Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 09-30-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Texting While Driving Law!!!

It goes into effect today......and I hope they catch very one of you sorry so-and-sos and you get a huge ticket and a surcharge on your insurance!!! Stupidest thing ever invented and the sheeple......they love it!!! Just wish you fools were looking up at me while driving by so you could see me flipping you off!!!!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Will this cut down on your S-B.com posting rate.......

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

I do not text....at all.....AT ALL!!!! People have a perfectly functioning phone and they choose to text????

Old 09-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
redlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
I do not text....at all.....AT ALL!!!! People have a perfectly functioning phone and they choose to text????
Larry, did you just almost run someone over typing this?
It isn't an alibi for the judge........
redlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
Redsoxticket

Typing the numbers to make a phone call is like texting but will it warrant a ticket ?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Redsoxticket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Nope!!! Stupid!!! They should have made it an across the board law and include ALL cell phone use!!!! Too many loopholes in the law!

Old 09-30-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
BigBo

I have people I work with that can't even do their job because they're too busy texting when they should be working.
To me, texting is a step backwards in technology. I hate it too Larry.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Typing address into a GPS is OK still to do....that is not supposedly texting and distracting to your driving...one more time

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #9
luds
Night Stalker

For those of us in the do more with less working world texting and mobile device e-mail can be our life line. What better way to make use of otherwise wasted bumper to bumper commuting time that can take hours. This law should be age specific just like the new law regarding teenage cell phone use while driving. I have no problem banning teens from texting. There should be extra fines for sexting unless they're 18 of course. If I had my way there wouldn't be cell phones but the reality is to survive and prosper in the corporate world and put food on the table for your family you need to make use of every minute in your day. The phone doesn't exactly cut it either since documentation is key and when you're sitting in traffic @ 6:30 in the morning it might not be the best time to call someone. Might result in some fatalities, smeared winshields, and fender benders but that's what makes the world go round these days. Texting isn't the problem. It's the demands put on people that have to do it.

luds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Dick Durand

Victor - Do I sense any irony given that your post was from a mobile phone?
Dick Durand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Texting most certainly is the problem! Texting while driving is now killing more people then driving while drunk!!!!!!! Its senseless bull%$%$%$%$ and most texts are just nonsensical drivel that is not necessary in the least!

Example: "What are you doing?"

Response: "Nothing.....what are you doing?"

Response: "Texting you.....what do you think I am doing?"

Is any of it really the relevant or important that it can't wait??? Really??? We did without cell phones so well for so long!!!

Ask Piemma if the girl that crippled and almost killed his brother in law was "Putting food on the table" when she hit him???? You can rationalize texting and its "fundamental uses" all you want.....but you have a 'FULLY FUNCTIONING PHONE' IN YOUR HAND....USE THE DAMN THING AND AT LEAST KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE F-IN ROAD!!!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #12
Rob Rockcrawler

No more S-B sticker sighting posts while driving down the pike.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #13
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Luds: Maybe you wouldn't be sitting in traffic backups at 6:30 in the morning if everyone was driving, not texting, checking e-mails, voice mails, etc......

Old 09-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

PS-When you are driving.......that is all you are supposed to be doing! Thats it...just driving!!! Not putting on make-up, not watching a video or screwing with the GD GPS, or texting or dialing the friggin phone or scratching scratch tickets or reading the newspaper or......and here is the best one I ever saw.....TURNING AROUND TO SPOON FEED THE BABY!!!! Oh yeah!!! Saw that one!!!! Amazing! But we need to make use of all the wasted minutes and hours in the car while we can so lets put peoples lives and safety down the list of really important things to consider......while driving!!!!

Anyone else with really creative rationalizations for why its "OK" to text while driving.....do me a favor and stick it in your ear.....that is if you can fit your hand where your head is!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #15
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Luds: Maybe you wouldn't be sitting in traffic backups at 6:30 in the morning if everyone was driving, not texting, checking e-mails, voice mails, etc......
My God a rational voice!! I think alot of folks drink while they drive just so they can make better use of the time wasted while driving!!!!

Old 09-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #16
Redsoxticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^& Durand View Post
Victor - Do I sense any irony given that your post was from a mobile phone?
I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me ??
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device while stopped
Redsoxticket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
Rob Rockcrawler

Can anyone else see the commonwealth taking some of our tax dollars and making designated areas along the highway for texting areas?

Everything is better on the rocks.
Rob Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #18
fishsmith
DDG-51

I heard on the radio that texting accidents have increased in the other states after they implemented a similar law to this. Reason being, folks are trying to hide that their texting, taking even more attention off the road.

I like the no-texting rule, but hate force fed common sense laws like seatbelts.

And I pity the cops who have try and enforce this.

Do phones like JohnR's droid has voice to text capabilities ... if not, it's a just a matter of time ....

The line from 'The Hangover' comes in handy here -- ... do me a favor, don't text me, it's gay .
fishsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #19
FISHING_FOOL

I think this is really good law but my question is how is it going to enforced? If I'm holding my phone and using the GPS or checking the weather how will the police know that is what I am doing and not texting?? They can't pull you over and ask for your phone so I'm at a loss for how they are going to deal with this.
FISHING_FOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #20
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
The traffic was there way before texting was even an option...

For the record I don't text and drive. Just trying to give the big guy a little bit of a hard time while he's on his soap box. I almost get pissed when my cell rings period. I love my wife but nothing drives me more nuts when she calls me a few times from the grocery store to ask me if I want this or that. She knows the answer but just calls me because she knows she can rather than trying to think of the answer. Can you say lazy! Technology makes things easier but also highly contributes to the stupidity of people these days. Texting is just another example.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #21
Fishoholic

I only text at stop lights because if I do it while I'm driving I might spill my beer and I won't have a free hand to change the radio station or program my gps
Fishoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #22
luds
Night Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishoholic View Post
I only text at stop lights because if I do it while I'm driving I might spill my beer and I won't have a free hand to change the radio station or program my gps
Stop lights are the best. When I'm going fishing straight from work I use them to change into my waders and look in the back seat for the plugs I want to swap into my bag for the trip. If you see an F-150 with a big hair %$$ in the window and a rod on top of it at say hi! Sorry, no s-b sticker. I'm too stealthy for that.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #23
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by luds View Post
I love my wife but nothing drives me more nuts when she calls me a few times from the grocery store to ask me if I want this or that. She knows the answer but just calls me because she knows she can rather than trying to think of the answer. Can you say lazy! .
Tell her, "more ice cream!"
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #24
BasicPatrick
M.S.B.A.

Location: I live in the Villiage of Hyannis in the Town of Barnstable in the Commonwealth of MA
Send a message via AIM to BasicPatrick Send a message via Yahoo to BasicPatrick
But if we passed all the laws Big Fish is suggesting what would he complain about?

(note to all: I pretty much agree w the big fellah and this post is just to poke fun at the bear with the emphasis on fun)

"It is impossible to complain and to achieve at the same time"--Basic Patrick (on a good day)

BasicPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #25
saltyric

"breakin the law, breakin the law"

Fish Rule!
saltyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #26
sokinwet

You can't legislate away stupidity....this coming from a guy who almost drove off the road while practicing goose calling...while steering with my knees.
sokinwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #27
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
The traffic was there way before texting was even an option...

For the record I don't text and drive. Just trying to give the big guy a little bit of a hard time while he's on his soap box. I almost get pissed when my cell rings period. I love my wife but nothing drives me more nuts when she calls me a few times from the grocery store to ask me if I want this or that. She knows the answer but just calls me because she knows she can rather than trying to think of the answer. Can you say lazy! Technology makes things easier but also highly contributes to the stupidity of people these days. Texting is just another example.
Thats what I like to hear Mike. I hate cell phones and often dream of just tossing it in the ditch. For the record.....I used no exclamation points in this post....just for you.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #28
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Quote:
Stop lights are the best. When I'm going fishing straight from work I use them to change into my waders and look in the back seat for the plugs I want to swap into my bag for the trip. If you see an F-150 with a big hair %$$ in the window and a rod on top of it at say hi! Sorry, no s-b sticker. I'm too stealthy for that.
Funny!!! Sorry...had to use em'!

Old 09-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #29
luds
Night Stalker

I do still think that the working and texting crowd is responding to the need to do it to keep up.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #30
Sea Dangles

I text with my kids,they always respond which is not the case with a call. They don't even have ringtones for a call.Next thing you know the typewriter will become obsolete and we won't have to get up to change the channel on the television.Maybe some folks,like my Dad,will soon join this fad they call texting.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote