Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

HR 4269

Here we go..... Democrats trying to rewrite the Constitution. And take away guns from law abiding, licensed citizenry. Obama wants this done before gets out of office and has 124 of his democratic reps acting as his sheeple. Wake the eff up people!
Old 12-30-2015, 10:12 PM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Here it comes...be aware

HR 4269

google it

Filed at year end when many are off, not paying attention. 124 reps of one party doing the dirty work. Intent is clear. And they will try to justify rewriting the Constitution to get their way.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
chris L

Ross
Its only the beginning , where it stops no one knows . If more carried guns knuckleheads would think twice before shooting up a crowd . And less would suffer and or die .

There is no way to stop a determined person from doing what hey want to do . They may get delayed but eventually they do it .
Case in point the World Trade Centers ! A determined enemy of the people of the United States . isis is also determined we have no idea what they will do next .

OK im gong back into my cave
Have a NICE New Years !
Old 12-31-2015, 01:13 AM   #4
Rob Rockcrawler

Wow they want to ban a ton of firearms in this bill. While i don't see the need for owning a so called "assault rifle" they sure are fun to shoot and i don't see the need to ban them. Bills like this will make AR's and AK's fly off the shelf. Close the so called gun show loophole. Don't see a problem with background checks but that's as far as i am willing to go.

Everything is better on the rocks.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:36 AM   #5
wdmso

Can the right please stop being afraid of everything.. I have been hearing this same song for 30 years and it still hasn't happen yet .. Have has many guns as you want but i feel they should be registered and if you want Military rifles you should have a addition permit .. But if the gun lobby keeps it stance on Guns like they do on Global warming just denying the problem . then others are just going to try to change things without them..

But yet The House of Representatives on Tuesday voted for the 56th time to repeal or undermine the Affordable Care Act.

Point is they Congress try all the time and both parties waste time on Votes only to pander to their bases.. and the regular American gets ignored
Old 12-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
Fishpart
Keep The Change

No warrant gun confiscation begins in Kalifornia tomorrow... Slippery Slope

Via The Washington Times:

Gun-safety legislation going into effect in California next week will allow authorities to seize a person’s weapons for 21 days if a judge determines there’s potential for violence.

Proposed in the wake of a deadly May 2014 shooting rampage by Elliot Rodger, the bill provides family members with a means of having an emergency “gun violence restraining order” imposed against a loved one if they can convince a judge that allowing that person to possess a firearm “poses an immediate and present danger of causing personal injury to himself, herself or another by having in his or her custody or control.”

“The law gives us a vehicle to cause the person to surrender their weapons, to have a time out, if you will,” Los Angeles Police Department Assistant Chief Michael Moore told a local NPR affiliate. “It allows further examination of the person’s mental state.”

“It’s a short duration and it allows for due process,” he continued, adding: “It’s an opportunity for mental health professionals to provide an analysis of a person’s mental state.”

Entire article here:
http://www.redstate.com/2015/12/30/h...ion-january-1/

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 12-31-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
Nebe

Why is that a bad thing?

If a judge decides I am a risk for being violent with my guns, I would hope someone took them away from me.

I would really like to see less mass shootings...

The way I see this happening is a family member or friend might call the athoraties and inform them that this person is unstable and should not own guns.

Is it perfect ? Probably not.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 12-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

There is a process gun owners must follow in order to possess their guns, including a background check, and, at least in Massachusetts, authorization from local police chief, or local agency.
The back end of the license process, similar to drivers license, is not well defined. Slippery slope? Maybe. But has some merits.
If I am at a gun range, I am always super aware of who is around me and their actions. No way I want an unstable individual there, especially with a firearm in their possession. There have been some who would have been judged stable, but by their behavior and handling of a weapon have made me nervous. So while not having read this particular law in whole, it has some merits in protecting the public.
But..... It is not trying to override an amendment of the Constitution. It is not banning possession of certain weapons. It does include a rough draft of a due process that would need to be developed. (Not a lot of Mass. judges that I would want deciding my rights in this situation.) I don't care if it is a resident, a neighbor, family member, fellow military unit member, or just another guy at the range; if they are not mentally fit, they should not be in possession. As redlite once said on this board; owning and carrying a gun is likely the most awesome responsibility one can have.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:50 AM   #9
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man

Get a concealed carry permit or a LTC...whatever they call it in your state. It's one of the way to protect your rights...I think. BTW, I have a concealed carry permit.

No boat, back in the suds.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
Sea Dangles

Um,yeah. The guy who threw rocks at Rick for being in his fishing spot is level headed.

To me the most awesome responsibility is raising children. It will be difficult fixing the gun thing as the gun nuts will always cling to the constitution regardless of the flaws that have become evident to anyone with common sense. I am not opposed to guns,just opposed to stupidity.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #11
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Why is that a bad thing?

If a judge decides I am a risk for being violent with my guns, I would hope someone took them away from me.

I would really like to see less mass shootings...

The way I see this happening is a family member or friend might call the athoraties and inform them that this person is unstable and should not own guns.

Is it perfect ? Probably not.
This is a case of guilty until proven innocent where the burden of proof falls upon the innocent who lost their rights as the result of an allegation...

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 12-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #12
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Um,yeah. The guy who threw rocks at Rick for being in his fishing spot is level headed.

To me the most awesome responsibility is raising children. It will be difficult fixing the gun thing as the gun nuts will always cling to the constitution regardless of the flaws that have become evident to anyone with common sense. I am not opposed to guns,just opposed to stupidity.
"Gun nuts " , childish names like this pretty much makes everything else you said irrelevant. it's very tough to have an honest conversation about guns when any point you bring up includes name calling .
Old 12-31-2015, 11:34 AM   #13
DZ

I'm not a firearm owner but respect gun owners rights and privileges... to a point. But what really troubles me is the gun lobby's stubborn refusal to compromise on just about anything. The argument that "once we give up something the door is open" is really getting old. Refusing to compromise has now set up a predicted presidential Executive Order coming out soon. This is what happens when they don't come to the table.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
detbuch

Quote:
It will be difficult fixing the gun thing as the gun nuts will always cling to the constitution regardless of the flaws that have become evident to anyone with common sense. I am not opposed to guns,just opposed to stupidity.
"Common sense"? "Cling to the Constitution"? So, are we supposed to amend the Constitution using "common sense"? How about science? You seem to value science as a final verdict of sorts. Should science depend on common sense? Are you a common sense nut? Are you clinging to common sense? And your "opposed to stupidity"?

You like to accuse others of being like the Taliban. But you don't mind throwing out Taliban-like dictums which would require the rest of the world to accept your version of what is right, or your version of common sense?

Common sense varies according to what a majority at any given time has as a common belief. It doesn't protect minority beliefs or rights. And what is common not only changes, but it is often stupid.

Last edited by detbuch; 12-31-2015 at 12:13 PM..
Old 12-31-2015, 11:40 AM   #15
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Sorry, Ross, there's no reason to start the same political thread in the main forum, when there's a live thread in the correct forum, which is this one. I'm going to merge the two threads---there is a re-direct in the main.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:47 AM   #16
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ View Post
I'm not a firearm owner but respect gun owners rights and privileges... to a point. But what really troubles me is the gun lobby's stubborn refusal to compromise on just about anything. The argument that "once we give up something the door is open" is really getting old. Refusing to compromise has now set up a predicted presidential Executive Order coming out soon. This is what happens when they don't come to the table.
What's with all the common sense?
Old 12-31-2015, 11:55 AM   #17
Nebe

Just don't take my Riffe.
From my cold wet hands.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:03 PM   #18
detbuch

Quote:
Compromise is a really comfortable word. It has a great common sense ring to it. And the great majority of people probably believe that compromise is a good answer for many disputes.

But there is a harsher, far less comfortable word. Principle. It is a source word. A basis from which things function. It is not subject to common sense. Common sense which is devoid of a valid principle is more often stupid sense.

When principles are compromised, chaos and conflict follow. Rule of law is corrupted. "Coming to the table" becomes surrender to majority opinion, tyranny of the majority, destruction of minority rights.

Compromise in the universe of little things, personal disputes over non-essential things which are not rooted in fundamental principles . . . compromise in such things is usually good.

