Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Muskyslayer96

Crystal clear spray coat durability

I've been having some E-tex issues that I can't explain????? Still working it out.

I've made some custom bottle openers and grill utensils for family as X-mas gifts. They all have a coat of E-tex, then paint, then Crystal clear spray, then detail paint, then 2 more coats of crystal clear spray.

Does anyone have some advice on how durable multiple coats of crystal clear spray will be for something that won't be in the water, but will be handled quite a bit (Bottle opener in Wisconsin)

Time is short as I will have to attempt the E-tex tomorrow at the latest to fix any issues before Friday.

Thanks in advance for the tips, Happy Holidays

MS

Muskyslayer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
pbadad

MS. I've been using Flexcoat Lure coating for 2 yrs. This stuff blows away E-tex. Dries hard and smooth w/o a drying spinner. Hang and flip a few times and let it dry. They have 2 kinds.I use the one for rocks. Meaning the more durable finish. I called Flexcoat and by mitake I got a knowledgable guy, Name escapes me. Don't hold me to it but it might start with a R. You can go on their website for products and a phone number. Ask for technical support. I used almost all of it. I'll eventually will be calling to get more. I turned a knife handle for a friend then stained and coated the handle. Amazing finish. There is no name that I know it's called, just lure finish. I also like to use a heat gun to breal up the tension b/4 I flip and hang. I use 12cc flexcoat syringes to measure. IMPORTANT equal as with all 2 part epoxies. Hope this may give you some help.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
saltyric

I know its not a direct answer to your question, but have you tried "Famowood bar top epoxy"? Been using it for years without issues.....Cheap and availible at the HD. Just a thought. Good luck

Fish Rule!
saltyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
iamskippy

When i first started i used crystal clear coat and had major issues, and on figured this out thanks to a local builder who pointed out the issue.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
MS. I've been using Flexcoat Lure coating for 2 yrs. This stuff blows away E-tex. Dries hard and smooth w/o a drying spinner. Hang and flip a few times and let it dry. They have 2 kinds.I use the one for rocks. Meaning the more durable finish. I called Flexcoat and by mitake I got a knowledgable guy, Name escapes me. Don't hold me to it but it might start with a R. You can go on their website for products and a phone number. Ask for technical support. I used almost all of it. I'll eventually will be calling to get more. I turned a knife handle for a friend then stained and coated the handle. Amazing finish. There is no name that I know it's called, just lure finish. I also like to use a heat gun to breal up the tension b/4 I flip and hang. I use 12cc flexcoat syringes to measure. IMPORTANT equal as with all 2 part epoxies. Hope this may give you some help.
MS
i won one of his lures in that auction and its sitting on the side of yours ans his finish is gorgeous
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
IFG
Rocket Launcher

Send a message via AIM to IFG Send a message via Yahoo to IFG
IFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Merry Xmas IFG.

sorry I can't offer any info on crystal clear. I used UPOL for a while for scratch coats,and actual top coat in a pinch. Worked good but the smell could end a marriage. I gave that up scratch coats when I found the sys. 3 clear coat stuck better to the paint so why add another step. Good luck and Merry X mas

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

It's not gonna hold up as well as epoxy naturally but it can be resprayed down the road easy enough.

it looks pretty good by itself, high gloss
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote