Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #61
eastendlu

Thanks Pbadad and everyone else.Talk to you later off to do some chores.Have a great days guys.

Originally Posted by Flaptail
"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
eastendlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #62
Lower

Good stuff guys. Sorry I missed it, I was on kid duty this morning. Seems like a thread that will keep going though. I'll take some pics this afternoon.
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #63
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Striper View Post
Anyone ever try one of these, I've had good luck with it, swam perfect on the first try!
Yes, I have, but without the original to copy mine sucked. The line tie on the larger version is not on center.

Hey Paul. The plug Lu showed is a copy of a standard Musso Pine Sr. It uses a Pikie 3 lip. The plug you, Art, and a few others (Eddy I think) have is a creation I call a skinny donny. It is more heavily weighted and uses a lefty 2 mid slot lip. Very unstable plug that guys who use spinning tackle have a hard time reeling slowly enough. Don't have any unfinished ones left...they're all freehand anyways so they vary some. I'll see if I wrote down what I put in it for weight.

Pb.....the xray is of the wooden smaller atom jr. I don't know much about the styrofoam version......Grapenuts is the guy to ask about anything atom. I copied the 54b name from you, so we both may be wrong. Daignault makes mention of a heavily weighted atom jr that he caught 2 fifty pound fish on.....perhaps that is what you have although I always assumed it was a wood version.

Sgt Striper......what old plugs are you interested in, I might be able to help.

Lu, thanks for fishing the plug. I noticed that since I started heat setting the createx and drying the epoxied plugs in a heated box (@100 degrees) they have been much more durable.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #64
eastendlu

Funny you mention that George as i just made this out of something i used to keep all my flammables in.Two walled steel and look at my heating source
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rmpics 010.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	37134   Click image for larger version

Name:	rmpics 011.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	37135   Click image for larger version

Name:	rmpics 012.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	37136  

"Throw plugs like we do that will cause them to suffer humility. Pogies make any fisherman look good when bass are around. Bait is easy."
Old 12-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #65
eastendlu

You can't see it but there is a turkey thermometer taped to the roof on the inside.When it pops lures are done.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:32 PM   #66
numbskull

Try two or three light bulbs on a rheostat, Lu. You'll melt less extension cords that way.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #67
numbskull

Gee, I didn't know they made cabinets for flammables. I just store them under my wife's home office.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #68
Bronko

Thumbs up

You guys are all unreal. Some real talent on this board. I wish I had 1/1000 of the woodturning/problem solving/skill that you guys have.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Bronko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #69
eastendlu

George gets up to 200degrees in about 5 minutes with the heat gun.I am working on getting a thermostat and another heat source though.I have not burned or even come close to heating up any extension cords and this was a quick setup to test out.My wheels are still spinning.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #70
the greek

Quote:
Anyone ever try one of these, I've had good luck with it, swam perfect on the first try!

Yes I built a few and this one was my first and best attempt. It swims nice and takes on a little darter like character in current. It is weighted mid point like a danny. I tried to make a better casting one with a tail weight and it was a turd. This is one of my favorite plugs to fish sometimes I just like watching it swim.

Name:	newstff 010.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	37137

Name:	newstff 011.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	37138
the greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #71
BILLC

You Guys Have Been Busy

Getting some house projects out of the way but I did get to start a few.

Name:	Dec 09 002.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	37139
BILLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #72
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Funny as Tagger asked me about these a week or 2 ago. looks like a neat plugs

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #73
eastendlu

Nice Mussos lipless swimmer Sgt. those are on my todo list.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #74
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendlu View Post
George gets up to 200degrees in about 5 minutes with the heat gun.I am working on getting a thermostat and another heat source though.I have not burned or even come close to heating up any extension cords and this was a quick setup to test out.My wheels are still spinning.
I too am using, since early last year, 2 heated plastic spinner boxes where I get it up over 100 with 2 small light bulbs. The Sys. 3 Clear Coat seems to like it that way a lot. I am only doing 6 plugs per box or 12 total every time I do it.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 12-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #75
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbadad View Post
Lu. This weighting works great. My buddys love the way it casts, fishes and catches. The weight is a 1/4" lead rod 3" long. Approx. 1oz. Pix of blank b/4 turned and a finished turning. A 1/4' dowel is glued in the drilled weight hole b/4 turned.
ok here is how I do it most times. This was showed to me by Mr. Manzi several years ago. Slip told me it was his idea that Dave copied form him so I don't know which was which and don't care. It works and makes it real easy and I know of a few comm. guys that do it his way now since I showed them where to get materials. Just want to let you know it's not my idea. I keep telling people I never had an original idea in my life but don't let me see it because I can plagiarize with the best of them.
Anyway back to the useful info.
I use hard plastic tubing. The OD is 1/4 inch and the ID holds a tail grommet very tight so the tail grommet won't slid around on you. You can use it in any combo you want. Wgt., plastic, wgt, plastic. 1 wgt then plastic. Pretty much any way you want so no dowels and gluing and re drilling. In the last pic you see some larger stuff. 3/8 OD for larger weighting . You then take the 1/4' stuff which happens to fit nice and perfect into the 3/8 stuff and then the tail grommet fits into the 1/4" stuff. You can see I have 100 foot rolls of the stuff, enough for 5 lifetimes of needles but the stuff is very cheap and that is how it is sold. It took some searching to get the right wall thickness but here is the place I got it. Just make sure you get the right wall thickness. If you need help just ask and if you want to try a little let me know and I can send you some as god knows i got plenty.