Compromising the principle of a thing is the destruction of that thing.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:06 PM   #19
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Can the right please stop being afraid of everything.. I have been hearing this same song for 30 years and it still hasn't happen yet .. Have has many guns as you want but i feel they should be registered and if you want Military rifles you should have a addition permit .. But if the gun lobby keeps it stance on Guns like they do on Global warming just denying the problem . then others are just going to try to change things without them..

But yet The House of Representatives on Tuesday voted for the 56th time to repeal or undermine the Affordable Care Act.

Point is they Congress try all the time and both parties waste time on Votes only to pander to their bases.. and the regular American gets ignored
No. Permits and legal firearms ownership is not the issue. I will not submit to any additional restrictions. Why people think more laws and regulations will help anything is beyond me.

Does your incessant whining make you feel better? How about you just shut the hell up and suck it up? It's a fishing forum , so please just stop.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #20
DZ

It's great to play with word meanings but this is a real issue.

DZ
Recreational Surfcaster
"Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your Limit"

Bi + Ne = SB 2

If you haven't heard of the Snowstorm Blitz of 1987 - you someday will.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:37 PM   #21
PaulS

Quote:
That is exactly how I feel.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:43 PM   #22
buckman

There are a lot of gun laws on the books , so gunowners can't be accused of not compromising . Feel free to post up statistics showing that the gun laws that are on the books are either enforced or are working .

Last edited by buckman; 12-31-2015 at 12:49 PM..
Old 12-31-2015, 01:20 PM   #23
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
There are a lot of gun laws on the books , so gunowners can't be accused of not compromising . Feel free to post up statistics showing that the gun laws that are on the books are either enforced or are working .
Considering that gun lobby pandering Republicans have largely prevented the Government from seriously studying the issue where do you think these "statistics" are going to come from?
Old 12-31-2015, 01:26 PM   #24
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Considering that gun lobby pandering Republicans have largely prevented the Government from seriously studying the issue where do you think these "statistics" are going to come from?
Don't you hate when the Republicans abide by the Constitution . The nerve of them .

There are plenty a private gun studies that are done , of course the validity of them can be suspect because the source of the money pretty much dictates the results of the study . Such is the case of any government studies .

Enjoy your New Year's Spence !
Old 12-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #25
spence

Quote:
Don't you hate when the Republicans abide by the Constitution . The nerve of them .
Ah yes, the Constitution doesn't explicitly call for the study of health issues so they're abiding by it.

What about all those other Government health studies the Constitution doesn't call for but that we benefit from? I assume you're going to exempt yourself and your family from most treatments for infectious disease etc...

Would that make you a hypocrite or just one of Dangle's gun nuts?
Old 12-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #26
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
Ah yes, the Constitution doesn't explicitly call for the study of health issues so they're abiding by it.

What about all those other Government health studies the Constitution doesn't call for but that we benefit from? I assume you're going to exempt yourself and your family from most treatments for infectious disease etc...

Would that make you a hypocrite or just one of Dangle's gun nuts?
Why didn't we do the "studies " in the first few years of Obama's tenure? You know when the Democrats controlled everything .
Blame the Republicans.... Yawn
Old 12-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #27
spence

Quote:
Why didn't we do the "studies " in the first few years of Obama's tenure? You know when the Democrats controlled everything .
Blame the Republicans.... Yawn
Sure, a year of research should certainly prove conclusive...
Old 12-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #28
Nebe

Can you imagine if this country actually went back to the original way that the constitution intended ? True freedom and oppression of government ? That would be sweet
Old 12-31-2015, 04:14 PM   #29
Sea Dangles

Sorry if that term offended anybody with thin skin but the expression has a lot of validity. The fact I have to explain myself to a human being that thinks that there is no need for new restrictions because the old don't work anyhow.....
Wow
Old 12-31-2015, 04:19 PM   #30
buckman

Quote:
Sorry if that term offended anybody with thin skin but the expression has a lot of validity. The fact I have to explain myself to a human being that thinks that there is no need for new restrictions because the old don't work anyhow.....
Wow
Actually I believe what I said was your explanations were irrelevant