Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 06-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #31
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Yes, it's called EXECUTIVE OVERSIGHT.

While this may appear strange and new, it's actually a primary function of the US Senate. Many Americans seem to have forget as it was absent from 2002 - 2006.

-spence
Like The Patriots Spy Gate ? Money well spent. It's all politcs and grandstanding, at our expense. It's a friggen joke.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #32
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnedStripes44 View Post
Bush's administration maintains the list. The Bush administration also fashions itself the protector of america from "terrorist killers". I'm just establishing relevancy in alluding to the vagueries of this "war on terror".

The Bin Laden thing, I dont know if we ever had him in custody. We may have had an opportunity to kill him one way or the other, but custody. I dont know, I might have to ask you to substantiate that. And speaking of threats to the west. It was pre 9/11 Bush who said "I dont feel like swatting flies" in reference to the terrorist.

By the way that was awfully confusing analogy, I am having trouble making the connections between Bin Laden and Mandela.
Why didn't Clinton remove The Noble Prize winners name. Too busy?

Didn't Al Gore win one of those.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #33
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Like The Patriots Spy Gate ? Money well spent. It's all politcs and grandstanding, at our expense. It's a friggen joke.

EXECUTIVE OVERSIGHT

If you're going to deke at least wiggle your hips a bit.

-spence
Old 06-07-2008, 11:59 AM   #34
stripersnipr

He really did a Hell of job cleaning that place up though, didn't he?

Last edited by stripersnipr; 06-07-2008 at 03:29 PM..

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Old 06-09-2008, 09:30 AM   #35
fishbones

Quote:
Bush's administration maintains the list. The Bush administration also fashions itself the protector of america from "terrorist killers". I'm just establishing relevancy in alluding to the vagueries of this "war on terror".

The Bin Laden thing, I dont know if we ever had him in custody. We may have had an opportunity to kill him one way or the other, but custody. I dont know, I might have to ask you to substantiate that. And speaking of threats to the west. It was pre 9/11 Bush who said "I dont feel like swatting flies" in reference to the terrorist.

By the way that was awfully confusing analogy, I am having trouble making the connections between Bin Laden and Mandela.
All right, I'm going to respond against my better judgement. It seems that you just don't get it.

For someone who comments on so much about politics and world events, you should know about the Clinton/Bin Laden situation. If you're not familiar, I'll just let you look it up. It's pretty easy to find. And, there is no connection between BinLaden and Mandela (except that they are both on the "list"). All I was doing was showing you that you can blame an administration for something it's not responsible for if you want to disregard all the facts.

Bottom line is that you are going to blame the current administration for anything that you can, whether you have the facts or not. I can't change your hatred for Republicans, nor will I try to.

All I did was point out that you posted something that was inaccurate and all you had to do was say "thanks for pointing it out. I didn't know that he was put on that list years ago". And by your standards, Clinton deserves just as much flack as Bush for Mandela being on that list.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:37 AM   #36
fishbones

Quote:
Pubes, huh. I dont recall you advocating the same standards of decency for "tree huggers" and "kool aid drinkers"
Check all of my posts and see if I have ever used childish, distasteful language to describe any political party. I'm not an advocate for anyone. All I did was point out the word you used because it shows how you feel about an entire group of people. You don't hide your hate very well.

And as for you mentioning the other thread about hating Democrats, I can't really comment on it. I've never read through the thread, so I wouldn't feel comfortable commenting on it. But, I'm sure it's a nice read and is purely someones opinion.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:42 AM   #37
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
For someone who comments on so much about politics and world events, you should know about the Clinton/Bin Laden situation. If you're not familiar, I'll just let you look it up. It's pretty easy to find.
By situation you mean the application of hindsight to score political points?

Clinton certainly could have done more, but they did seem to be tracking the threats in a serious manner, which all but stopped under Bush before 9/11.

-spence
Old 06-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #38
fishbones

Spence, that's exactly what I mean. Blaming Clinton for 9/11 is irresponsible, but I can certainly find enough stuff on the internet to make it suit that argument. The guy who started the thread did it only to bash the Bush administration, without having the facts. He positioned his post so that it looked like Bush put Mandela on the list. It suited his anti Republican rhetoric, so he threw it out there.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #39
spence

I would certainly agree that knee jerk responses to stories like this don't add value, and both sides (including myself at times) are guilty.

What's more important is the ability to course correct if new information becomes available.

That being said, there's a ton of bogus stuff out there that's cited as fact. It's very difficult to know what's what.

-spence
Old 06-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #40
daceman63

the problem is that we only have the two major parties and realistically they can both be extremely radical in their positions. Problem is though in securing votes based on their differences they cause the rest of us to lose sight of the real issues that affect us everyday.

"I want a black President!"
"I want a woman President!"
"I want a democrat!"
"I want a republican!"

What I want is someone competant who has the best interest of this nation and it citizens. All we usually get is some loser with a personal agenda.

None of them want to attack the real issues and almost all seem reactive vs. proactive...

Clinton could have used more energy and resources on that world trade center underground bombing....and Bush could have used more dillegence when he took office.

End result is lots of people died in the initial attack and now soldiers are are being killed everyday in Iraq. They play with our emotions over our dead soldiers for their political gain when they should be working together to resolve the situation in Iraq and bring our people home safely.

As far as Mandela being on any blacklist I could give a crap. Who put him there and how long he's been on it means even less to me. If the President, Republican or Democrat, has time to review these stupid little lists I would prefer he take another job and let someone lead the country who actually can do some good.

We have serious issues here at home and they need to be resolved. We have thousands of soldiers in harms way and they need to be home with their families.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #41
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
That being said, there's a ton of bogus stuff out there that's cited as fact. It's very difficult to know what's what.

-spence
That's why I get all of my news and current events from snopes.com and theonion.com. They're the only legitimate news sources on the internet.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #42
EarnedStripes44

I just steal my news off someones front lawn. Can't afford the fuel surcharges anymore.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:08 AM   #43
EarnedStripes44

But Bones, I do understand and respect your angle. I should not let my disdain for the Bush Administration override political caution.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #44
buckman

I've learned alot just from reading these post. It's good from both sides. We kind of sort through the retoric and get called out if we are full of it. Good job.