Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Old 05-16-2022, 11:45 AM   #1
wdmso

Unexpected Morning

Went out with the idea of finding some Pogies and possibly mark Some fish I heard some rumors..

Found the pogies Snagged a few and picked up 3 bass 32-35 inches

only down side to the day was the pogie boat found the same pogies and took most of them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1176.jpg (359.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1192.jpg (356.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_aa6.jpg (389.8 KB, 10 views)
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 01:46 PM   #2
Guppy
User

Nice
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:45 PM   #3
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

Good for you Wayne!!
That's the kind of unexpected morning you hope for!!

I had an expected morning this weekend too....
Gonna back it up a week though, ...I fired my boat up last weekend to make sure it was ready for when I was ready (yeah, been busy so I'm off to a late start already)....But hey, It went GREAT, it fired up on the 3rd crank, and never failed after doing some other testing.
This past weekend, (just to side with caution) I fired it up in the driveway just before heading to the ramp.....first crank, VROOOOOMmmm....Great!!

I get down to the ramp, unhitch....tie up to floating dock
Turn the key, VRrroooooom....like a top she spins
I gave it a minute or two before untying from the dock cleat...
drop the rope in the boat, shift into reverse and grab the steering wheel.........
Steering wheel is seized and won't turn, reach out over the side and barely get my palms on the dock before slipping out, dumb luck, but I catch it and tie down again....take the bolt off the cable rod but the rod slides freely through the tilting-harness, so it's not old gunky grease seizing it up?? Sneek a peak inside the CC at the back-end of the steering wheel, cable and locking bolt are showing signs of movement as I try to turn the wheel, but the motor shows nothing, not even a budge??? WTF!!!....

I thought I checked everything too.... never thought to turn the steering wheel though, ....

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:32 AM   #4
Guppy
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
Good for you Wayne!!
That's the kind of unexpected morning you hope for!!

I had an expected morning this weekend too....
Gonna back it up a week though, ...I fired my boat up last weekend to make sure it was ready for when I was ready (yeah, been busy so I'm off to a late start already)....But hey, It went GREAT, it fired up on the 3rd crank, and never failed after doing some other testing.
This past weekend, (just to side with caution) I fired it up in the driveway just before heading to the ramp.....first crank, VROOOOOMmmm....Great!!

I get down to the ramp, unhitch....tie up to floating dock
Turn the key, VRrroooooom....like a top she spins
I gave it a minute or two before untying from the dock cleat...
drop the rope in the boat, shift into reverse and grab the steering wheel.........
Steering wheel is seized and won't turn, reach out over the side and barely get my palms on the dock before slipping out, dumb luck, but I catch it and tie down again....
take the bolt off the cable rod but the rod slides freely through the tilting-harness,
so it's not old gunky grease seizing it up?? Sneek a peak inside the CC at the back-end of the steering wheel, cable and locking bolt are showing signs of movement as I try to turn the wheel, but the motor shows nothing, not even a budge??? WTF!!!....

I thought I checked everything too.... never thought to turn the steering wheel though, ....
Did the engine turn with the rod disconnected? Engine stiff to turn… ?
Old 05-17-2022, 05:45 AM   #5
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus

No, the motor turned freely.
I've never had a steering cable go bad....still can't figure out why? Last season went well, stored in garage all winter with no hiccups before or during?

......it finally happened, there are no more secret spots
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:43 PM   #6
Guppy
User

I was on my second NFB cable in 10 yrs and added hydraulic this spring…. Sooooooo smooth,,,
still looking aft to make sure she’s turning….. LOL