Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #31
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
reading to your kid at a young age is so important. I always put that as a high priority and read to him for a minimum of 45 minutes before he goes to bed. This is actually why i dont night fish much any more... kid first...

You are a good responsible parent Nebe, which was my original point.

As i mentioned having a brother and son teaching in inner city schools,
and having substitute taught myself for 4 years after retiring i have a pretty good feel for what goes on.

It's not the facilities that need more $ thrown at them, it's more parents like yourself that put their kids first.

Like John said, kids have it tough. Parents need to go and spend a few days in their kid's school,
sitting in the classroom and changing classes to see what really goes on with the disruptions and how poorly kids treat each other.

The behavior issues fall on the parents, not the teachers or government. It all comes down to what kids are taught in the home.

" Choose Life "
Old 06-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #32
Nebe

Old 06-05-2008, 11:10 AM   #33
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I preface my remarks by saying I have no children

But I use to watch my sister-in-law (alot by the way, she is cute) walk around with one of those baby slings slung over her shoulder reading to which ever of the three children she has raised suspended in the sling. Oldest child Jake is and was obsessed with reading. Second one equally so. Third one is smart but didn't take to it quite as well, slight disabilty, but like Nebe and all of you Dads here know reading to your children is extremely important. In my house nobody could make me do anything. I suffered because of that attitude. My brother Squid Kids Dad read and still does an enormous amount, romantic novels, go figure.

I applaud all of you who take the time to teach your children to read. Don't forget math, and writing techniques as well.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 06-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #34
Nebe

I knew I was in trouble when I found him reading this...

Sadly, I can see no way he would not be boored out of his mind in school when he is older. homeschool?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reading.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	27589  
Old 06-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #35
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineyardblues View Post
In my eyes, the problem is that the teachers are forced to make sure the students can pass tests. So rather than spend the day educating the kids and give them a well balanced dose of knowlege, they are giving them the answers to the tests to memorize.
VB
In my RI town, the children drilled for the standardized tests for three weeks and then only achieve average scores in the 70's. Don't be fooled, the inner citys are not the only problem. What the $#%^ are we getting for the money we are spending? If I performed at that level consistently I would at least not get a raise and most probably be FIRED, not reaping a 3% raise on top of a #$%^&ing step increases and no increase in the cost of my healthcare, how about tying compensation back to performance??

We read to our kids as babies and now they chew through books like they are going out of style, they are creative and perform in school, maybe they are lucky they have a good mother, because it isn't the school system. My oldest takes stuff apart and builds things in his desk during school, no he isn't bored

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #36
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
maybe they are lucky they have a good mother, because it isn't the school system.
From what Clammer has told me, you should give yourself more credit.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:48 PM   #37
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Even if I get everything else in my life right, my children are the only legacy I can leave that can make a difference in the future..

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 06-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #38
Nebe

So true.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #39
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
Even if I get everything else in my life right, my children are the only legacy I can leave that can make a difference in the future..
Yup for sure, and when ya hit your 60's and look back, you'll know what you did for your family is the ONLY thing that matters.

" Choose Life "
Old 06-06-2008, 07:22 PM   #40
Joe

I pull the plug on SRI each day at 3:30 to do homework - then I cook, then I do more SRI at night.
My kid tested above average - 85% - but that is with about 60 minutes per day of one-on-one. Apart from the work he does on his own - this consists of teaching him concepts associated with math and language and then doing drills on grammar, times tables, etc. Without that work, he would have tanked. I don't know how people who don't have the skills themselves, or who get home at 6:30 can do it.