Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 10-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Anyone have the Hobie Pro Angler?

I really want to get a fishing kayak. A marina nearby has a leftover Hobie Pro Angler that I can get for $2,160, which seems like a pretty good deal.

Anyone have this kayak that can give me their opinion?
Jim in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

here's one w/ all the bells and whistles for $2400...

New England Kayak Fishing • View topic - 2010 Hobie Pro Angler

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #3
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

BigFish has one. Keep in mind the thing is a monster and very difficult to lift by yourself, let alone getting it on top of a car or truck. If you can deal with the bulk, I hear it is a great kayak. It will keep you high and dry and I believe you can even stand in it without much of a problem in calm waters.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I have one! I absolutely love it and recommend it highly! The biggest obstacle for me to overcome with it was transporting it as it is a BEAST!!! I have a 2009 I bought new.....and I have a full size Chevy truck and I put the Yakima Racks on the truck to carry it......well it was just too much kayak for me to load and unload by myself....its just so heavy and awkward and I am no small guy at 6'5" and 300 pounds! So this past spring I purchased a small trailer for it and things have been great since! Many do put theirs on the roof of their car or SUV.....that is something you will have to consider if you purchase a PA! As for the yak itself....its amazing! Comfortable, a great platform to fish fresh and saltwater and it moves effortlessly through the water no matter the wind! BigBo also has a PA he just bought used and maybe he can chime in but I have had mine for 2 seasons and can't wait to use it more next season than I did this season! Feel free to ask any questions you may have.....I will be glad to help in any way I can!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Jim if that price is for a brand new leftover....jump on it!! Great price! They are at $2,500 right now for new!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #6
blondterror

the other Hobie model you should consider is the Revolution Fish. It is 13.5 feet and the hull wt is 68lbs without the drive and seat. With a roller on the back rack position ... I can load the yak on my Passat wagon solo.

It is very popular in the Northeast with the NE Fishing kayak crew. Some nights in June- August at Joppa flats you may see 4-5 guys fishing in their Revos and all have GPS/fishfinders and VHF radios pinned to their PFDs.

It is also about 400-500 less than the Pro angler.

I have fished with my Revo Fish for 2 summers and have landed several 40 inch Stripers without any problems fishing at night.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have specific questions on the revo Fish Hobie yak...

Chris

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #7
Jim in CT

Thanks guys. I have 2 good friends who have Hobie Outbacks and love them. One of them thought, for reasons unknown to me, that the Pro Angler would be better suited to freshwater than saltwater.

If it matters, I plan to use it between Niantic, CT and Pt Judith. Trolling the tube & worm or casting eels on light spinning stuff. What I really need is to figure out a way to get the kayak out to Fishers Island at 4 AM, as the backside of Fishers is my favorite place to fish.

Bigfish, that price is for leftover (unused). It does seem like a great price. Where do you use yours?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Jim I use mine equally between fresh and saltwater and I have zero problem in the saltwater.....we joke and call it the "Aircraft Carrier" because of its size and its incredible stability! My wife owns an Outback and that is pretty awesome too but I am thrilled with my PA. Did I mention how comfortable it is?? That seat is like a Lazy Boy! My favorite part, being someone who loves to fish plugs, is the storage between the legs forward of the seat.......I have everything I need right between my knees.........lots of fun!

Old 10-28-2010, 07:52 AM   #9
Jim in CT

Bigfish, since your house has both the Outback and the ProAngler...

I'm 6'1" and 200 pounds. I'd rather not have to buy a trailer for the kayak, I was hoping for somehting I could put on the minivan. Would I feel too squeezed in the Outback? This dealer also has a leftover Outback, not sure of the price.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I think the Outback would do you just fine Jim all things considered! Savings, transportation, comfort and stability! My problem is I got you by 4 inches and 100 pounds so I really need a bit more room!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #11
blondterror

The Revolution Fish is intermediate between the Outback and the Pro Angler. You can cartop it on your van and it is very stable as well. I do not recommend standing in it but i know guys that flycast standing in one.

The Revo has good storage as well but not as much space as the PA. Checl out the videos on the Hobie kayak site.

Hobie Cat Company - Mirage Revolution

I often fish side saddle in my Revolution when casting plugs in both SW and FW.

I agree fishing the back side of Fishers Island in a yak would be incredible at dawn in June, Jul, aug, and sept. I read the article about this shoreline in OTW a few issues back.

Blond Terror
Old 10-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #12
blondterror

Correction on the hull weight... it is 58 lbs not 68... thatmakes a big diff when you are cartopping....

Blond Terror
Old 10-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #13
blondterror

Jim-

If you are not adverse to taking a drive up to newport, NH (Lake sunapee area) the local dealer "Alden of Sunapee" in newport is very aggressive on end of yr pricing and no sales tax. I bought mine from him and he also threw in a free fishing life jacket as well.

here is the like to his website...

Alden of Sunapee - Kayaks Canoes Sailboats Rowing Shells Newport NH Central New Hampshire

Blond Terror
Old 11-07-2010, 05:46 AM   #14
blondterror

I was at the Newport, NH Hobie dealer yesterday buying Turbo Fins for my Revolution Fish Hobie. He has several Revolution Fish yaks in stock including a 2010 demo one that he is selling for big discount.

Blond Terror
Old 11-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #15
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Larry, We need to get you a Hull number for your's.......like they put on the Navy Ships.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #16
Backbeach Jake

NCC-1701-BF
After watching and fishing with Hobie Kayaks I've decided that they are a true revolution in kayaking. No paddler can keep up. Hands free fishing, this is most important paying out line to troll lures or tube and worm. Just incredible technology. If one were within my means, I'd have one in a New York minute!!
Backbeach Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #17
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

hobie hulls are numbered .. i had to put it on my registry card before sending it in .. whatever you get ... Turbo fins and sailing rudder are a great upgrade ..

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #18
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Kevin is joking about how we call the Pro Angler an aircraft carrier Eddie! You know the numbers they have on the side of the ship?