Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Old 01-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
chefchris401
Chris Blouin

Refacing/painting cabinets ??

My kitchen has solid wood cabinets with this horrible dark brown laminate stick on that’s peeling and breaking off

They’re just all flat, no fancy designs on the doors or units

Is it possible to just peel it all off and sand and paint the cabinets??

Wife wants solid white which would be easy enough to paint in the garage/work area

STORMR Pro Staff Member
chefchris401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Chris, I don't think you are going to be successful with "peeling" the laminate off and will likely be finding particle board underneath. I would suggest looking into replacement doors and drawer fronts. Hopefully the cabinet face frames can be scuffed up enough to hold paint on them.
Maybe get some measurements and counts of what you need and get some quotes... PM Bruce too.

edit
If they are just flat, maybe a sheet or two of 3/4 MDF, cut to size (use a cut sheet) drill for European hinges, paint and install..... A track saw would be good to have access to for the cutting. I have some hangers that fit into the hinge holes for painting them if you want to borrow. Benjamin Moore has a new line of paint that floats out nicely if you don't have a sprayer.

Last edited by nightfighter; 01-18-2018 at 05:59 PM..

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I have done many refacing kitchen jobs. They always involve taking the old doors and drawer fronts off and throwing them away.
Most times we reface the wall cabinet bottoms, base and wall cabinet sides with 1/4" plywood, then reface the face frames with 1/4" solid wood. Those parts as well as the new doors are sprayed in the shop ahead of time ready to go. New hinges, usually new crown molding and sometimes new drawer runners or also drawer boxes. It is a cheaper more affordable way of updating the cabinets as opposed to replacing them, as long as you are ok with the layout. We also add cabinets or modify beforehand= for example shorten the height to fit a taller fridge or Microwave.
We also have just painted cabinets in place then install new painted doors after but that sucks spraying on site. If you are painting in place it may be good for you but spend the time prepping it because that is important and most of the work.

If you want to just buy new doors, it would be best for you rather than trying to deal with the junk you have falling apart. I don't recommend painting laminate doors anyway.
There are a lot of websites you can order doors from and places that sell knock down drawers cheaper than I could but the material for.

Cleaning the doors might work for you but you could buy shaker style doors pretty reasonable.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:03 PM   #4
Slipknot
Super Moderator

Don't use MDF unless it is the waterproof mdf

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:34 AM   #5
puppet

My kitchen..just had paint and I stripped it for the face frames and carcasses. Too much time to be worth the effort. I regret that path compared to a full rebuild.
A full rebuild would have taken a similar amount of time and result in a better product.

I discarded the doors and bought new ones that were unfinished. There are a few companies that do this. At the time it was under 50 dollars a door. If you are interested i can dig up and post the info.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #6
puppet

Another thought...and this is my rookie move. I worked on mt cabinets in place.

If they can be removed..remove them and work on them in the garage or shop. Far less disruptive...plus even if it is just one cabinet you can work out your approach and test solutions without having the kitchen area down.
puppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:45 PM   #7
Ian
Idiot

Keep the uppers in place, remove the lowers.

Replace the doors and drawers, it’ll only cost a couple thousand and you’ll be glad you did it.

Sand everything with 210 grit paper to get good adhesion. Then use Benjamin Moore Advance paint. You can thin it to spray it or roll it on, it levels really nicely. The devil is in the prep: if you screw up the sanding there isn’t a layer of primer or paint you can apply to fix it, so make sure the foundation is solid.

So:
Sand
Prime
Light sand with 300 grit
Prime again
Light sand
Paint
Light sand
Paint
Light sand
Paint

And to reiterate: get new doors and drawer fronts, get them from someone who can match your paint color.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote