Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 06-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Newbie Observations ...

I love Kayak fishing ,,, Way different fishing experience . After getting over the creepy factor of being out in deep water sitting on a 12' piece of plastic, I'm digging it . I trust my life jacket ,keeping shore in sight , I know I can make it . I've been doing high 40' max .

1. I like the vantage point of sitting right on the water , same level as the fish hitting on top .

2. I like sitting in fish/birds with the action going on around me rather than trying to reach it from shore .

3. I like fishing my 5'6" saint croix with 5600 abu black max and 20# fireline. ,, light tackle compared to what I'm use to ,. My shoulder is loving it to .

4. I like moving to the fish easily . When they were in close yesterday I spied a shore fisher scrambling back and forth on the rocks trying to get in them . Poor bastagde , that was me last year .

5. I enjoy the exercise (pedaling),, I feel this will add years to my fishing when I can no longer scramble on the rocks .

6. I'm use to dragging fish into the shallows. Now when I get a fish close in the yak she runs straight down . Never had to deal with that before .

7. Landing a fish is more interesting ,, No way am I pulling that head shaking ,treble thrashing fishing into my lap . Working over the side with the plastic lip gripper vice grips is a new skill .

8 and again ,, peeing in my mirage well whenever I feel like it .. Still working on a few things .. like ,, straddling legs over sides and sliding up front to get in that hatch , did that once . Stowing a fish in back area and strapping it down .. still a little nervous turning around or hanging legs over ... working on it . Whole new skill set needed.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 06-23-2011 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: Cleaned up the formatting

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Rockport24
President - S-B Chapter - Kelly Clarkson Fan Club

Kayak fishing is awesome and those are some good reasons for why! the landing fish thing is interesting and definitely is a whole new skill set.

I'll tell ya though, I hadn't landed a fish in the surf in a while, but it was still pretty damn fun to catch fish off the rocks in Cutty, so its good to have some variety in your methods every now and then.
Rockport24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport24 View Post
but it was still pretty damn fun to catch fish off the rocks in Cutty, so its good to have some variety in your methods every now and then.
Oh yea .. When the wind picks up or small craft advisory warnings I'll be fishing from shore. I'm not heading out in white caps like Chris .. Hey Chris !!!! when will you not go out ? It was pretty choppy that Friday we showed up at Cutty and I heard you were out there ,,. somewhere ??

(dob 4-21-07)
Old 06-23-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagger View Post
7. Landing a fish is more interesting ,, No way am I pulling that head shaking ,treble thrashing fishing into my lap . Working over the side with the plastic lip gripper vice grips is a new skill .
Eddie, we had a guy present at the club on Yaks and he said the easiest way to bring a fish in the yak is to stick your leg over the side, bring the fish up to your leg then swing leg and fish up and in.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
blondterror

Oh yea .. When the wind picks up or small craft advisory warnings I'll be fishing from shore. I'm not heading out in white caps like Chris .. Hey Chris !!!! when will you not go out ? It was pretty choppy that Friday we showed up at Cutty and I heard you were out there ,,. somewhere ??

I am comfortable in up to 20-25 knots as long as the waves are consistent and the wind does not have huge puffs... esp with the turbo fins... I am always watching the waves to make sure I do not get surprised by a broadside wave. I have a lot of experience in small sail, row, and paddle craft so I do not get psyched out when the wind is up... @ Cutty the std wind conditions in the summer are 15-25 knots - Buzz bay is a natural wind machine with the heating of the local land masses every day... we had smokey southwester conditions last friday and sat... very typical

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Eddie, we had a guy present at the club on Yaks and he said the easiest way to bring a fish in the yak is to stick your leg over the side, bring the fish up to your leg then swing leg and fish up and in.
I ass u me that's a hook less fish ,,, not a fish with 2 sets of trebles thrashing .. Also I want the fish on the back well of the yak .. The front is where my pedals are .. I'd have to see it .

(dob 4-21-07)