Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #151
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
I suppose you're happier with this

GOP: Teachin' slavery was real is racist.

GOP: Blacks demandin' equality is racist.

GOP: There's no racism in America, except by minorities.

GOP: Bannin' books is good.

GOP: Nazi salutes are "free speech".

GOP: Violence to win elections is "patriotic.
show me a republican with influence, who is opposed to teaching about slavery. you literally just make stuff up out of thin air. i’d imagine that’s tiring.

here’s something that actually happened, something that actually took place. democrats claimed that people making the nazi salute, are domestic terrorists. that was in the school board letter .

you don’t think making the nazi salute is free speech? seriously? it should be a crime?

Your world is getting darker and darker Pete.

Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #152
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
here’s something that actually happened, something that actually took place. democrats claimed that people making the nazi salute, are domestic terrorists. that was in the school board letter .
This never happened Jim.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:48 AM   #153
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

Quote:
show me a republican with influence, who is opposed to teaching about slavery. you literally just make stuff up out of thin air. i’d imagine that’s tiring.

you don’t think making the nazi salute is free speech? seriously? it should be a crime?

Your world is getting darker and darker Pete.

Once again you pick a couple of items out of a list, just like Rafael with his performance at the hearing.

Would you be upset if a teacher said this?

“Think about this. For 246 years, slavery was legal in America. It wasn’t made illegal until 154 years ago,” the 26-year-old teacher told the 23 students sitting before him at Fort Dodge Middle School. “So, what does that mean? It means slavery has been a part of America much longer than it hasn’t been a part of America.”

It is a simple observation, but it is also a revelatory way to think about slavery in America and its inextricable role in the country’s founding, evolution and present. Ours is a nation born as much in chains as in freedom. A century and a half after slavery was made illegal — and 400 years after the first documented arrival of enslaved people from Africa in Virginia — the trauma of this inherited disease lingers.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #154
scottw

Quote:

who in the GOP has ever said any of these things?
Old 11-04-2021, 11:03 AM   #155
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Google is available for you to use

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-04-2021, 11:04 AM   #156
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
i’d agree that nazi salutes are free speech. the rest of that is looney tunes.

this is how liberals try to convince themselves that republicans actually think. if we actually believed any of that lunacy, it would be so
easy to dismiss and defeat us, and even if they lose occasionally, it’s virtuous to tell yourself you at least stood up to evil.

none of them has ever listened to a rational, decent conservative person. they’re too afraid to. because then they can no longer rely on the evil caricature of conservatives that they’ve created

his post there is very, very revealing. We’re all Darth Vader. .
Old 11-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #157
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:

this is how liberals try to convince themselves that republicans actually think. if we actually believed any of that lunacy, it would be so
easy to dismiss and defeat us, and even if they lose occasionally, it’s virtuous to tell yourself you at least stood up to evil.

none of them has ever listened to a rational, decent conservative person. they’re too afraid to. because then they can no longer rely on the evil caricature of conservatives that they’ve created

his post there is very, very revealing. We’re all Darth Vader. .
You actually never listen to yourself if you think you fit as a rational, decent, conservative person.

Tell me how Liz Cheney is a RINO?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #158
scottw

Quote:

you'd better be careful reaching for something around pete...he might demand you be convicted of a war crime
Old 11-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #159
scottw

Quote:

You actually never listen to yourself....
hysterical coming from you
Old 11-04-2021, 11:46 AM   #160
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
This never happened Jim.
Are you saying that when the school board wrote the letter, and listed examples of things that might be domestic terrorism, that the nazi salute wasn't on the list? Is that what you're saying?

To the question on CRT not being in schools...Spence, can I teach Marxism, without ever mentioning Karl Marx? If I advocate for his ideals, isn't that advocating for Marxism?

CRT isn't a copyrighted name brand.

From Brittanica...

"critical race theory (CRT), intellectual and social movement and loosely organized framework of legal analysis based on the premise that race is not a natural, biologically grounded feature of physically distinct subgroups of human beings but a socially constructed (culturally invented) category that is used to oppress and exploit people of colour. Critical race theorists hold that racism is inherent in the law and legal institutions of the United States insofar as they function to create and maintain social, economic, and political inequalities between whites and nonwhites, especially African Americans. "

Anyone who teaches this theory, advocates for this theory, is teaching critical race theory. It doesn't matter what label you put on it. If I buy a bottle of coke and change the label, it's still coke inside the bottle.

This is such a stupid and intellectually lazy argument. And it won't help the left next November either.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/critical-race-theory
Old 11-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #161
Jim in CT

Pete, do you know who said on TV, that the nazi salute was protected free speech? Merrick Garland said that. He said that, when asked by Senator Ted Cruz.

Remind me, which party does he belong to?
Old 11-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #162
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Pete, do you know who said on TV, that the nazi salute was protected free speech? Merrick Garland said that. He said that, when asked by Senator Ted Cruz.

Remind me, which party does he belong to?
Apparently he looks like a political operative to you

Perhaps you can explain just what makes Liz Cheney a RINO?

2021-Present: U.S. attorney general
1997-2021: Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
2013-2020: Chief judge
1994-1997: Principal Associate Deputy U.S. Attorney General
1993-1994: Deputy Assistant U.S. Attorney, Criminal Prosecutions Division of the United States Department of Justice
1992-1993: Attorney, private practice
1989-1992: Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia
1981-1989: Attorney, private practice
1979-1981: Special Assistant United States Attorney General, United States Department of Justice
1978-1979: Law clerk for Associate Justice of the United States William J. Brennan, Jr.
1977-1978: Law clerk for Judge Henry Friendly in the United States Second Circuit Court of Appeals

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-04-2021, 12:05 PM   #163
Jim in CT

Quote:
Apparently he looks like a political operative to you

Perhaps you can explain just what makes Liz Cheney a RINO?

2021-Present: U.S. attorney general
1997-2021: Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
2013-2020: Chief judge
1994-1997: Principal Associate Deputy U.S. Attorney General
1993-1994: Deputy Assistant U.S. Attorney, Criminal Prosecutions Division of the United States Department of Justice
1992-1993: Attorney, private practice
1989-1992: Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia
1981-1989: Attorney, private practice
1979-1981: Special Assistant United States Attorney General, United States Department of Justice
1978-1979: Law clerk for Associate Justice of the United States William J. Brennan, Jr.
1977-1978: Law clerk for Judge Henry Friendly in the United States Second Circuit Court of Appeals
"Apparently he looks like a political operative to you"

Where did you say political operatives? You criticized republicans for saying the nazi salute is free speech. Garland agrees. And you STILL can't admit I made a point.

Why on earth, would you point out that Liz Cheney was in private practice from 1981-1989, as evidence she's not a RINO? How could that POSSIBLY mean she's not a RINO?

There was a civil war within the GOP. It's over. Liz Cheney's side lost. And I don't intensely dislike Liz Cheney or anything, but she's no longer the preferred brand of Republican.

The civil war among democrats is just beginning, and lord almighty is it entertaining.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #164
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
"Apparently he looks like a political operative to you"

Where did you say political operatives? You criticized republicans for saying the nazi salute is free speech. Garland agrees. And you STILL can't admit I made a point.

Why on earth, would you point out that Liz Cheney was in private practice from 1981-1989, as evidence she's not a RINO? How could that POSSIBLY mean she's not a RINO?

There was a civil war within the GOP. It's over. Liz Cheney's side lost. And I don't intensely dislike Liz Cheney or anything, but she's no longer the preferred brand of Republican.

The civil war among democrats is just beginning, and lord almighty is it entertaining.
That's Merrick Garland's CV

The preferred brand are all Trumplicans, he is the leader of the Republican party

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-04-2021, 12:36 PM   #165
detbuch

Quote:
Once again you pick a couple of items out of a list

You've don that a lot.

Would you be upset if a teacher said this?

“Think about this. For 246 years, slavery was legal in America. It wasn’t made illegal until 154 years ago,” the 26-year-old teacher told the 23 students sitting before him at Fort Dodge Middle School. “So, what does that mean? It means slavery has been a part of America much longer than it hasn’t been a part of America.”

It is a simple observation, but it is also a revelatory way to think about slavery in America and its inextricable role in the country’s founding, evolution and present. Ours is a nation born as much in chains as in freedom. A century and a half after slavery was made illegal — and 400 years after the first documented arrival of enslaved people from Africa in Virginia — the trauma of this inherited disease lingers.
I would be upset if someone as myopic as the teacher you refer to was actually allowed to teach history.

Slavery has been a part of the recorded world longer than it not being part of it. It's even still part of the world that is older than "America."

So, by this teacher's reasoning, the whole world of human nations must have been "born" as much in chains as in freedom. The whole world must need CRT.

The amalgamation of what was referred to as America was not a separate sovereign nation during most of the 400 years. And since it became a sovereign republic, slavery was only part of the republic for 89 of it's 245 years, so it has been a part of the U.S. far less than when it wasn't a part of the U.S..

So, if this more than less formula is a model for needing CRT, maybe we are less in need of CRT than most. If in need at all. If CRT can actually and satisfactorily solve racial inequity without creating a worse systemic monster. In my opinion, it is the old authoritarian, actually dictatorial, way of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #166
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
I would be upset if someone as myopic as the teacher you refer to was actually allowed to teach history.

Slavery has been a part of the recorded world longer than it not being part of it. It's even still part of the world that is older than "America."

So, by this teacher's reasoning, the whole world of human nations must have been "born" as much in chains as in freedom. The whole world must need CRT.

The amalgamation of what was referred to as America was not a separate sovereign nation during most of the 400 years. And since it became a sovereign republic, slavery was only part of the republic for 89 of it's 245 years, so it has been a part of the U.S. far less than when it wasn't a part of the U.S..

So, if this more than less formula is a model for needing CRT, maybe we are less in need of CRT than most. If in need at all. If CRT can actually and satisfactorily solve racial inequity without creating a worse systemic monster. In my opinion, it is the old authoritarian, actually dictatorial, way of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
Easy enough to change that to “on this continent.” Unless you claim that with the Declaration of Independence we were miraculously reborn with blank minds.
We are not dealing with the rest of the world. Aren’t you the guy who says we should let the rest of the world take care of itself, that we shouldn’t be the world’s policeman.
Slavery was so much a part of this country that 750,000 Americans died in a fight over it 150 years ago, then we had the 14th, 15th and 24th amendments reconstruction, Jim Crow which lasted thru WW2
Then the civil rights act of 1957, 64, 68, 91
But pay no attention to any of that, everything in America is and has always been perfect.
Because the conservative position is that all criticism or change is bad. Except climate change, which doesn't exist.

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-04-2021, 02:30 PM   #167
spence

Quote:
Are you saying that when the school board wrote the letter, and listed examples of things that might be domestic terrorism, that the nazi salute wasn't on the list? Is that what you're saying?
I'm saying the school board letter didn't attach any specific law to any specific threat, nor did it say any of these threats should be prosecuted. It simply was asking for help to determine what protections may be available.

Quote:
To the question on CRT not being in schools...Spence, can I teach Marxism, without ever mentioning Karl Marx? If I advocate for his ideals, isn't that advocating for Marxism?

CRT isn't a copyrighted name brand.
There is a concentrated effort on the Right to bring anything that will activate some people under a master umbrella of CRT, then use anecdotes as evidence they are right. It seems to be working, yours are all twisted up in a bunch.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:57 PM   #168
Jim in CT

Quote:
I'm saying the school board letter didn't attach any specific law to any specific threat, nor did it say any of these threats should be prosecuted. It simply was asking for help to determine what protections may be available.

There is a concentrated effort on the Right to bring anything that will activate some people under a master umbrella of CRT, then use anecdotes as evidence they are right. It seems to be working, yours are all twisted up in a bunch.
according to many senators, the school board letter listed examples of behavior that had them concerned enough to ask the feds for terrorism help. one of the examples, was making the nazi salute.

i never said a specific law was quoted, what are you talking about?
Old 11-04-2021, 02:59 PM   #169
Jim in CT

Quote:

my kids are in catholic school
and thus aren’t vulnerable to your side’s attempted indoctrination. mine aren’t in any bunch, i have no dog in this hunt.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #170
detbuch

Quote:
Easy enough to change that to “on this continent.”

Slavery existed on this continent before Columbus.
And, on this continent, several Blacks owned slaves.

Unless you claim that with the Declaration of Independence we were miraculously reborn with blank minds.

It wasn't miraculous, nor was it rebirth. It was a birth delivered in blood and conceived not by blank minds, but by brave men with minds formed through the rare experience of actual freedom from the grips of tyrannical government. They did not believe that what they created was perfect. But more perfect than before and a blueprint for becoming more so.

We are not dealing with the rest of the world. Aren’t you the guy who says we should let the rest of the world take care of itself, that we shouldn’t be the world’s policeman.

Analysis and policing are not the same. Comparative analysis is highly instructive. The the larger and more universal the scope, the greater the reliability of the results. Unless you prefer little minds trapped in provincial tunnel vision.

Slavery was so much a part of this country that 750,000 Americans died in a fight over it 150 years ago, then we had the 14th, 15th and 24th amendments reconstruction, Jim Crow which lasted thru WW2
Then the civil rights act of 1957, 64, 68, 91

I don't know why you think that I, nor anyone I know, doesn't know all that.

But pay no attention to any of that, everything in America is and has always been perfect.

Nor do I know why you think I or anyone I know believes that. The Founders certainly didn't. They instituted a government that would give us a chance to evolve toward that elusive but impossible perfection. But, if we are to believe what CRT tells us, because they were all "white" their Constitution is riddled with "whiteness" and therefor systemically racist.

