Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-08-2022, 08:12 AM   #91
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
when Thurgood Marshall was confirmed in 1967 to become the first black man on the Supreme Court, 16 of 22 senators from the 11 states of the old Confederacy voted no or didn't vote

when Ketanji Brown Jackson was confirmed today to become the first black woman, 18 of 22 voted no
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
For the second time...is it possible to oppose the nomination of a black person, without being a racist?

Almost seems like you're afraid to answer that question, sort of, for some reason...
Old 04-08-2022, 08:41 AM   #92
detbuch

Quote:
Republicans are all about protecting kids, except for when it comes to poverty, healthcare, education, environment and vaccines.
Authoritarian Pete spreads propaganda.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:24 AM   #93
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

How did they vote for Thomas?
Old 04-08-2022, 10:03 AM   #94
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
How did they vote for Thomas?
That was DIFFERENT, it’s OK when democrats do it.

Only racist when republicans do it.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:26 PM   #95
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
That was DIFFERENT, it’s OK when democrats do it.

Only racist when republicans do it.
Once agin Jim making false equivalences

Thomas vote

Voting yes were 11 Democrats and 41 Republicans. Voting no were 46 Democrats and 2 Republicans.

Yep exactly the same
Old 04-08-2022, 12:51 PM   #96
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

So 46 democrats voted against the black guy, sounds pretty racist to me
Old 04-08-2022, 01:58 PM   #97
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
So 46 democrats voted against the black guy, sounds pretty racist to me
When did the Democratic South become Republican?

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-08-2022, 03:14 PM   #98
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Once agin Jim making false equivalences

Thomas vote

Voting yes were 11 Democrats and 41 Republicans. Voting no were 46 Democrats and 2 Republicans.

Yep exactly the same
So 47 democrats voted against the black nominee then, the exact same number as the 47 republicans who opposed Jackson this week. Sounds to me like the democrats were as racist then, than the GOP is now.

So unless the vote totals are identical. it's a "false equivalence". If one event took place on a Monday and the other on a Tuesday, you'll say "false equivalence". You find some meaningless detail that's different, then say they aren't comparable.

Lindsay Graham voted for both of Obama's nominees. Last time I checked, he voted to conform every single Biden federal judge nominee, until Jackson. So he's not a racist, not someone who refuses to ever support a democrat nominee. He voted for Sotomayor and Kagan. But maybe there was a reason why he drew the line with Jackson.

You keep shrieking racism and false equivalence.

Have you ever, and i mean ONCE, in all your posts, ever criticized a democrat or praised a republican? EVER?
Old 04-08-2022, 04:50 PM   #99
detbuch

Quote:
When did the Democratic South become Republican?
When it decided to become less racist.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:55 PM   #100
Pete F.
Canceled

That’s obviously why there’s so few Republicans of color
Old 04-08-2022, 10:21 PM   #101
detbuch

Quote:
That’s obviously why there’s so few Republicans of color
Is the South as racist now as it was from 1920 to 1970?
Old 04-09-2022, 08:39 AM   #102
wdmso

Quote:
So 47 democrats voted against the black nominee then, the exact same number as the 47 republicans who opposed Jackson this week. Sounds to me like the democrats were as racist then, than the GOP is now.

So unless the vote totals are identical. it's a "false equivalence". If one event took place on a Monday and the other on a Tuesday, you'll say "false equivalence". You find some meaningless detail that's different, then say they aren't comparable.

Lindsay Graham voted for both of Obama's nominees. Last time I checked, he voted to conform every single Biden federal judge nominee, until Jackson. So he's not a racist, not someone who refuses to ever support a democrat nominee. He voted for Sotomayor and Kagan. But maybe there was a reason why he drew the line with Jackson.

You keep shrieking racism and false equivalence.

Have you ever, and i mean ONCE, in all your posts, ever criticized a democrat or praised a republican? EVER?

You keep shrieking racism ? Really How so love to see it . that's what your brain hears when ever republicans are called out on their Comments.. you Have a great ability to not see insinuation in Conservatives.. But here OMG you See insinuation where non exist Like "Bidens said he will use chemical weapons "

The late Republican senator Arlen Specter (D-Pa.) in his 2000 autobiography “Passion for Truth”: Bush announced that Thomas was the “best qualified” nominee he could find for the high court and that “the fact he was black and a minority had nothing to do with this.” Immediately I said publicly that Thomas was not the best-qualified nominee available and that race was a factor — and properly so. I did not object to Thomas’s nomination because I thought he was entitled to a hearing and because on the record, with his degrees from Holy Cross and Yale Law School plus his tenure on the court of appeals, he appeared at least marginally qualified.

What we had hoped to learn was more about Clarence Thomas the jurist. The American Bar Assn. rated him “qualified” but withheld its highest rating, “well qualified.” On that score, Thomas’ sometimes lucid, sometimes stumbling testimony at the hearings did nothing to invalidate the ABA’s estimation of his legal prowess. Thomas did not distinguish himself as a legal mind.

Thomas did flatly reject Robert H. Bork’s belief that the Constitution must be interpreted only as its 18th-Century authors originally intended. “The world didn’t stop with the framers,” Thomas said. The meaning of the Constitution “is not frozen in time” but instead “moves with our history and our tradition.” yey now he's an Justice Thomas, originalist

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...988-story.html

After Hill’s testimony, Thomas told the committee that he would not answer any further questions, angrily calling the hearing “a high-tech lynching.”

Bar Association Splits on Fitness Of Thomas for the Supreme Court

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/08/28/u...eme-court.html

Have you ever, and i mean ONCE, in all your posts, ever criticized a democrat or praised a republican?

Still waiting on a reason PS if I Did praise a Republican you more like would call them a rino anyway
Old 04-09-2022, 09:10 AM   #103
Jim in CT

Quote:
You keep shrieking racism ? Really How so love to see it . that's what your brain hears when ever republicans are called out on their Comments.. you Have a great ability to not see insinuation in Conservatives.. But here OMG you See insinuation where non exist Like "Bidens said he will use chemical weapons "

The late Republican senator Arlen Specter (D-Pa.) in his 2000 autobiography “Passion for Truth”: Bush announced that Thomas was the “best qualified” nominee he could find for the high court and that “the fact he was black and a minority had nothing to do with this.” Immediately I said publicly that Thomas was not the best-qualified nominee available and that race was a factor — and properly so. I did not object to Thomas’s nomination because I thought he was entitled to a hearing and because on the record, with his degrees from Holy Cross and Yale Law School plus his tenure on the court of appeals, he appeared at least marginally qualified.

What we had hoped to learn was more about Clarence Thomas the jurist. The American Bar Assn. rated him “qualified” but withheld its highest rating, “well qualified.” On that score, Thomas’ sometimes lucid, sometimes stumbling testimony at the hearings did nothing to invalidate the ABA’s estimation of his legal prowess. Thomas did not distinguish himself as a legal mind.

Thomas did flatly reject Robert H. Bork’s belief that the Constitution must be interpreted only as its 18th-Century authors originally intended. “The world didn’t stop with the framers,” Thomas said. The meaning of the Constitution “is not frozen in time” but instead “moves with our history and our tradition.” yey now he's an Justice Thomas, originalist

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...988-story.html

After Hill’s testimony, Thomas told the committee that he would not answer any further questions, angrily calling the hearing “a high-tech lynching.”

Bar Association Splits on Fitness Of Thomas for the Supreme Court

https://www.nytimes.com/1991/08/28/u...eme-court.html

Have you ever, and i mean ONCE, in all your posts, ever criticized a democrat or praised a republican?

Still waiting on a reason PS if I Did praise a Republican you more like would call them a rino anyway
oh my god, you’re bothered that race was a factor in nominating Clarence Thomas. But not bothered with this nominee, when Biden said explicitly race was a factor.

No irony or hypocrisy there, no sir!

everything is ok when democrats do
it!!’

are you denying race was a factor here? when biden said two years ago, that he’d only consider a black person?

How can you keep a straight face.
Old 04-09-2022, 08:22 PM   #104
Pete F.
Canceled

Dietrich specifically mentioned Austin, who is Black, and claimed the measure was in fact a plot “to remove conservative, freedom-loving Americans from the roles.”

He added, “These so-called ‘leaders’ are so vile and racist, there’s no way to describe them other than in terms their own people understand. They are nothing more than dirty, stinking ni***rs.

“We are being forced into a corner by these enemies of the People. If it is a civil war they want, they will get it in spades. Perhaps the best way to pull us back from the brink is a good public lynching.”
Old 04-13-2022, 11:19 AM   #105
PaulS

Hunter is prob. kicking himself for not starting an investment fund so the Saudi's could have given him $2B to invest.

No experience, no problem.
Old 04-13-2022, 01:48 PM   #106
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
Hunter is prob. kicking himself for not starting an investment fund so the Saudi's could have given him $2B to invest.

No experience, no problem.
are you expecting trump supports to Have ethics ?

Jarred was an unelected or congressional approved appointment ! He was The POTUS son in law . but yet six months after leaving the White House his firm gets $2 billion investment from Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund, which is led by MBS

but but hunter Like Ive said republicans are dishonest to the bone
Old 04-13-2022, 02:00 PM   #107
Jim in CT

Quote:
are you expecting trump supports to Have ethics ?

Jarred was an unelected or congressional approved appointment ! He was The POTUS son in law . but yet six months after leaving the White House his firm gets $2 billion investment from Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund, which is led by MBS

but but hunter Like Ive said republicans are dishonest to the bone
Just curious how you'd know that what Jared did was unethical, but what Hunter did was OK?

Can you admit they should both be investigated?
Old 04-13-2022, 02:14 PM   #108
PaulS

Quote:
Can you admit they should both be investigated?
What grounds are there to investigate either?
Old 04-13-2022, 02:24 PM   #109
Jim in CT

Quote:
What grounds are there to investigate either?
Both look like influence peddling.

Before he was married to Ivanka, Kushner helped run a multi-billion dollar real estate company. If the Saudis gave him money to invest in real estate, that's not obviously fishy, though it could certainly be suspicious.

Hunter was a hot mess loser that all of a sudden was getting millions of dollars thrown his way, by an amazing coincidence, in Ukraine, where his dad was Obama's point man.

Come on...if there was nothing there, why did the media and big tech bury the story before the election. If the GOP takes the house, which is at least 99.8% likely, we will learn what Hunter did, they'll do a brutal investigation.
Old 04-13-2022, 02:40 PM   #110
PaulS

Quote:
Both look like influence peddling.agree but other than the perception there doesn't seem to be much there. No evidence

Before he was married to Ivanka, Kushner helped run a multi-billion dollar real estate company. If the Saudis gave him money to invest in real estate, that's not obviously fishy, though it could certainly be suspicious.

Hunter was a hot mess loser that all of a sudden was getting millions of dollars thrown his way, by an amazing coincidence, in Ukraine, where his dad was Obama's point man.

Come on...if there was nothing there, why did the media and big tech bury the story before the election. If the GOP takes the house, which is at least 99.8% likely, we will learn what Hunter did, they'll do a brutal investigation.
Jarod (who actually worked for the admin.) got double the amount to invest than the much more experienced Munchin and a higher fee = 1% fee vs 1.25% I believe. Jarod's RE company had some financial problems and has no experience in the private equity area. The due diligence review gave the fund an unsatisfactory rating and said they could only invest 1/2 the $ until they had a qualified investment team. The Saudi investment fund did not want to invest w/Jarod but was overruled by the Prince Mohammed.
Old 04-13-2022, 03:10 PM   #111
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jarod (who actually worked for the admin.) got double the amount to invest than the much more experienced Munchin and a higher fee = 1% fee vs 1.25% I believe. Jarod's RE company had some financial problems and has no experience in the private equity area. The due diligence review gave the fund an unsatisfactory rating and said they could only invest 1/2 the $ until they had a qualified investment team. The Saudi investment fund did not want to invest w/Jarod but was overruled by the Prince Mohammed.
Jared helped run a multi billion dollar real estate investment company before marrying into the family, before working for the administration. His father was convicted of fraud, is that what you're referring to? Were there problems when Jared took over?

Hunter was booted from the navy for snorting coke.

Jarod was born into a wealthy and crooked father, and married a girl with a wealthy and crooked father.

Who knows. But if the GOP takes the house, Hunters laptop will get looked into. They're not going to let that go.
Old 04-13-2022, 03:22 PM   #112
PaulS

Quote:
Jared helped run a multi billion dollar real estate investment company before marrying into the family, before working for the administration. His father was convicted of fraud, is that what you're referring to? Were there problems when Jared took over?No, his biggest investment was I think 666 fifth ave. or something like that and had to have a huge bailout.

Hunter was booted from the navy for snorting coke.

Jarod was born into a wealthy and crooked father, and married a girl with a wealthy and crooked father.

Who knows. But if the GOP takes the house, Hunters laptop will get looked into. They're not going to let that go.
Jarod's investment results are mixed. certainly no where near Munchins.
Old 04-13-2022, 03:29 PM   #113
Jim in CT

Quote:
Jarod's investment results are mixed. certainly no where near Munchins.
guy don’t have to do convince me that the investment use elated to his having served in the white house.

every recent president made hundreds of millions after leaving office.

it all stinks.
Old 04-13-2022, 04:46 PM   #114
spence

Quote:

every recent president made hundreds of millions after leaving office.
Wha?
Old 04-13-2022, 05:15 PM   #115
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Wha?
obama…north of 100m

https://amp.scmp.com/magazines/style...ly-worth-us135
Old 04-13-2022, 05:16 PM   #116
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Wha?
clinton… north of 100m

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3612129...net-worth/amp/
Old 04-14-2022, 08:25 PM   #117
Pete F.
Canceled

Apparently attaining wealth is good except when you’re a teacher or a president.