Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 05-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
JamesJet

Field Dog training on Cape Cod

I have a 1 1/2 year old black lab that is a ball of energy who really needs to blow off steam daily. I have been working him weekends and early mornings before work and he doing fairly well (passed the first leg of AKC JR Hunt test a few weeks ago) but the only areas I know to go to are near my home in Melrose. I will be heading to the cape for most of this week tonight and in general spend a lot of time at the family residence in Harwich.

My question is anyone know where I can run him? Even better if its a a field or has some cover. I know it can get crazy with leash laws etc. As far as swimming him - we are just off Long Pond so I am OK with that but have no idea where to get some land drills in for him.

If anyone out there has any ideas please post (or PM if you don't want to Spot Burn). I will assure you that I will not ruin it for you and if anyone has a dog they need to work as well - let me know - we can set a few things up and I will certainly help out and toss bumpers all day.
Thanks in advance
JamesJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
OLD GOAT
OLDGOAT7205963

I think TOMPSONS field might be a spot to try. Call the Harwich police station to be sure. Maybe on the rte39 side. good luck
OLD GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
stripadan
stripadan

dogs on cape

If you are near Falmouth you can run him at Crane Wildlife Management Area. They have organized field trials there every so often. Stocked with pheasant and quail in season, so pretty decent cover for training. A lot of the Cape is just scrub oak, not the best for dogs unless that's where you hunt them.

Do a search on www.masswildlife.org (fisheries and wildlife website) under where to go for other hunting areas. You can run your dog loose at any of them at any time of year.
stripadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
Slammer223

I second Crane.It's big too.
Slammer223 is offline   Reply With Quote