Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 12-02-2007, 09:13 AM   #1
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

GOOD FREE ANTI VIRUS???

anyone reccomend any good free anti virus programs- i heard someone mentioned one here not long ago , but i can't find it...thanks.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
stripadan
stripadan

antivirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
anyone reccomend any good free anti virus programs- i heard someone mentioned one here not long ago , but i can't find it...thanks.
I have Comcast for my internet service, and they offer McAfee at no charge. Seems to work ok, but I'm basically computer illiterate so who knows.

A tech support person from Dell recommended Avass(sp?). He said he used it and like it better than Norton.
stripadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
Mr. Sandman

Generally most "good" anti virus programs are free for a period then the updating stops after some period. In order for it to be really effective you need to update the list often.

If you just have a single compter I suggest you get something like Mcafee or one of the others and get a multi year subscription. It is cheap when you figure how much time you will waste fixing a problem caused by a virus.

On a similar matter...I have 6-10 machines at home and have a dedicated server machine that handles proxy, firwall, virus, email, spyware and content filtering (for my kids). All thru a slick software solution running on the server, which updates itself every couple hours and sends me an email whenever one of the kids attempt to go to a off limits site or gets a virus, it works better than I could ever hoped for and that fact that it is current and fully automatic has been great. All machines inside don't need to run any virus stuff. It cost me about 150/year and is worth every penny as it protects everything inside the firewall and the outside world only sees 1 IP address. However, while it has worked great now for nealy 10 years the company got bought out now by BlueCoat and is ending this service in July 08 . They make hardware applainces (read plural) that do the same thing for a LOT more money, so now I am in the market to find a entirelly new product. I was wondering what JohnR would suggest for an all-in -one solution?
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
basswipe

Avira's AntiVir Personal Edition Classic.
http://free-av.com/

Best free AV out there.Better than most pay AVs.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:54 PM   #5
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

These days you need a multi layer defense, whether one machine or several. I don't think any "All in One" systems that are totally secure but should be good in conjunction with some of the free/built-in stuff

You NEED:

Firewall: Hardware on the Router Plus the built in Windows Firewall or another operating system firewall

Wireless: MUST BE SECURED

On the Dektop/Laptop:
Anti-Virus: Either a free like Avast / Antivir / Clam Windows or for pay: Trend Micro, Norton, McAfee, Kapersky, etc
Anti-Spyware:
WINDOWS Defender PLUS another Anti-Spyware package
Windows Firewall

For those of you with MACs - at least get the Clam AV for Macs

Map:
INTERNET
|
|

|Cable Modem|
|
|
| |
| |
| |
Software Firewall
Software Anti-Virus
Software Anti-Spam/Malware
| |
Desktop PC Laptop PC

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
basswipe

JohnR's "map" is a great way to set up your computer.

For Windows:
I'm using a wired setup.I've a router after my cable modem.Then Windows Firewall/AntiVir/AdAwareSE/AVG Anti-Spyware/Spyware Blaster/CCleaner(a great program for cleaning up...well crap).All free and will do more than anything you'll pay for.

For Ubuntu Linux:
Router/Firestarter Firewall.Nothing else needed.Clam AV can be used but really isn't necessary.

PS.If using the Firefox browser install the Adblock Plus add-on.Best add-on ever created.
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
Adam_777

avg free is good for just antivirus.You'll need a spyware blocker also.
Adam_777 is offline   Reply With Quote