LDPE and HDPE Tubing. | U.S. Plastic Corp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1762.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	37140   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1764.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	37141   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1766.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	37142  

Old 12-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #76
eastendlu

Excellent post Paul so much to learn so little time.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:10 PM   #77
Grapenuts

you can also buy the same thing in hard nylon [spacers] in different inside an outside dia...at the hardware stores in all those little side boxes...been useing them for years in rod building when I need more or less space between the spring that holds the different size thread spools......if you don't need a big coil that is.
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #78
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Yes true but you probably have one of those old fashion hardware stores. None around me anymore with all the big stores. A big coil is only like 7 bucks and you can give some to your buddies.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #79
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
sorry guys....looks like i missed a great time! my router was cooked when i got up this am and i am posting this from my wifes tiny iphone and it sucks! hope to be back on tuesday and i will see you all next sunday morn at 8!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #80
Grapenuts

all your big reg.hardware stores like ace....servise starr....most lumber yards....carry the spacers....along with all the other little do -dad's nuts an bolts an things.
Grapenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #81
eastendlu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
sorry guys....looks like i missed a great time! my router was cooked when i got up this am and i am posting this from my wifes tiny iphone and it sucks! hope to be back on tuesday and i will see you all next sunday morn at 8!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
No worries Larry as i am catching up to you in my post count.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #82
pbadad

Paul, The tubing in rolls is a great idea. I've been using dowels and the plastic sleeves from a hardware store. In my version of the Wadd needle the 1/4' lead rod is not put in the middle w/the thru wire inside. It's offset approx. 3/16" on center below the wire hole. Becauseof the plug taper the insert hole becomes exposed and this requires a dowel filler. When done inside the blank b/4 turning it eliminates shaping the dowel after the fact.

Billy D.
pbadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #83
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

ah I see. Glad you explained that. 3/16 below center. neat idea. good thinking.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #84
Pete F.
Canceled

I use wooden plugs to fill the oversize thru hole, the tubing won't give you any bouyancy.
The whole thing is about the difference between the center of bouyancy and the center of gravity?, at least I remember the terms as that. Read a little bit about yatch design and you will find some good explanations. Weight in the ends makes the boat/plug respond slower, weight in the middle makes it quicker. It's not just how much weight it's where you put it. Don Musso is a master of this, look at a superstrikes weight placement.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:11 AM   #85
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

all very good points but TBO I am not looking for buoyancy if I am using that application and all that weight on such a thin dia. plug. I am looking more for the attitude of the plug as it is reeled in or sinks. If I am going for buoyancy than I am probably using a few small belly wgts.only. This is just my 2 cents . You made a valid observation. Jolly good show.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #86
pbadad

I'll take a picture of the end of plug.

Billy D.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #87
numbskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
The whole thing is about the difference between the center of bouyancy and the center of gravity?, Weight in the ends makes the boat/plug respond slower, weight in the middle makes it quicker. It's not just how much weight it's where you put it. Don Musso is a master of this, look at a superstrikes weight placement.

Hello.......everybody sleeping in this Sun?

This seems a good place to start. I've found that a little tail weight instead of a hook in the butt of a danny gets you a slower but wider action (I think because of momentum) that bass seem to like. Also helps the plug cast better, and balance better (since the lip and snap on the front end pull the face down).

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #88
Sgt Striper

That sounds good, I think I'll give that a try. My Danny's have little bit to much roll..need to address that too.
Thanks for the surfster measurements, got one done. I'll take a pic and post in a few minutes.

"The lips stand out because she wants to suck on your Pikie."....Mike Laptew
Van Staal Service/Repair Technician
Sgt Striper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #89
numbskull

Roll is a different issue and has more to do with the lip and line tie location than weighting.

But before you get too caught up in roll, my best catching danny/donny style plug is so unstable it will do a barrel roll with a twitch of the rod tip. Forget the eyes, keep your paint scheme subtle, and reel sloooowwwwww (conventional tackle helps).....you may be surprised.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 AM   #90
pbadad

Good Morning all. Have you guys had a chance to clean up the saw dust from the week? I filled a 30gal. garbage pail!! On weighting Dannys; I use a 1/2" diameter belly weight slug low to the belly. I feel the lower the weight the harder it is to pull the belly up. I have a few Bm style dannys I made. they swim extremely well. very little roll w/a nice slow side to side. Pinching up the lip sides a little helps somewhat.

Billy D.