Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Our soldiers are dying

so that these people can be free......

bring the troops home today.

CNN) -- At least 12 people were killed Friday in an attack on a United Nations building in Afghanistan that followed a demonstration against the reported burning of a Quran in Florida last month, authorities and a U.N. source with knowledge of the events said.

Eight workers for the U.N. and four Afghans were killed, said Abdul Rauof Taj, security director of Bulkh province. At least 24 people were injured, he said.

The attack followed a demonstration against the reported burning of a Quran this month by Florida pastor Terry Jones, who gained international attention last year with his plans to burn a Quran, the U.N. source with knowledge of events said.

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
Old 04-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
Chesapeake Bill

I say we should remove the troops and replace them with Terry Jones...
Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesapeake Bill View Post
I say we should remove the troops and replace them with Terry Jones...
why stop at terry jones? how about the woman exposing their bodies? All people eating pork? All men sleeping with multiple women? All people drinking in bars? Im sure there are millions of things we are free to do in this country that will insult them
Send them all so they can be stoned!

Old 04-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Sorry CB....but I saw that comin' a Mile Away

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 04-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Sorry CB....but I saw that comin' a Mile Away
Im pretty predictable, or is it consistent?

Old 04-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #6
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Consistently Predictable....

Old 04-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
JohnnyD

Those people are a bunch of savages...
Old 04-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #8
basswipe

As a veteran this has to be one of the STUPEDIST threads I've ever read on this site.

RIJIMMY,American serviceman have been dying so that others can be free since before you or I were born.Its what Soldiers,Airmen,Marines and Seamen do.Unfortunately we have to defend the rights of religious fanatics like Terry Jones or the loathsome Westboro Baptist Church.

Bring the troops home.....to little to late for that mantra.We are now forced into finishing what has been started.Time to do things right.

Btw excellent thread title....."Our soldiers are dying".You get the Captain Obvious title for that!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
spence

I think we should always set policy by the extremeists.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
zimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
so that these people can be free......

bring the troops home today.
Actually, the soldiers are dying so we can be free. If you remember... before we went in there it was wide open for terrorist training. I am thankful to those guys over there who are putting there lives on the line so WE are safer here.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by basswipe View Post
As a veteran this has to be one of the STUPEDIST threads I've ever read on this site.

RIJIMMY,American serviceman have been dying so that others can be free since before you or I were born.Its what Soldiers,Airmen,Marines and Seamen do.Unfortunately we have to defend the rights of religious fanatics like Terry Jones or the loathsome Westboro Baptist Church.

Bring the troops home.....to little to late for that mantra.We are now forced into finishing what has been started.Time to do things right.

Btw excellent thread title....."Our soldiers are dying".You get the Captain Obvious title for that!

Seen on the back of a pickup on the way home

"War exists so you pussies can be free"
Old 04-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #12
Chesapeake Bill

IMHO Terry Jones is no better than the Westboro bunch. But Jimmy, if you want to start the ovens you go right ahead. Just let me know where we stop?

Bass, as a fellow veteran you said it better than I could. Hats off to you. Finish it right. Cap the oil...with glass.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:00 AM   #13
scottw

Quote:
IMHO Terry Jones is no better than the Westboro bunch. But Jimmy, if you want to start the ovens you go right ahead. Just let me know where we stop?

Bass, as a fellow veteran you said it better than I could. Hats off to you. Finish it right. Cap the oil...with glass.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 AM   #14
Fishpart
Keep The Change

Quote:

Agree, those who haven't served don't always get it....

“It’s not up to the courts to invent new minorities that get special protections,” Antonin Scalia
Old 04-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #15
scottw

Quote:
this has to be one of the STUPEDIST threads I've ever read on this site.
you do have to admit...this part was pretty funny
Old 04-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #16
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpart View Post
Agree, those who haven't served don't always get it....
can you explain what we are doing in Afghanistan for those who don't get it?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #17
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIJIMMY View Post
why stop at terry jones? Send them all so they can be stoned!
Jones should have burned the holy books of all of the major religeons simultaneously.... and then compared the reaction..
Old 04-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #18
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Why...Because RIJ is frustrated and wants the troops to come home...I think its a pretty noble thought myself.

Quote:
he's not arguing that fact....I'm pretty sure he firmly believes the latter part of that statement too.

His point is that we have soldiers dying to give those same rights to non-US citizens who do not want them or have any appreciation of them in the least.

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 04-04-2011 at 06:45 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #19
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Kinda wonder what percentage of U.S. citizens don't want / respect those rights. Terry Jones surely doesn't respect the troops. #*&@#( crackpot.

