Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 10-21-2016, 07:39 AM   #31
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
Unfortunately the person I felt had the most promise didn't make it to the big show and what are my choices? On the one hand we have a women I don't trust and gives us business as usual, or a man I wouldn't trust alone with my sister, my girlfriend or my money. Two very bad choices IMHO and Election Day can't come soon enough for me.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
"Unfortunately the person I felt had the most promise didn't make it to the big show "

Same for me.

"what are my choices?"

You have the same two wretched choices that I have. I will plug my nose and vote for the one whose policies are more in line with my personal beliefs. We aren't going to be proud of either one.

"a man I wouldn't trust alone with my sister"

He's not seeking to court your sister, he wants to be POTUS. I wouldn't let Bill Clinton alone with my wife either, but he was a pretty decent president IMO.

It would be great to have someone you admire as well as agree with. The GOP nominated two extremely admirable men in the last 2 cycles, and the electorate said "no thanks". This isn't the first time we will be looking at a POTUS whose personal ethics were lacking. I'd rather have a jerk who might improve some things, than a swell guy who is incompetent.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:46 AM   #32
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Accusations is all most have have provided against Hilliary for months

yet you are 1 of the few that have made the case For as to why Trump would be a better Choice (one issue) which is your choice.. I choose not to take a narrow view of the next 4 years
yet I clearly understand the Potus is not the issue its congress if either win its congress who will make the difference.. if they choose to do anything

He is unfit just by this statement alone

Donald Trump Says He'll Accept The Results Of The Election ... If He Wins
"Accusations is all most have have provided against Hilliary for months "

Is it merely an accusation to call her a serial liar? How many lies would you like us to cite? Is it an accusation to say that she claimed that 25% of the country is "deplorable"? You specifically asked me for evidence that she is running on hate, I pointed out the deplorables remark, and you dodged. It gets tiresome...

"Donald Trump Says He'll Accept The Results Of The Election ... If He Wins"

Trump is getting a lot of heat for not stating that he'd accept a loss and go away. Have all of you forgotten what happened in 2000? Did Al Gore accept defeat graciously and walk away? Because unless I was hallucinating for a few weeks, I remember him fighting that all the way to the US Supreme Court. But Trump is supposed to promise that he won't do that, 3 weeks out?

With liberals, it's ALWAYS "do as I say, not as I do".

"yet some are willing to hire a foul mouth wrecking ball operator to FIX the Washington establishment... because he thinks The Potus can say your Fired !! "

Is that why his supporters are voting for him? Because he had a catch phrase on a TV show? Or is it because a huge majority of the population thinks the country is heading in the wrong direction?

To me, the most sacred human right is the very right to be born, which is the sine qua non of every other right. If you take that right away from someone, it's hard to then impress that person with offers of free college tuition or free health care.

To a great many people in this country (myself included) the philosophy of liberalism fosters a culture of helplessness and dependency, and robs the individual of initiative, dignity, and freedom. Look at any of our nation's beleaguered inner cities for all the evidence you will ever need of this. Many of us believe that the greatest freedom you can bestow on another person (after the freedom to be alive in the first place) is a good job in a time of economic prosperity.

I'm not expecting you to agree with that definition of human rights. But is it really so hard to even to understand how people can view the world differently than liberals do?

Like you I personally dislike Donald Trump. I think he is a rude, obnoxious boor. But I like him a lot more than I like Hillary Clinton, who for 30 years has proven herself to be a greedy pathological liar on the world stage who will say anything for money or power and a serial enabler of the abuse of women in her private life. How you can regard her as an icon of feminism I'll never know. What feminist would be married to Bill Clinton?
Old 10-21-2016, 08:19 AM   #33
scottw

it's remarkable how much the leftists conveniently forget as they get on their high horses sniffing the air above them

there is either an epidemic of amnesia or a complete lack of self awareness throughout the left...

Trump sucks...but he still has yet to sink below the very low bar set by the Clinton Crime Syndicate
Old 10-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #34
ecduzitgood
time to go

Better get your wallet out...
http://www.redstate.com/laborunionre...care-illegals/
Old 10-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #35
detbuch

Quote:
Accusations is all most have have provided against Hilliary for months

You're replying to my response to hq2 when he said:

"As far as Trump is concerned...in '62 my dad had the car packed to go to a fall out shelter during the Cuban missile crisis. 50% chance we had a nuclear war then. If it were Trump on the trigger, more like 90. Case closed."

When I replied that he had made an accusation but did not make a case, I was referring to his "case closed" comment. If you make an accusation, back it up with actual events not just merely hypothetical postulation.

"Accusations" (if you wish to categorize it that way) against Hillary were references to, and interpretations of, actual events. Cases were made on things that actually happened.

yet you are 1 of the few that have made the case For as to why Trump would be a better Choice (one issue) which is your choice.. I choose not to take a narrow view of the next 4 years

What you claim is my "one issue" is one more politically relevant issue than you have made the case for. But the Supreme Court issue is not the only issue that I have pleaded. I have asked over, and over, in different ways, what form of government do we want, and stated that this election has brought us to a critical point where will be deciding whether we wish to keep what's left of constitutionally limited government or go whole hog into unlimited government. The Supreme Court issue is a part of that, a critical part, but the contest is between Progressivism (unlimited government which grants rights and defines the character of a nation from top down authority) and constitutionalism (defined government limited against trespassing against the unalienable rights of people to define the character of a nation from bottom up authority of the people).

And that is not a "narrow view." That view is about as expansive as a view can get. So far, your view seems to be that Donald Trump is puke, and Hillary is less puke, if at all. That's the only issue that you have made a case for.

yet I clearly understand the Potus is not the issue its congress if either win its congress who will make the difference.. if they choose to do anything

He is unfit just by this statement alone

Donald Trump Says He'll Accept The Results Of The Election ... If He Wins
You've made an accusation. You have not made a case.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:12 AM   #36
buckman

The easy answer by Trump would have been , "Yes, I'll abide by the results " . I like how he will double down and stick to his beliefs .
The hypocracy of the media, the Democrats and many in the GOP on this amazes me .
All those that ran against Donald in the primary signed a pledge to support the winner . How did that work out .
Believe me , his stand on this is getting him votes, not losing them.
Besides , everyone with a shred of a brain knows the system has been corrupted.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #37
detbuch

Quote:
I am voting for Hillary because she is the best qualified choice of the 2 in a huge spectrum over Trump

If you care to delineate that huge spectrum, we could debate on it. Otherwise, we conveniently just have to take your word for it. And "qualified" has become a buzzword used to credit or discredit on the basis of personal opinion or group agenda. You might also want to delineate the meaning of "qualified."

you dont hire a plumber to wire your your house

yet some are willing to hire a foul mouth wrecking ball operator to FIX the Washington establishment... because he thinks The Potus can say your Fired !!
There you go with your metaphors again. The first is uninspiring and doesn't "qualify" as a true comparison to electing a President. The second is more passionate and picturesque. But having confidence in the veracity of such a metaphor (or composite of derogatory memes) depends on the confidence one can place on its author's ability to see things clearly and deeply.

