Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Slipknot
Super Moderator

What Plugfest is about

What it's all about

Well folks, once again we are getting ready for plugfest.
For those who don't know about it, Plugfest goes back more than 10 years. It began as a simple gathering in my home workshop where we had about 18-20 guys including JHabs, and Tattoo who brought a few plug building supplies along with their knowledge to share. We had 3 or 4 lathes going, we had Got Stripers out back pouring Ledgerunner rubba, we had Saltheart tying tailhooks, we had Smokey and Saltheart pouring lead jigs outside. It was quite the day
The next year got bigger so less building going on but still a lot was learned, I think capesams brought a bunch of rod blanks he was getting rid of cheap. The following year year it was clear we had to move to a bigger place so we had it at the Mitchel club where it was for about 3-4 years. Canalman and salty began a contest one year, I also had a smaller gathering at my shop in january where mr.pogie demonstrated how to make a bottle swimmer. It kept on growing from there each year and we had it at different places - Carver, then the last 2 years in Buzzards Bay.
For those who don't know about plugfest, I will explain a little bit. I will also remind others of how things go, so forgive the long post please.
Plugfest is a gathering of obsessed fishermen who craft,modify, or repaint their fishing lures. we get together every winter and trade plugs,share ideas and methods and eat food, usually the eats are as good as the plugs so maybe we can step it up a bit and catch up this year with some great food. We also have some sort of building contest. We also usually have a raffle of some sort where guys can donate plugs etc. to raise money for JohnR for the site or some worthy cause.

It costs about 10 bucks to get in,kids and seniors are free and you'll get a ballot for voting and an entrance ticket for a door prize and a nametag which we would like you to put on please, it helps a lot. We try to raise enough money to cover the hall expenses and winners certificates, etc.

Hopefully we will have some demonstrations going on also if we get any offers, if we don't I will have to bore you all with something. The last few years Joe aka Rockfish9 has brought some killer displays of each step involved in making certain plugs.
If anyone wants to offer to do any demonstrations, please feel free. We can begin another thread about that.
Plugfest is NOT a place to come and sell plugs or buy them, so if that is your intention, please stay home. If you only come to try to ho plugs from guys for nothing, well, you better bring something to trade or forget about it, nobody should be pressured into giving away a work of art which is what these plugs pretty much are. If guys want to hand out plugs that is up to them, if they do it would be nice to give feedback on how you do with it. It's about commraderie and learning and is supposed to be fun.

Usually a sponsor comes and sells plug building materials, so that stuff should be available too.

This year quite a few of us will make contest plugs like I mentioned. ODMIKE has a thread sticky about a contest. I am not sure if you guys want to include the usual stuff or not, like best of show, classic plug reproduction. We can have a category for fishable plugs and another category for novelty or whatever. We can discuss this more.

If we all watch out for each others stuff, there should be no problems of anything mysteriously disappearing. Anyone caught pocketing anything will be promptly tossed in the canal for a swim. I'd like to feel comfortable stepping away from my display and not have to worry about it.

This year the NEW location is the Wareham Elks club. We can start around 8:00 and be out of there by 3 or so.
This place is the largest place we have had it to date, there will be plenty of room for everyone to have a table to display stuff and trade and talk about plugs all day. The past couple years the hall opened the kitchen to sell luch which worked out great for us to not have to deal so much with preparing food to put out. We can still bring some dishes of food and drink, but this gives us an option since some years not so many have participated in bringing food. It works out better this way. And this hall is plenty big enough.

So get your creative juices flowing and knock out some great plugs and do the best you can. With all the knowledge on this site I'm sure they'll catch fish just fine.
Newcomers are welcome also. There will be something for everyone.
See you all there,
thanks

Bruce

Last edited by Slipknot; 02-08-2012 at 07:39 AM..
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
striperman36
Old Guy

So I guess we'll have have plugs and eggs?
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
johnny ducketts
><(((°> ><((( °> ><(((°>

I ❤ plugfest!
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
johnny ducketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
hardcore from shore

Came to MA Friday 2/3 and early Saturday 2/4 and visited my dad (I have been working in OH weeekdays and living weekends in FL since DEC). He is getting ready as I noted on the thread re the special plug raffle he has a Marine inspired plug in the works and a few other he is working on. After last years Plug Fest his plug building and painting even got better (and it was pretty good before then) including scaling effect in his paint jobs. I caught more keepers on his 9" needle last year than on any other plug. Funny story, last June I was at the canal fishing tri state in the dark, at dawn the fisherman to my right called out, "Bill P is that you?" I said "yes" , it was Big Fish and he said he knew it was me because he could see the action of my dad's award winning flaptail.
Looking forward to Plugfest. Bill

Hardcore from shore
hardcore from shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
iamskippy

The amount of information that is shared at plugfest is overwhelming, bring a note book and calipers. The quality in my plugs jumped 100 fold just from last years plugfest which was my first.

Rock's jig setup was amazing, i cant remember the. Older gentalmens name, but he had the coolest plug holder made out of stair pieces ( rail caps). Its overwhelming if its your first year as last year was mine and im hooked, just hope to be able to get that sat off...............
iamskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

You have to bring your camera, if nothing else. Did Slipknot mention the raffle. Most of the builders throw a plug on the raffle table, and the raffle is held at the end of the day. All the proceeds go to keep the lights on at S-B.ccom. I'll be taking care of that in one corner or another next to Bigfish.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
You have to bring your camera, if nothing else. Did Slipknot mention the raffle. Most of the builders throw a plug on the raffle table, and the raffle is held at the end of the day. All the proceeds go to keep the lights on at S-B.ccom. I'll be taking care of that in one corner or another next to Bigfish.
the raffle is amazing and can go on for hours with the amount of donations, its great, and it does help with the site costs, and is always a good cause, that is one thing i like about this site, everyone is always willing to help when help is needed.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I will have a fly vise up for raffle that will also go until too cold to fish nite and be picked there. All proceeds will go to John. I will try and get some pics up soon.

Hopefully a classic plug reproduction category as that is the one I am shooting for as my spare time is very limited this year.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
iamskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
I will have a fly vise up for raffle that will also go until too cold to fish nite and be picked there. All proceeds will go to John. I will try and get some pics up soon.
Will there be progressive ticket purchasing for the vice. 10 for 5 / 20 for 10? Very interested in this, im in need of a new vice
Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

I think last time it was 5 bucks a ticket. If I had to put a price on it I would have to say 300 bucks as the jaws are 95 bucks alone and I got a bunch of hours into them. It will be a rotary vise. Don't want to hijack this thread. I will put up more info this weekend if I get some time. P.

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
O.D. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot View Post
What it's all about

This year quite a few of us will make contest plugs like I mentioned. ODMIKE has a thread sticky about a contest. I am not sure if you guys want to include the usual stuff or not, like best of show, classic plug reproduction. We can have a category for fishable plugs and another category for novelty or whatever. We can discuss this more.

See you all there,
thanks

Bruce

Bruce,

I like the idea of classic plug, novelty, best of show.

OD

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
O.D. Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamskippy View Post
Will there be progressive ticket purchasing for the vice. 10 for 5 / 20 for 10? Very interested in this, im in need of a new vice
Anyone who gets this vise, I would consider to be lucky!!! Its an awesome vise and has Renzetti master vise head on it, if its the one Paul showed me. Very impressive!!!

"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice." >> Yoda
O.D. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
Mojo7
Mojo

This will be my first plugfest I can't wait.
Mojo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #14
sks

I missed the last 2 but plan on making this one. I have a bunch of my hand carved but none will be painted yet.
sks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #15
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Whats the date on this... yes I live under a rock...
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
GregW
Secretsquirrel

I obviously don't know how to build plugs and so obviously don't have anything to trade , but would like to attend and socialize and learn some stuff.
I can bring food if that helps. Let me know.
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #17
GregW
Secretsquirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post
March 3rd 2012
about 8:00 am to 3 pm
Wareham Lodge of Elks

I got that info from the pinned thread.
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #18
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.D. Mike View Post
Bruce,

I like the idea of classic plug, novelty, best of show.

