Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 10-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
american spirit
Formerly the_shocker

Baseball cards

does anyone know if baseball cards are still valuable. came across a ton of upper deck/ tops full sets from the late 80's/ early 90's in the crawlspace.
american spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
FinS 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by american spirit View Post
does anyone know if baseball cards are still valuable. came across a ton of upper deck/ tops full sets from the late 80's/ early 90's in the crawlspace.
baseball cards were sort of an obsession for me for quite sometime. the thing with 80's and 90's baseball cards is well it was a time where cards were heavily mass produced, even sets. I mean take for example, complete set fleer 1990 in w/ original seals, has some good cards, sosa rookie, and some other stuff, but its value is only maybe $25.

ifyou give me what you fund, like exact company, set and year i could probably give you a value on all of it

Century Rods USA Pro Staff Member
FinS 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Been there, done that! They make cool noises in the spokes of your canal bike??

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

beckett.com or buy a Beckett magazine. I have a lot of 1993 cards from many sports but I don't think they are worth what I paid for them. (It was the year my kids were born and was hoping they would appreciate to help with education. Unfortunately, that was the market top.......)

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
FinS 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
beckett.com or buy a Beckett magazine. I have a lot of 1993 cards from many sports but I don't think they are worth what I paid for them. (It was the year my kids were born and was hoping they would appreciate to help with education. Unfortunately, that was the market top.......)
yep the real value is in older cards(generally), to serious card collectors the 90's held very few valuable pieces, often times a whole set, can be worth as much as the most expensive card there, and getting that graded can be worth even more

Century Rods USA Pro Staff Member
FinS 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by american spirit View Post
does anyone know if baseball cards are still valuable.
Only if somebody will pay you for them......seriously, they are only worth what someone is willing to give you for them....regardless of what Becketts lists them at.

Look up the rookies for those years and see if any stand out as future HOF potential...that will tell you if there might be something in there of value.

Don't forget you may hit some Steroid era players that are probably now considered worthless

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Check cards on eBay?

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
FishermanTim

Because of the flood of card companies in the 80's and 90's, they are not going to be worth much unless you get a rare gem.
The real money (if you can call it that) is in the cards from the 60's and 70's.
In any case, there could be a possibility of some increased value if you keep them for a couple of decades, and they are stored properly and they are still sealed or properly mounted (to minimize aging and wear).

Think of them as a long term investment with risks.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote