't know the guy or gal behind that nifty nickname, or what their experience may or may not be. If they are relating a story, I listen. If MY experiences don't jibe, I at least know that everyone's angle of view is different, and so may be their perception. Still with me?
Now having heard their tale and noting that my version is different, I don't immediately judge them as wrong or a liar and call them out. I wouldn't do that in a face to face situation, and I sure as hell wouldn't do that from the safety of my keyboard. I've had it done to me, and I have to tell you, it gets my ass right out right now. If nothing else, listen and make note that that is another way your version of the situation could have gone. IMHO this is the cause of many flame wars on the interblabweb and also and even more sadly why more experienced and knowledgeable fishermen rarely post. I've said it before "you'd be surprised who lurks here" . YMMV

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 03-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #48
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I think JR should be able to do what he wants when he wants. It is his yard, he sets the rules. With that being said if any one of us wakes up one morning and can't post we only have ourselves to blame. Summer is coming.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 03-09-2008, 08:39 PM   #49
Raven

Arrow great idea Flaptail

but then S-B would stand for string bikini instead of striped bass

lol... Swimmer .......... i'll settle for spring

I think as a recreational fisherman myself who also fishes for food for the table...
( mostly stocked trout) as i practice catch and release of most Bass
so i can ... catch them again another day...

we need to adopt less of a PRO attitude and more of a Professor Moriarty, Back Beach Jake attitude.
that being to fish for the
FUN of it and try and emphasize that here a bit more...

SINCE.....we sure seem to be that way with plug building

I mean ....were are not in a serious big money competition with one another...
so why not try a little harder to accomplish that...

that would make S-B a better site.... then as a Group we can be more effective, all getting along...
to fight the real enemy which is the people who try and pull the LAND grab ,denial of fishing access and
use the conservation laws against us... groups - just my opinion.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #50
surfkaster

don't understand?

Why did he have to, or want to ask to be banned? Why didn't he just stop posting?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #51
Skitterpop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeach Jake View Post
When I'm reading the posts here, I try to keep in mind that I don't know the guy or gal behind that nifty nickname, or what their experience may or may not be. If they are relating a story, I listen. If MY experiences don't jibe, I at least know that everyone's angle of view is different, and so may be their perception. Still with me?
Now having heard their tale and noting that my version is different, I don't immediately judge them as wrong or a liar and call them out. I wouldn't do that in a face to face situation, and I sure as hell wouldn't do that from the safety of my keyboard. I've had it done to me, and I have to tell you, it gets my ass right out right now. If nothing else, listen and make note that that is another way your version of the situation could have gone. IMHO this is the cause of many flame wars on the interblabweb and also and even more sadly why more experienced and knowledgeable fishermen rarely post. I've said it before "you'd be surprised who lurks here" . YMMV
Jake I wish I could hold my tongue more till it gets to talk with my brain more like you

Good health and family
Old 03-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #52
scoobe
West Siiiiiiiiide

But Bob I love spam... so delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattoobob View Post
OH the Drama,

The biggest reason most of these people are on this site is personal agendas and to spam there products, I am sick and tired of it

Lookin for my big'un!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:21 AM   #53
Backbeach Jake

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitterpop View Post
Jake I wish I could hold my tongue more till it gets to talk with my brain more like you
That's quite a rare event for me really, kinda like an eclipse or something. I wondered where those voices were coming from...How you doing these days, Mike?

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
Thomas Paine
Old 03-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #54
Duke41
got gas?