WRT ChessieBill's post, I'm wondering if maybe we'll reach the point that it isn't so bad to let them have nukes, wall 'em off, and let them glass each other.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #20
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Why...Because RIJ is frustrated and wants the troops to come home...I think its a pretty noble thought myself.

he's not arguing that fact....I'm pretty sure he firmly believes the latter part of that statement too.

His point is that we have soldiers dying to give those same rights to non-US citizens who do not want them or have any appreciation of them in the least.

exactly, we should we be fighting a war, protecting elections, ensuring democracy for these people -Afghans? I respect anyone who served, but that doesnt make you a history expert.
You do realize that our strongest allies are Germany and Japan and you do realize what happened 65 years ago?
Do you thing you can say the same for Afghanistan?
Basswhipe, I think you misunderstood my thread. "These people" in my post meant the Afghans, not Jones.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #21
Chesapeake Bill

There is a pretty interesting book entitled "The Next 100 Years" by George Friedman, president/CEO of STRATFOR, a leading private intelligence organization. In his book, Friedman suggests that the goal is not to win the war (or even the hearts of the people) in the middle east. Rather, he profers an idea that the goal is to ensure instability to prevent the growth of an islamic power. IN general terms the lives lost is a small price (his words not mine) for this instability if it means we will not have to deal with the economic problems or wars that would be attributed to such a formation. Interesting thought given the lack of a realistic exit strategy to date.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #22
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Haven't read that one and have debated on a membership. Stratfor gets things both good and very wrong. But in their defense, crystal balls are pretty hard to come by.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 AM   #23
scottw

at the very least, we're getting the opportunity to try some new apparel options for our military....

"Major Kyndra Rotunda, the executive director of the Military Law and Policy Institute, says that being “encouraged” to do something in the military is tantamount to being “ordered” to do it, putting the servicewomen in a touchy situation.

In an effort to get closer to the local population, American female soldiers stationed in Afghanistan are being encouraged to wear a Muslim headscarf when interacting with civilians. But some question whether the practice constitutes cultural sensitivity or a form of appeasement that is degrading to U.S. soldiers."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hijabs-270x174.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	46127  
Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #24
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
Haven't read that one and have debated on a membership. Stratfor gets things both good and very wrong. But in their defense, crystal balls are pretty hard to come by.
might also be good to read up on those that are influencing our middle east policy and president currently....her husband is also a very interesting character...

April 5, 2011 4:00 A.M.

Samantha Power’s Power
On the ideology of an Obama adviser

A member of the president’s National Security Council who shares Noam Chomsky’s foreign-policy goals? An influential presidential adviser whom 1960s revolutionary Tom Hayden treats as a fellow radical? A White House official who wrote a book aiming to turn an anti-American, anti-Israeli, Marxist-inspired, world-government-loving United Nations bureaucrat into a popular hero? Samantha Power, senior director of multilateral affairs for the National Security Council and perhaps the principal architect of our current intervention in Libya, is all of these things.

These scary-sounding tidbits might be dismissed as isolated “gotchas.” Unfortunately, when we view these radical outcroppings in the full sweep of her life’s work, Samantha Power emerges as a patriot’s nightmare — a woman determined to subordinate America’s national sovereignty to an international order largely controlled by leftist bureaucrats. Superficially, Power’s chief concern is to put a stop to genocide and “crimes against humanity.” More deeply, her goal is to use our shared horror at the worst that human beings can do in order to institute an ever-broadening regime of redistributive transnational governance.

Samantha Power?s Power - Stanley Kurtz - National Review Online

Last edited by scottw; 04-05-2011 at 03:05 PM..
Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #25
Chesapeake Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
They provide an interesting read. Some say they are the preeminent open source intelligence brief around. I'm not so sure. They sure do think highly of their publications...at least they price it that way. Luckily I have access to it through work.

I don't necessarily agree with everything inthe book but he does explain why he reaches the conclusoins that he has and some make sense. His reasoning for the middle east is to prevent any other nation from gaining too much economic advantage.

Ms. Powers is definetly one to watch! A good read as well regardless of what I think about the National Review overall.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:05 AM   #26
scottw

Quote:

Ms. Powers is definetly one to watch! A good read as well regardless of what I think about the National Review overall.
I'm curious if the exclamation point represents enthusiastic applause or wary caution regarding her influence and ideaology ...?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 AM   #27
Chesapeake Bill

Wary caution. After all, she is a politician...they are all suspicious.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #28
scottw

Quote:
Wary caution. After all, she is a politician...they are all suspicious.
that's a relief