Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 08-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
Eric Roach
Big E

Thrashing Pencil Action

Most pencils I make are pseudo-spooks, as I like to walk-the-dog if I can. For a true "thrashing" pencil (back-and-forth slapping with very slow retrieve) is it better to have the hip closer to the end of the lure?

Specifically, I'm looking to build a smallish pencil around the size of the 1 oz gibbs which thrashes easily, and I'd love to hear your feedback on lure shapes.

Thank you,

Eric
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

I had a design I really liked for what youre talking about, they were big though, 10"and 5oz.

I want to make some more this winter with wood and also scale em down to a 6-7" version.

all the weight was in the tail, and about 2' from the end of the plug.

The plug sat almost vertical in the water, but once you started the retrieve, it would thrash on the top, with just the back 5" of the plug in the water, or you could work it slower, but it got the most hits being worked aggresively on the surface.

had a solid low 20lb fish come from a 20ft deep hole and orca the plug out of the water one day I was testing it, still remeber that day very well.

http://striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/...ad.php?t=57948

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
bart
Red Eye Jedi

ProfM makes a killer pencil that is similar in profile to the 2oz Gibbs standard pencil, but it fishes better with a more subtle presentation IMO. Seen some good fish teased up on that plug...
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

check is in the mail Bart

Last edited by ProfessorM; 08-14-2015 at 03:52 PM..

"A beach is a place where a man can feel he's the only soul in the world that's real"
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:41 AM   #5
Charleston
Certified Mass-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post

I thought you said you were broke!
Charleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
numbskull
Oblivious // Grunt, Grunt Master

I think you want the plug to float vertical rather than at 45 degrees.
I think it is the throat of the plug being pulled down that creates the thrashing.
More tail weight and the belly hook a bit back, maybe a bit longer neck would likely do the job.

I still do not believe you can improve on Stan Gibbs pencil design once you get to 1.5 oz and up. His little pencils work differently, probably because they lack the buoyancy to carry practical hook sizes.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
Raven

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:49 PM   #8
stripermaineiac

Eric. Something that I learned about the old school pencils. Instead of 1 weight change it up and go with 2 or 3 with the one closest to the belly hook being the heaviest. This will set a good angle and give you a similar action to the older Gibbs plugs. Casting is affected a little but the action due to the angle the plug sits in the water is much better than 1 just with a heavy tail weight. Makes it a better finess plug to romance the fish when they are hesitant to hit. Old school ideas as casting distance wasn't the primary ideas or enphasis back then. Romance the hit makes for bigger an better fish in hard fishing conditions like calm water or August LOL. Plus keeps plug out of the rocks.Ron
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #9
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I make a 1 oz. pencil that is dynamite!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:13 PM   #10
ProfessorM
Uncle Remus

Got to agree with George Gibbs is the gold standard when it comes to thrashing pencils. Lots of them today are more spookish than thrashing . I use my copy of the Gibbs often , especially away from the canal. Took all my best pencil fish this year on Gibbs copies.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
ProfessorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:08 AM   #11
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
I cut my teeth fishing Gibbs pencils! They are awesome! 1 oz was my favorite but anything to 2 1/2 were the standard!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #12
bart
Red Eye Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorM View Post
By "check" you mean "plug", no? Lol
bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #13
Eric Roach
Big E

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
I think you want the plug to float vertical rather than at 45 degrees. I think it is the throat of the plug being pulled down that creates the thrashing. More tail weight and the belly hook a bit back, maybe a bit longer neck would likely do the job.

I still do not believe you can improve on Stan Gibbs pencil design once you get to 1.5 oz and up. His little pencils work differently, probably because they lack the buoyancy to carry practical hook sizes.
Thanks, George. I do love the castability of the 1 oz, but despite a handful of good catches I find it difficult to work. Those stock belly swivels are heart-breakers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripermaineiac View Post
Eric. Something that I learned about the old school pencils. Instead of 1 weight change it up and go with 2 or 3 with the one closest to the belly hook being the heaviest. This will set a good angle and give you a similar action to the older Gibbs plugs. Casting is affected a little but the action due to the angle the plug sits in the water is much better than 1 just with a heavy tail weight. Makes it a better finess plug to romance the fish when they are hesitant to hit. Old school ideas as casting distance wasn't the primary ideas or enphasis back then. Romance the hit makes for bigger an better fish in hard fishing conditions like calm water or August LOL. Plus keeps plug out of the rocks.Ron
Thanks for the input, Ron. I assume the weight placed further towards the hook would help with the momentum of the back-and-forth motion while being thrashed(?)

Despite the spread, I assume it might help the cast if the lead was placed inline (maybe spaced with a piece of tubular plastic).

[The attached pic still has the majority of the lead weight to the rear of the hip, which is opposite of what you said.]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gibbs Pencil.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	61604  
Eric Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #14
stripermaineiac

They have some nylon bushings at a lot of harware stores that are 1/4 in in diameter and different lengths. good to try as the different sizes and number used makes for some interesting affect on the action. My ist experiment was drilling the belly hook hole deeper than needed and melting lead into it. just have to be carefull drillin an fillin. from your pic you get the idea.
stripermaineiac is offline   Reply With Quote