Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » StriperTalk!

StriperTalk! All things Striper

Old 02-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
trackah

need reel recomendations

Hi Guys,

Long time fisherman, 99.9% of that has been from a boat. Time is catching up with me and I'm notable to spend as much time as i used to on the boat. Spend my summers in Sandwich so thinking i may try and make up for my lack of fishing by trying to throw some plugs this summer down at the canal.

I've read quite a bit on your forums about getting started and read a couple of great articles i appreciate the time people have taken to get folks like me started.

My wife supported this idea of mine ( I think sh'es hoping i get out of the house) and bought me a very nice ODM rod NDX-115 mod - mod fast 11' rod (my reading here seems to show this may be a little long but beggars cant be choosy) Now i'm looking for a reel to match up to it. I'm thinking of a Saragosa 8000, but not sure i like the newer reels not having a bail spring. What are your thoughts on this real? Any other more appropriate reels? Am i on the right track with an 8000 size reel should i be looking for larger? smaller?

I've pretty much switched all my other spinning gear to braid with 4 or 5 foot leaders I think most of my striper rods are spooled with 65lb, about right or should i drop down?

any and all thoughts are appreciated. I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts and hope to see you around this summer.

Trackah
trackah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:39 PM   #2
redlite

The gossa 8000 is perfect for that setup in canal. Just got buddy to pick a used one up at show on Saturday. Faster retrieve than 10k size. I always recommend u should always close bail manually anyhow when fishing braid or causes loops and layovers on spool which leads to big messes.
May be better options but it gets job done better in canal than my VS s and didn't break the bank. Silky smooth and plenty of drag and power to handle big fish
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
redlite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
Guppy
User

Gossa, luv mine
I don’t fish the canal so maybe that heavy line is needed.. 30-40 ?

That heavy a wt. line would kind of take the suspense out of it for me, me thinks
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:29 AM   #4
Rappin Mikey
My brother is bald

Gossa. I love the ones I have!

seals + plovers =
Rappin Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
zimmy

Daiwa BG 5000 might fit the bill and they are less than half the price. I think they are superb for the cost. You might be able to find info out there on how others have fared with them under canal conditions. How likely are you to have a catastrophic bg fail? I don't know, but I don't think it is exceptionally likely. I have replaced gears in both my saltiga Z and stella sw, so no matter the reel it happens. Are you likely to have a saragossa last more than 2x as long as a BG? Doubt it. If the bg was $250 the saragossa might be the clear choice, but the BG is such a good deal it at least needed to be mentioned.

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:48 PM   #6
zimmy

Also... while it would be nice to see you there in the summer, it is unlikely. No one goes there anymore in the summer. It is too crowded

No, no, no. we’re 30… 30, three zero.
zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:24 PM   #7
trackah

Thank you for all of the input guys. I am leaning towards the gossa, i have few others that I've been using on the boat that have treated me well. I think this will be a pretty good match to the NDX-115 mod - mod fast 11' rod.

Zimmy, i will give the Diawa a look I plan to pick up a reel at the RI show I'm sure both will be there for me to play with.

Thx
Trackah
trackah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #8
t.orlando

Gossa is the go to mid price canal reel. 40# will work....50# most used...65# overkill on a spinner. A Brazilian Rosetta Stone will also be a big help....lol
t.orlando is offline   Reply With Quote