The winter doldrums are ripping us up. Lets focus on the Tackle show and the fact that spring begins on March 22nd. As well I will suffer through my 47 birthday on the 23rd. lol. I have met a few guys on this site and they were crafty,honest,hardworking, night prowling fisherman. So go to hooters crack a beer and fricking relax for gosh sakes. I would like to note that I am usually the one the starts at least 1 late winter flame war. I guess the drugs are working. lol
Old 03-10-2008, 07:15 AM   #55
chris L

its only the freaking internet !!!!!

its taken way too serious .

now where did I store those bikini clad ladies .
Old 03-10-2008, 07:44 AM   #56
Raven

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke41 View Post
The winter doldrums are ripping us up. Lets focus on the Tackle show and the fact that spring begins on March 22nd. As well I will suffer through my 47 birthday on the 23rd. lol. I have met a few guys on this site and they were crafty,honest,hardworking, night prowling fisherman. So go to hooters crack a beer and fricking relax for gosh sakes. I would like to note that I am usually the one the starts at least 1 late winter flame war. I guess the drugs are working. lol

Amen to that......

why? you don't like birthday CAKE?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:58 AM   #57
MrHunters
What was that!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris L View Post
its only the freaking internet !!!!!

its taken way too serious .

now where did I store those bikini clad ladies .
I just had a big long post written up and then I read this which basically summed it up.

I'm not going to say lighten up or anything like that. Just everyone is responsible for their posts good bad or indifferent and if it creates an opinion or feeling which in turn gets taken personally, next time maybe they shouldn't post.

Compared to some other forums I belong to this is NOTHING. Maybe I haven't seen any of the meat and potato flame wars but this site is relatively very tame.

For a "family fishing site" (which I wonder if you took a survey, how many member would prefer a more sailor talk type forum), JR has pretty tough job at keeping a balance of what is appropriate.

We as a society love "stupid drama" because it gives us an opportunity to stop thinking and just be entertained. That's why, our society as a collective whole from the outside looks pretty dumb. There is just SO much of it and we have basically stopped thinking.

Have you ever been with a bunch of friends and there is that one embarrassing guy or girl in the group you just want to stop or go away.. Why? because from the outside he or she is also representing you. I assume this is what john has to deal with on a daily basis.

my vote, bring in the bikini's and sailor talk and lighten the f up. OK Fine I said it!

ps: guess it got pretty long anyway

Last edited by MrHunters; 03-10-2008 at 08:05 AM..
Old 03-10-2008, 08:15 AM   #58
Raven

Arrow mood swings

Something to remember is....

that we all are subject to vast mood swings because of the many variables in our daily living....
even adverse reactions to medications (even those found in our drinking water.... )
a bad dream we don't even remember or a past experience that bothered us more than we ever realized...

~That can spur a flammable post to vent and then later you realize that your mood has completely changed
and now you feel completely different than before......or that you have since modified your attitude already ....

sometimes what you really need is a long walk to get an endorphin release by your brain to give you that
sense of well being or to hear some unexpected good news....

nothing is written in stone.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #59
Adamfishes

Send a message via AIM to Adamfishes
John-

One way to make the site better might be getting more action in on the how to board. Maybe people asking the "newbie" type of questions should write them there? Some great reading material in that section
Old 03-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #60
Plum Crazy

One thing we need to do is stick together.
I care about conservation and access.
I guess working for a non profit org sets my sights a little differently.

I really don't post much as I am very far from being any kind of expert on anything.
I fish for fun, don't care much about all the scientifics and catch when I catch.
That doesn't mean I don't enjoy learning from all of you, it just means I am gonna do what I wanna do anyway.
The superior knowledge here has stopped me dead from asking any questions.
I'd feel like an idiot if I asked a simple question.
So I lurk around quite a bit.
Only because I love hearing the stories.
It makes me feel like I am not alone in what I think sometimes.
I don't like the BS so much.
For the most part I fish as long and as hard as I can in the atmosphere I prefer.
That is when I can have my camper on the beach.
I enjoy that more than anything.
But due to access problems I walk the beach from April to September.
I have often felt that there is no way I can seek out info here because I am not the one going after the fifty.
I am only going for dinner.
I only want to enjoy the solitude and peace and the outright joy I have fishing the striper surf.
I don't feel the need to debate that with anyone so I just stay quiet and read all of your joys!
If I ever feel I have learned anything to share, I will.
One thing I do suggest is that if you want help on making a better site you move this to a more appetizing thread.

Last edited by Plum Crazy; 03-10-2008 at 01:08 PM..

"It's not about the fish, it's about fishing for the fish. The fish is gravy."
Closed Thread