My confidence in you being able to create metaphors that truly strike at the heart of an issue has been shaken by so many of your posts. Such as, recalling some off hand, your totally misunderstanding Milo Yannopoulos because you stopped very short of listening to his whole conversation . . . your insistence that a constitutionally guaranteed right against abridgment (the Second Amendment) should have far more restrictions than a constitutionally implied right that is not guaranteed against some restriction (voting) almost that it not be restricted at all . . . your total misunderstanding of Orwell's essay on Nationalism and Patriotism to the point that you didn't see that Nationalism as Orwell described it actually was an indictment of Hillary's Progressivism more than of Trump whom you thought it solely described . . . the total contradiction you unwittingly displayed in one post where you wanted us to listen to the women who were accusing Trump, but in the very same post, the women who were accusing Clinton were to be dismissed (not listened to?) . . . calling O'keefe a "fraud" because of his conviction for the misdemeanor of breaking into Landrieu's office (to which he admitted) when no fraud was committed, if anything it was an attempt to gather truth . . . blaming Trump's rhetoric for the violence and disorder at his rallies, but railing against exposing the plot by Clinton operatives to disrupt those rallies--you support the meme that Trump rhetoric instigates violence but dismiss the truth that much was caused by Clintonites . . . your inability to understand that "interpreting" the Constitution on personal desires for outcomes rather than adhering to constitutional text (the law) is actually rewriting, destroying, the Constitution, not supporting or defending it as is the oath of a Judge to so do, which also casts some subliminal, unconscious, or at best ignorant "fraud" on your own taking of the oath . . . your dismissing the evidence provided by WikiLeaks because of the way it was achieved--killing the messenger syndrome--might work in civil court on statutory grounds, but unconscionable in deciding "qualification" . . . and yet being all shocked by Trumps old disgusting, vulgar words to one person, but not by those who actually exposed and plastered those words in public sight so that all of us could be disgusted, including our sons and daughters to hear words that we would rather they didn't--the messenger is exonerated in that case) . . . your total inability to see comparison's between Hillary's enabling of Bill Cinton's sexual behaviors (which reputedly were more egregious and forced than Trump's) and Trump's behaviors, and the hypocrisy of Hillary being the champion of women's "rights" vs Trump's supposed misogyny . . . and a puzzling, if not stupefying, one, your claim that Trump's comment about voting even if terminally ill was "odd." And nothing more than that--just odd. And, as in the Yannopoulos and Orwell cases, you didn't read or know about the rest--Trump's comment that he was just kidding. And when that was pointed out, you continued to try to paint Trump's comment as some kind of undefinable oddity. You didn't even respond to my example of how it could be compassionate rather than odd. Afterwards, it brought to mind an incident I had some time ago.

While waiting in the checkout line of a grocery store, the woman in front of me and I struck up a conversation. She was there with her husband, who remained a bit glumly silent throughout it. I don't remember how it started. But as it turned out, she was terminally ill with cancer. She was still fairly young, maybe in her thirties and a lot of life that she could have looked forward to if she didn't have the cancer. It was very evident that she was afraid and separated from the life around her because of her illness.

I don't remember how it came to me to say to her that I was also terminal. Her eyes lit up, and for that brief time she shined out of her own emotionally outcast sorrow to, in an upbeat if not hopeful tone, ask me if I had cancer too. I said no, but that we are all terminal, eventually. She laughed and said I had made her day. Her husband was quiet, distant from our conversation, and they left, she with a smiling glance at me as they departed with a full basket of groceries.

I'll never forget that brief encounter. And I'll always remember how her connection with someone, and thereby with everyone, at least momentarily, not only gave her comfort, but enough meaning for the rest of the day, so that she could shop for groceries or do any of the other normal stuff to fill her brief remaining existence.

What is so odd about including a terminally ill person in the normal things that existence is made of? Should we put them aside, disconnected with life, insist that they should not trouble themselves with involvement in our daily living? For certain, we should love them and show them that love, perhaps even more than we would if they were not ill. But wouldn't it also be a comfort to them if they were encouraged to join the rest of us in doing what we normally do. Wouldn't it be a comfort to be a part of humanity rather than a pampered outcast, ultimately alone in knowing they will soon be dead?

Yeah, I have reason not to trust your metaphors.

Last edited by detbuch; 10-21-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Old 10-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #38
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

If Trump gets in, might be more than stains on a blue dress. He might not be the "white Bill Cosby" of corporate America (very long line ahead of him I'm sure), but clearly he has alienated a large majority of the women voters. Both fit the statement, power corrupts absolutely.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:51 PM   #39
detbuch

Quote:
If Trump gets in, might be more than stains on a blue dress. He might not be the "white Bill Cosby" of corporate America (very long line ahead of him I'm sure), but clearly he has alienated a large majority of the women voters. Both fit the statement, power corrupts absolutely.
Yeah, but if he gets in, and has to step down, Pence would be President. In my view, a better outcome than if power hungry therefor absolutely corrupted person gets in.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #40
Jim in CT

Quote:
but clearly he (Trump) has alienated a large majority of the women voters. Both fit the statement, power corrupts absolutely.
Why hasn't Bill Clinton alienated at least as many women voters? By what logic does a liberal still support Bill Clinton (he remains enormously popular with liberals) and bash Trump for his treatment of women?

Hilary, for decades, has enabled her husband's predation, denied that it existed, and attacked the character of his victims, referring top them as "looney tunes", "bimbo", and "trailer trash".

I don't see how the party that worships at the feet of the Kennedys and the Clintons, has the chutzpah to claim the moral high ground on feminism. What kind of feminist, exactly, marries Bill Clinton?

Unless someone can explain to me why Bill deserves a pass while Trump is labeled sexist, I will chalk it up to one (of many) example of liberal hypocrisy, made possible by their partners in the media.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:03 PM   #41
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Why hasn't Bill Clinton alienated at least as many women voters?
because they don't care what the Clinton's did to women...you remember all of the nonsense....constantly move the goal post...that's what the left does....if Hillary was accused of some sexual assault or issue and Trump was accused of some email security/scandal....the media would be freaking about Trump's disqualification on the basis whatever the evidence was and they'd be telling us Hillary's sexual issues are irrelevant and they'd assist in attacking any accusers...it's the essence of leftism...

Last edited by scottw; 10-21-2016 at 02:30 PM..
Old 10-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #42
ecduzitgood
time to go

Shouldn't a presidential candidate at least wear a US flag pin to show their support for our country. This video is entertaining in some of the points it makes.

https://youtu.be/ewRk6QBWpLU
Old 10-23-2016, 10:49 AM   #43
scottw

Quote:

yet some are willing to hire a foul mouth wrecking ball operator to FIX the Washington establishment... because he thinks The Potus can say your Fired !!

Andrew Jackson

Observers likened him to a volcano, and only the most intrepid or recklessly curious cared to see it erupt.... His close associates all had stories of his blood-curling oaths, his summoning of the Almighty to loose His wrath upon some miscreant, typically followed by his own vow to hang the villain or blow him to perdition. Given his record – in duels, brawls, mutiny trials, and summary hearings – listeners had to take his vows seriously.

On the last day of the presidency, Jackson admitted that he had but two regrets, that he "had been unable to shoot Henry Clay or to hang John C. Calhoun."

Jackson decided to run for president in 1824. Although he got a plurality in both electoral and popular vote against three major candidates, Jackson failed to get a majority and lost in the House of Representatives to John Quincy Adams. Jackson claimed that he lost by a "corrupt bargain" between Adams and Speaker of the House Henry Clay, who was also a candidate, to give Clay the office of Secretary of State in exchange for Adams winning the presidency.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #44
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
it's the essence of leftism...
Yep Hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty...
Old 10-23-2016, 01:08 PM   #45
ecduzitgood
time to go

The wrecking ball label is more appropriately applied to Hillary who will appoint supreme court justices that will destroy the freedom the Constitution currently gives the citizens. This election goes far beyond the next 4 to 8 years in regards to the potential effect on our freedoms. Trump, while not being the most eloquent of speakers does at least have the intention to try and make changes that many people or more specifically citizens find attractive. He wants term limits for legislators, actual enforcement of our immigration laws, slowing the flow of Syrian refugees (many of whom strongly oppose our way of life and liberty, we are after all infidels in their system of belief).
Here is a link to see some of his intentions.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/issues
Old 11-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #46
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

As I said this is the race from hell and for the first time I voted early today, but didn't cast my vote for president; which is a sad commentary on this election.

Thought I'd share an interesting Trump story, which was relayed to me by a Hilton exec I happened to join today at Pine Hills for a round of golf today, with a couple of his other retired buddies. He was sitting in at a corporate meeting Trump and his daughter had in Europe involving golf with Hilton execs part of the development. In this meeting Dad didn't like what Ivanka was saying and he turned to her and told her to shut your mouth C**t. Can't imagine saying that to my daughter, my mother, my girlfriend, a friends bitch of a wife or even my X-wife. That is the absolute worst four letter insult as a man you can say to any woman.

I've never been so concerned about where this country is going after a presidential election than I am at this point.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:26 PM   #47
buckman

Quote:
As I said this is the race from hell and for the first time I voted early today, but didn't cast my vote for president; which is a sad commentary on this election.

Thought I'd share an interesting Trump story, which was relayed to me by a Hilton exec I happened to join today at Pine Hills for a round of golf today, with a couple of his other retired buddies. He was sitting in at a corporate meeting Trump and his daughter had in Europe involving golf with Hilton execs part of the development. In this meeting Dad didn't like what Ivanka was saying and he turned to her and told her to shut your mouth C**t. Can't imagine saying that to my daughter, my mother, my girlfriend, a friends bitch of a wife or even my X-wife. That is the absolute worst four letter insult as a man you can say to any woman.

I've never been so concerned about where this country is going after a presidential election than I am at this point.
Hilton being a competitor of Trump might have something to do with this . I find this story appalling and probably not true
Old 11-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #48
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Doubt it, I'm a pretty good judge of character and this story was a real accounting. But remember if she weren't his daughter, he'd do her, so not much of a stretch for him.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #49
PaulS

Quote:
Can't imagine saying that to my daughter, my mother, my girlfriend, a friends bitch of a wife or even my X-wife. That is the absolute worst four letter insult as a man you can say to any woman.
You should come around more often. IT has been used here. Members here also use it on FB.

I'm sure they are good parents though.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:59 AM   #50
scottw

Spence and Huma disappeared right around the same time....
Old 11-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #51
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
You should come around more often. IT has been used here. Members here also use it on FB.

I never realized that having a potty mouth disqualified a person from being a good parent.

#^&#^&#^&#^&....my kids are screwed then.

I know LeBron says nobody uses that kind of language....

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #52
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
I never realized that having a potty mouth disqualified a person from being a good parent.

only if you are a republican
Old 11-03-2016, 07:16 AM   #53
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post

#^&#^&#^&#^&....my kids are screwed then.

I know LeBron says nobody uses that kind of language....
I thought you said you recognized sarcasm?
Old 11-03-2016, 07:56 AM   #54
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
I thought you said you recognized sarcasm?
I do, which is why I replied with the same

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #55
buckman

Quote:

I've heard reliable reports of Hillary using the male equivalent many times but that's ok
Old 11-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #56
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I've heard reliable reports of Hillary using the male equivalent many times but that's ok
depends on what the meaning of the word "using" is......
Old 11-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #57
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post

My next door neighbor is good friends with a auto repair shop in NY, where the Clintons have their compound. They get secret service vehicles in all the time.
He's told me plenty of stories of Hillary and how she talks to and treats secret service.
They can't stand her !!!
She talks far worse than any guy !!!
Old 11-03-2016, 01:39 PM   #58
Jim in CT

Quote:

Directed at me presumably.

I concede it is the ugliest word you can direct at a woman. Which is exactly why I use it very rarely, but use it gleefully, to describe Hillary. I wasn't aware that using vile vocabulary to describe a vile person, means I'm not a good dad. But you have a right to that opinion, wrong-headed as it may be.

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-03-2016 at 01:45 PM..
Old 11-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #59
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Spence and Huma disappeared right around the same time....
I think Spence launched a one-man jihad against Julian Assange.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #60
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:

Wow I guess you and I have two very different views of what respectful treatment of you children entails; calling my daughter a c**t in a meeting to shut her the f up isn't one of them.

I also have to say, what a hoot it was seeing Melania's speach, basically describing her husband to a "T" as to what is wrong with the way people treat each other in this country, just so ironic.

Again, sad I can't vote for either on of this nuts, one I can't trust to bankcrupt us and the other I can't trust to bring us to the brink of a major war.