Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 07-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Pretzeled

Long trip, long walk, difficult wade, nice night, high quality territory, alone. Fishing was slow but enough scattered small fish (24-30" stuff) over a shallow rock bar at low tide on a small white needle to be worth sticking around. Several hours on I finally found a decent one. An impressive run against full sized tackle. Stopped her and got her 1/2 way back when she started to go again.....then slack. Swore, reeled in, and found this. No weed so I don't think it was a rub off. Regular 3/0 hook. Made me smile. Beaten fair and square.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pretzelhook.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	63093  
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #2
Slipknot
Super Moderator

That was one STRONG fish
better luck next time George

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
numbskull

Yes, yes.....I know about 6x's. I've had those crushed too, however, and smaller plugs often don't carry them well. So I'm thinking about cheating next time. Planning to try in-line hooks. I've used them in current on the magic swimmer and they've done well when the plug is moving fast. I've tried them on the skinny donny (which required retrofitting with wire hook hangers and epoxy) but the jury is still out. The action is more vigorous and the few fish I've been able to find by day and boat with it have failed to get hooked. A needle might be a different story, however, although I'll be interested to see how well these work on a slow moving plug (I have a concern they may get pushed out of the way when a fish hits less aggressively). The needle shown is a one-off Eddy gave me some years ago. I've not tried it (the bucktail is a borrowed one off another plug). We'll see. Anybody else trying them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	singlehooks.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	63094  
Old 07-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
That was one STRONG fish
better luck next time George
Hooked only 4 "big" (i.e., made real runs) beach fish in June. Lost 3 of them. One to a crushed hook, one to a leader/hook wrap (with which the fish unhooks itself), and one to leader break after the fish found a rock....although more likely it was stupidity on my part for being lazy and not changing my shock leader (after experimenting with only #20 Fluoro during a full moon and ignoring the inevitable nicking just above the quick link after multiple small fish).

Strangely, as much as I hate dropping a special fish I find losing them drives me to fish more than catching them. So it is all good in the long run.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #5
spence

New model VMC, has the tip guard on the third tine so you won't poke yourself.
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

Hate to see a hooked fish lost George .If you were fishen sand I would suggest a lighter drag and let the fish go for a ride but since you fish in rocks I can't help.
PS Ilove those needles
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #7
JLH

Those ones hurt! I've considering trying those inline hooks but everyone I know that has tried them has gone back to trebles pretty quick.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
JLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

At first I thought you took up yoga. Sounds like motivation to me and a good rush. A cut hook too. Good to see the cut area held up with the tine twisting like that.
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:37 AM   #9
Nebe

This is what keeps us coming back.....To settle the score
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
eskimo

Yikes!

Couldn't get into the inline hooks although a few buds fish em and like em so far. During the retrieve I feel like they lay back onto the plug offering less exposure. I fish mostly 6X for the exception of a few temperamental plugs which I still fish 4X on.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote