Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 03-02-2009, 04:17 PM   #1
striperman36
Old Guy

Dow Jones decline rate mimics Great Depression

Now this is scary.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-101...g=2547-1_3-0-5
Old 03-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #2
Bronko

Barak Hussein Obama will fix it. He was elected to do so.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 03-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
buckman

He does not have a clue how to fix it. A challenge anyone to give me some proof or indication that he does.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
He does not have a clue how to fix it. A challenge anyone to give me some proof or indication that he does.
NOBODY KNOWS, except maybe for you, but you have continued to be silent in that regard
Old 03-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
ecduzitgood
time to go

I'm going to have to get an Obama coffee mug that has his symbol on one side and change on the other under witch I will write 'MISTA'. I have a feeling it will come in handy.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #6
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
NOBODY KNOWS, except maybe for you, but you have continued to be silent in that regard
So have most if not nearly all conservative voices.

If there was an easy solution they would have offered it up and won the election.

So Obama inherits two wars, the worst economy in perhaps 70 years, the chance of Peak Oil for a carbon based economy and a looming medical entitlement that's a steeper hockey stick than even best case Global Warming data...

And he's a failure because it's not all fixed a few weeks into office?

And this is from the same people who stood behind Bush after years of proven mistakes, cronyism and general incompetence.

By what standards are you measuring your leadership?

-spene
Old 03-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
-spene
Party lines and the Dow...

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
Bingo! I *know* we'd be having the same exact conversations if McCain had won office. Except we'd also be talking about how he's a terrible speaker and unable to instill any sort of hopeful, "we'll get through it" feelings in anyone.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Bingo! I *know* we'd be having the same exact conversations if McCain had won office. Except we'd also be talking about how he's a terrible speaker and unable to instill any sort of hopeful, "we'll get through it" feelings in anyone.
Unless he had Palin interpret wearing a........
Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
And with both measures your'e losing.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #11
buckman

Your not going to like my answer but here goes.

Don't raise taxes on the people and small companies that you need to succeed in order for a recovery to take place. Cut taxes. The Feds. don't need the money. Give it back to the people that will create jobs. At least don't take more. Why do you buy into the fact that the need to tax the rich? Don't give me the " that's what got us here, BS" it's what got us out of the last recession in the 80's. You can't nationalize America and "hope" things get better. You guy's pushed for "change". I'm asking you what change will he bring that will make America better. You don't effin know. You guessed!

I'm pissed at both Dems and Repubs. I want every incumbant to lose there job next election. I don't care if you replace a Republican with a Democrat. That's the change I want. They all suck. SEND A MESSAGE YOU SHEEP!

People alot smarter then you and I know it won't work. That's why the Dow is crashing beyond levels anyone predicted.

We can not deficit spend our way out of this. That's the bottom line.

You like to say I have no answers and I keep saying doing nothing would have been better. Show me different.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
So have most if not nearly all conservative voices.

If there was an easy solution they would have offered it up and won the election.

So Obama inherits two wars, the worst economy in perhaps 70 years, the chance of Peak Oil for a carbon based economy and a looming medical entitlement that's a steeper hockey stick than even best case Global Warming data...

And he's a failure because it's not all fixed a few weeks into office?

And this is from the same people who stood behind Bush after years of proven mistakes, cronyism and general incompetence.

-spene
No, he's a failure for effin everything up worse in a few weeks. Please stop giving him excuses for failing.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Your not going to like my answer but here goes.

Don't raise taxes on the people and small companies that you need to succeed in order for a recovery to take place. Cut taxes. The Feds. don't need the money. Give it back to the people that will create jobs. At least don't take more.
This part I do agree with particularly when you add that sole proprietorship's normally file as individual taxpayers not corp. or LLC.

The rest is ranting, no one, anywhere has an answer to our current situation. IMO, letting Lehman fail was the WORST thing Paulson could have done.
Letting GM, FORD, Chrysler fail is the worst thing this country can do.

AIG our 80pct government owned insurer, posted a 99 billion dollar loss for 2008 after get 85 billion? That's sounds like taking advantage of a crisis. Let the IRS auditors go over that.

I just don't buy sitting by and doing nothing. However, every century of this old USofA's existence there has been multiple failures, crisis that have jarred the financial system. In most cases, the federal government intervened to try and right the system. Sometimes it worked, other times nothing worked.
What doesn't work is haranguing the fact that the federal government is doing something. However, we live in one of the most free speech societies in the world, which allows us all to sit around and wag one way or the other regardless.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #14
Bronko

Barry will fix it. He promised.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan
Old 03-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #15
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
No, he's a failure for effin everything up worse in a few weeks. Please stop giving him excuses for failing.
I'd like to give it more than 6 weeks to see what happens.
Revisit this thread in August, after 6 full Months. If the economy has not shown any sign of improvement, then I'll start to believe you.

I voted for change, but had no illusions that the positive change would be before March 2nd... we were on a downward slide for more than 5 months, (I know the date b/c we pulled money out of the Market in Oct when the Dow went hit 9,500, in hindsight a smart decision, I wish we had done it at 10500, oh well). To start implying that everything needs to be rosy NOW is asinine...

The 1929 crash took 3 years to bottom out and the return to 1929 levels was 25 years! I know different economy, different times, but the timeline was not weeks or even months.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 03-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #16
fishbones

Quote:
I'd like to give it more than 6 weeks to see what happens.
Revisit this thread in August, after 6 full Months. If the economy has not shown any sign of improvement, then I'll start to believe you.

I voted for change, but had no illusions that the positive change would be before March 2nd... we were on a downward slide for more than 5 months, (I know the date b/c we pulled money out of the Market in Oct when the Dow went hit 9,500, in hindsight a smart decision, I wish we had done it at 10500, oh well). To start implying that everything needs to be rosy NOW is asinine...

The 1929 crash took 3 years to bottom out and the return to 1929 levels was 25 years! I know different economy, different times, but the timeline was not weeks or even months.
RIRockhound, I'm willing to give it more than 6 weeks because I know in a best case scenario it will take much longer than that to even see signs of improvement. But, I think a lot of people who voted for Obama are going to start turning on him soon. He had many people believing that as long as he was elected, there would be instant improvement, and things have actually gotten worse.

A big difference between the 1929 crash and now is that we're in a global economy now. Our economy impacts other countries and vice versa much more than in 1929. Back then, we didn't export jobs and import products the way we do now. I know it's been beat to death, but we need to give businesses incentive to manufacture goods in this country.

As for bailing out companies, we can't let them keep throwing good money after bad like they're doing with AIG. There has to be a tipping point where some companies are allowed to fail.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 03-02-2009, 11:52 PM   #17
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
A big difference between the 1929 crash and now is that we're in a global economy now.
Another big difference is the way in which the Stock Market is used. In 1929, it took days to buy/sell stocks. Today, it takes seconds. And unfortunately, people use the market as a measure of how the economy is doing - when it's really way, way more than that.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #18
Flaptail

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperman36 View Post
That's because we are in a depression. My friend works for the IRS, he was saying this two months ago and everyone that works for him agrees.

He says we have two years at least ahead of us of financial chaos. All he says about the stimulus package is that somebody has to do something, at least the new President tried something. It will be a long time before we know if it actually worked though.

American greed in the marketplace took over. Now it has to fix itself if you ask me.

Why even try.........
Old 03-03-2009, 02:10 PM   #19
striperman36
Old Guy

the apple was eaten and we have been cast out for the time being