Because the conservative position is that all criticism or change is bad. Except climate change, which doesn't exist.
Since you ask me to pay no attention because of what you claim is the conservative position (I assume you think I am a "conservative"), I am flummoxed at how you arrive at such proclamations about me. I don't think all criticism is bad. I do a lot of criticism. As I'm sure those who you point to as "conservative" do as well. And it certainly is no position that I nor any Republicans I know hold that all change is bad. I'm sure that most of us, including you, believe that some changes can be bad.
Old 11-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #171
spence

Quote:
according to many senators, the school board letter listed examples of behavior that had them concerned enough to ask the feds for terrorism help. one of the examples, was making the nazi salute.

i never said a specific law was quoted, what are you talking about?
You said he was being described as a domestic terrorist, it's part of your bad habit of conflating statements, taking them out of context and then dipping the mess in hyperbole.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:08 PM   #172
Jim in CT

Quote:
You said he was being described as a domestic terrorist, it's part of your bad habit of conflating statements, taking them out of context and then dipping the mess in hyperbole.
i said the act of giving a nazi salute, was listed as a possible act of domestic terrorism by the school board.

why is that worth mentioning to the justice department? someone calls you a nazi, and you call the feds?

you guys went too far spence. that’s how i read this. the dnc moves a bit to the center, or they get absolutely creamed in 2022. unless things ( inflation, gas prices, covid) improve drastically, they have to move to the center, because that’s where america is. you guys can’t limit your focus on trump anymore.

AOC, one of the dumbest and unaccomplished people
on the planet, somehow has the power to lurch the whole party way to the left of where america is. what works i. san francisco and the upper wear side of manhattan,,doesn’t olay well in NC and FL. i don’t say that because i like it ( though i do like it). I say it because it’s true.

all they need to do to get back on track, is pass the infastructure bill, which everyone wants. The squad won’t let them, unless they pass a zillion dollar liberal utopia bill. why are those things necessarily connected?

Last edited by Jim in CT; 11-04-2021 at 08:20 PM..
Old 11-04-2021, 09:16 PM   #173
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
my kids are in catholic school
and thus aren’t vulnerable to your side’s attempted indoctrination. mine aren’t in any bunch, i have no dog in this hunt.
So just what did the catholic school have your child work on that triggered you?
Or?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #174
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally Posted by detbuch View Post
Since you ask me to pay no attention because of what you claim is the conservative position (I assume you think I am a "conservative"), I am flummoxed at how you arrive at such proclamations about me. I don't think all criticism is bad. I do a lot of criticism. As I'm sure those who you point to as "conservative" do as well. And it certainly is no position that I nor any Republicans I know hold that all change is bad. I'm sure that most of us, including you, believe that some changes can be bad.
So?
Lots of verbal diarrhea, claiming that anyone looking at our history thru a unfiltered lense will do just what?
Or is it that because some people hold the cards they should continue to decide what filters are acceptable?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #175
detbuch

Quote:
So?

??

Lots of verbal diarrhea, claiming that anyone looking at our history thru a unfiltered lense will do just what?

???

Or is it that because some people hold the cards they should continue to decide what filters are acceptable?
???? Needs some filters. Makes no sense. Maybe you should decide to change your filters.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:44 AM   #176
Jim in CT

Quote:
So just what did the catholic school have your child work on that triggered you?
Or?
just because i’m bitch-slapping you all over the place here, doesn’t mean i’m triggered. You are confusing “triggered” with “winning”.

look them up in the dictionary, you’ll see what i mean. As you like to say, a simple google search will do.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:23 AM   #177
scottw

Quote:

just because i’m bitch-slapping you all over the place here, doesn’t mean i’m triggered.

ALMOST LOST MY COFFEE
Old 11-05-2021, 08:23 AM   #178
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
just because i’m bitch-slapping you all over the place here, doesn’t mean i’m triggered. You are confusing “triggered” with “winning”.

look them up in the dictionary, you’ll see what i mean. As you like to say, a simple google search will do.
Poor girl
You still can’t produce what your child was required to do
Were you lying?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 11-05-2021, 08:48 AM   #179
Jim in CT

Quote:
Poor girl
You still can’t produce what your child was required to do
Were you lying?
do you think that every single person showing examples of kids work related to CRT theory, is lying?

Pete, it was a report he had to write a year ago when he was in public school. i’m sure we don’t still have it, i’m sorry. Something about listing the ways he benefits from his white privilege and listing ways he can level the playing field. something like that. he also had to watch a cartoon showing two boys making out, and the message was that he should be an engaged activist for their rights. not merely accepting them, but spending his weekends fighting for their rights.

he’s not in that school anymore.
Old 11-05-2021, 11:01 AM   #180
Pete F.
Canceled

Do conservatives not spend quality time with their kids? Does the party of family values not have values to impart to their kids?
I never worried my kid was going to turn out to be a bigot after they see a bigot on TV or read about one in a book. Nor did I think they would catch gay from someone.