Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Grumpy Old Pharts Board

Grumpy Old Pharts Board Gerritol, Ex-Lax, Immodium, Bad Breath - all requirements for the Grumpy Board

Old 10-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
alocke

PRICES AND AVAILABILITY OF WOOD PELLETS

We were thinking of purchasing a wood pellet stove.The cost was about $4000.installed.We read an article in yesterdays paper about wood pellet shortages. My wife called about 30 dealers to be sure we could get some.Most dealers are selling them 5 to 10 bags at a time, however most dealers are out.We found one dealer who can supply 3 ton at $5.85 per bag.
Last year they went for $1.69 per bag.You pick up and deliver your own. It looks to me like they killed the pellet stove business.I really feel let down.
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS, AND HOW DO YOU FEEL.
alocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:29 PM   #2
TheRattBoy
surfcasting is NOT a crime

Thumbs down

Just talking about this today at work. My buddy bought a stove last year and , yup, price has skyrocketed and can't find any pellets. I was planning on putting a stove in the livingroom in the future , but who knows now. They pork you EVERY chance they get. johnny

Btw , also saw on the news tonight, natural gas is gonna be sky high this winter too.
TheRattBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
mikecc
Plug Builder in Training

most pellet stoves can burn corn also

mikecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
alocke

Talking MOST PELLET STOVES BURN CORN

Mike cc
We see that the stove we're looking at burns corn[ a whitfield] where do you buy the corn,and what part of the corn do you burn. Also do you know the comparative prices? as you can see we are not very experinced in this area.
Kindest thanks to all
Al
Old 10-12-2005, 07:12 AM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I've had a Pellet stove for 7 years now and love the thing. Throws a ton of heat. Last year the Pellets were running about 3.75 a bag or $155 a ton.

$4000 seems a little steep to have one installed. You can get the stove for about $2000 and then all you need is the mat which runs $250-300 and a dryer vent that runs out of the side of the house......no need for a chimney.

Granted I haven't picked up pellets yet for this year but hopefully they didn't go up too much. I know the gas prices affect everything but hopefully not to that extent.

I've never seen pellets for 1.69 a bag either thats super cheap. Also check Home Depot they carry pellets and they probably are the reason for the shortage...

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 08:55 AM   #6
zacs
D'oh

the corn is just kernels of corn. around here you can buy it at agway.

i bent my wookie
zacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
seabass
umm,the juicy sweets!!!!!

I've had a pellet stove for 5 years now, I just purchased 3 tons of pellets for 205 a ton, last year 185 a ton, three tons heats house for 150 days, pretty cheap. I buy from All Basic Stoves in Merrimack, NH. quadra fire stoves very nice check out web site at www.allbasic.com

Make it idiot proof, and someone will make a better idiot.
seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #8
PJT

I usually buy it by the ton at a local Agway in Lancaster. They are pretty much out for the next few months. I did stumble across pellets at Wal-Mart. Yes, the evil Wally world had them at 3.79 a bag. They had a few pallets that were spoken for already but I was able to snag 20 bags from what they had in stock. I know they have the pellets at Northboro, West Boylston and Framingham. Get them while you can. I believe the guy said that they were getting a shipment in yesterday so get going.
PJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:45 PM   #9
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Never seen pellets that cheap 1.69. Usually about 4 bucks a bag. Sure glad I got 40 bags left over from last year have not even thought about buying this year guess I will have to get motivated. Install the thing yourself 4 grand is awful high. It is simple and have it inspected by the building inspector so not to void your homeowners ins. It's worth a try. Good luck. Paul

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 10:21 PM   #10
alocke

THANKS everybody

Thanks to all who responded.
You'll never know how helpful you are.And your right we never bought pellets for $1.69 per bag, they were $169.00 per ton last year if you bought them in the summer on contract. What did teacher say about decimal points?
Also the stove is a fully automatic model at 40,000 btu's.Whitfield 30 fs.with 3 tons of pellets with installation its complete.
Kindest regards
Al
Old 10-16-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
Raven

Thumbs up finally found it

the perfect fire starter substitute
if you don't have (dry) kindling

after some experimentation.......

my solution is: filling a carboard egg carton
with pellets and starting it off with a little
newspaper to get the carton lit on fire
and it hasn't failed ...yet... it's perfect!
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:46 AM   #12
teaser
Wave Jumper

Pellets at Home Cheapo as of yesterday ... $5.89 for a 40 lb. bag, Dartmouth Home Cheapo that is.

Don't look like the price is going to come down any in the future either as I was told that they can't even keep enough in the store at those prices.

Insanity is a long and winding road ... I think I finally made it there.
teaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:59 PM   #13
Diamond Tackle

unreal,
so has anyone done a cost analysis between Oil, gas and pellets, I saw a chart once. I'm guessing pellets are more expensive than oil at this point, unless the time and effort in locating, gathering, loading , unloading, and then feeding the hopper pays less than min wage. Do they at least deliver if you buy a ton at a time?

Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:54 PM   #14
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Yes they deliver. I just bought a metric ton yesterday. 2400lbs. 60 bags about 5.50 a bag. Paid 330.00. That is as cheap as anywhere I have found and it is a good quality pellet. There are some crap pellets out there, lots of fillers. The guy is right down the street from me. He is going to try and make a go of it selling only pellets. 8400 BTU's per pound. Wood is anywere from 200 to 350 a cord. Not sure how it stacks up against other forms of fuel but I figure since I got my stove for nothing I am ahead of the game. I got the guys number if you need it, unfortunately Tinman the delivery charge would kill yeah. P.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 10-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #15
Diamond Tackle

Thanks for looking out for me there Prof, I think I still ove you a .

My frustration is only because I REALLY wanted one of these stoves for my bedroom, for "ambiance" . YEs even the tinman likes a little ambiance now and then. Esp since no Chimney installation is needed, only a vent stack, but now I cant justify it. My bud in PA says that he paid $2-$2.50 a bag for pellets, but that BEFORE the season like around labor day? I have to call him.
But it looks likes it may have to be a fireplace insert for me in the Den.

Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:51 PM   #16
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

There are a few pellet manufacture's in Penn. so maybe he is close to one. That price is very cheap. The pellets I got are coming from BC Canada via hopper train and being bagged here that is how scare pellet's are because of the limited companys doing it. They have sold too many stoves. If it were me I wouldn't buy a pellet stove now either. Too damn expensive and limited fuel for them. Go with the insert. Turns the fireplace into a very efficient heat producer. Good luck. P.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #17
Bigcat

Wally-World $4.94 for 40# bag.

Fly & Light Tackle Fishing
Bigcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #18
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

What brand I am curious. They rate them by the amount of BTU's they put out per pound and the amount of ash they produce. I have got them at HD a few years back for cheaper than I was paying and I found out why they burned up quick and there was a lot of crap wood in them. P.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:43 PM   #19
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

These might be of interest
http://www.pelletsales.com/request-pellets/

http://www.pelletheat.org/3/residential/compareFuel.cfm

Old 10-25-2006, 03:55 PM   #20
CapeDawg

Aubuchon Hardware in Harwich has pellets, they are getting $279 a ton for them. The guy I talked to said they have had no trouble getting them, and he also said they would be in full supply all season.

Not sure if all the Aubuchon stores will carry them, I just talked to the Harwich store. Here's their number if interested (508)432-8200

You must always push the limits, because if you never fail you will never succeed
CapeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #21
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Also Kirley Masonry in Mansfield has lots too and expects to all season. Around the same price as above.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:54 AM   #22
Raven

Exclamation just recently saw

this place on route 20 in
shrewsburry (i believe)
with tons of the stuff ,all over the place
HUGE!

doesnt look like a shortage to me....
i've been going thru it....using it
in cereal boxes ...egg containers
to fire up logs.....works great
i need more...
Old 10-26-2006, 11:56 AM   #23
Raven

Question are there different size pellets

or are they all about the same size.....
Old 10-31-2006, 02:44 PM   #24
PJT

Wally world pellets are crap. I got 20 bags from N. Chelmsford store near rt 4. They stored it outside so most of them turned into sawdust. My stove got clogged and had to take it apart to clear out the jam.

Also, they wouldn't sell ammunition. They had ammo in the cases but they said they couldn't sell that last weekend. Weird....
PJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:27 PM   #25
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
or are they all about the same size.....
I would think they are uniformly sized so to fit in any manufacturer's stove from what I have seen. P.