Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 04-19-2007, 04:14 PM   #1
Jimbo

Boxer pup

My wife's following a desire she's had for many years and getting a boxer pup. We're not new to keeping dogs, but at least from the Boxers for Dummies book, it looks like they can be great family dogs but can take some work training. Anyone else got one or any tips you might want to share. (By the way, it's going to be a female, which means it's me and the neutered tomcat against four women in the house if there's any additional advice to the end).
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
fishaholic18
Finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
My wife's following a desire she's had for many years and getting a boxer pup. We're not new to keeping dogs, but at least from the Boxers for Dummies book, it looks like they can be great family dogs but can take some work training. Anyone else got one or any tips you might want to share. (By the way, it's going to be a female, which means it's me and the neutered tomcat against four women in the house if there's any additional advice to the end).
Patience,lots of it.
I've had many dogs throughout the years.
My newest, 3yo now, is a Weimeraner, I took hin to the training classes they have at Pet Smart. I just did the basic training once a week. It was well worth it, I learned a lot and so did he. I'd give it a shot if I were you, it was only 1 hour a week and a little homework, and it was fun.

F-18®
It IsWhat It Is

¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º >¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((( º>
fishaholic18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
stripersnipr

Boxers are great, gentle dogs, but as I sadly found out last August they dont have a real long life expectancy. Nine years flew by. RIP Mandy.
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Boxer

I've had a few for the past 12 years and love them !!!

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
sok
North Shore Lurker

Buy a cup.
They call them boxers for a reason.
Trust me. All muscle and they like to jump at people.
Best personality/character of any dog I have ever seen.
Great dogs.
Maybe it's just me. And how I saw him/them.
Never saw the dog with kids.
Never really thought of them as gentle.
sok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
Jay Dog

Freind of mine has one that was raised with his kids. They or the neighbor kids can play with that dog all day long grab it's ears and hang off it no problem. An adult who it's been introduced to no problem. But if a stranger comes around the kids it gets very protective. Not aggressive just alert and watchful, which is a good thing.
Jay Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
reelecstasy
Boston Anglah

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hangin free
I have been training dogs for over 15 yrs, and Boxers are my very favorite breed.
They have so much energy, all you have to do is focus it and they are amazing..........

Used hard and put away dirty....
reelecstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #8
sok
North Shore Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dog View Post
Freind of mine has one that was raised with his kids. They or the neighbor kids can play with that dog all day long grab it's ears and hang off it no problem. An adult who it's been introduced to no problem. But if a stranger comes around the kids it gets very protective. Not aggressive just alert and watchful, which is a good thing.
Kind of figured that.
Just never saw the ones I knew with kids.
sok is offline   Reply With Quote