OD
ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by sks View Post
I missed the last 2 but plan on making this one. I have a bunch of my hand carved but none will be painted yet.
it will be good to see you
Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post
march 3rd Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I obviously don't know how to build plugs and so obviously don't have anything to trade , but would like to attend and socialize and learn some stuff.
see you there Greg, you can learn how to
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #19
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
March 3rd 2012
about 8:00 am to 3 pm
Wareham Lodge of Elks

I got that info from the pinned thread.

Would be nice to see you guys... and I do miss making plugs,,,,....
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #20
tysdad115

Quote:
Stick with Tyler for a bit, watch him weasel plugs out of people , the little bastage..
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
Rockfish9

I'll have the darter "how to" display again.. as well as my collection of fixtures and jigs... I have the display of the various wiring methods.. I'll bring that too... I may have "a plug or two " for trade... unfortunatly.. most of what i've made this year is darters.. I'm obseesed with making them.. i've still got time to make some neat stuff.. now that the Pat's .. forget them... I've still got some time...

each year I talk about bringing the twin towers of spinners.. maybe this will be the year if there is room...

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #22
blondterror

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
Stick with Tyler for a bit, watch him weasel plugs out of people , the little bastage..

Tyler is a master plug ho... he has the innocence thing on his side and everyone wants to give the kid a plug for his collection...

Blond Terror
blondterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #23
sks

Darn my kids are not cute anymore, although one is kind of intimadating but he won't make it down. Like I metioned I will have some plugs to trade but none are painted but they are all hand carved. See what kind of time I have and I will see about some moose something or other.
sks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #24
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysdad115 View Post
I'm bringing my kid this year and he better be able to get me some plugs. If not, I'm bringing his Lego sets and Nintendo DS games to trade.

Last year, I made out really well thanks to OD Mike.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #25
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondterror View Post
Tyler is a master plug ho... he has the innocence thing on his side and everyone wants to give the kid a plug for his collection...
Collection NOT, Tyler is sure to give any plug a thorough testing and if he can't make it work then time for that plug to go to the scrap heap!

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #26
tysdad115

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Collection NOT, Tyler is sure to give any plug a thorough testing and if he can't make it work then time for that plug to go to the scrap heap!
True Phil, he likes to catch at least one fish on them before he puts them in the "collection" ..I can't blame him for that.
tysdad115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #27
Rockfish9

a week and a half until plugfest and NO ONES talking about it... whats the gig no one working on anything?
I've been turning and burning for three nights just to have a few "extra " things for display..

I'm going to have my display ( upgraded) of how to make a 2 hook darter...

I'm also going to have a bunch of jigs and fixtures, this year I'll have self expalanatory ( yea right) pictures so i dont get so many "what's that for" questions...

I'm going to have the rigging display.. showing some common ( and uncommon) methods of rigging..

I'll have a display of various jointed plugs including my giant jointed jitter bugs.. as well as a "few" plugs for viewing and or trading..

I know Professor M has ALOT of neat stuff he usualy brings..

Numbskull always has fascinating dispalys as well..

so.. who's got what?

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #28
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Been working on various batches steadily for awhile. Should be ready to rig some tonight and be epoxying tomorrow.Playing with some color shifting paint... Making adjustments on some newly made profiles for the vega, and hope to get some others done before next Saturday.

Making up a number of masters with hook, eye, and weight markings, right off the lathe with the ends on. I've set up a few trades of these with folks as opposed to the finished plugs.

Still trying to perfect the cutting of a popper and pencil mouth. Need to get a Kudzall ball rasp I guess. Questioning if a cupped mouth even affects anything on a pencil....

Anyone bringing AYC for sale?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #29
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

yes I'll bring all my neat crap Probably not a lot of plugage as I have had limited time this year, I'll have some stuff though.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #30
tattoobob
Soggy Bottom Boy

I changed the Date to my plumbing class, so I can go to this (not that anyone cares) I'm not bringing anything I'm just going to follow tagger around and nod my head alot when he talks to people

Surfcasting Full Throttle

Don't judge me Monkey

Recreational Surfcaster 99.9% C&R
tattoobob is offline   Reply With Quote