Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post

he deserves some credit for the decrease in demand as a result of his policies being put into place.
huh?

"U.S. oil demand reversed course in dramatic fashion in 2013, as the nation's growth in crude consumption outpaced perennial leader China for the first time since 1999"

"The same upward trend can be seen in 2014. Oil and petroleum products use through April is 1 percent higher than last year, according to EIA. In addition, California—which by itself accounts for 11 percent of the nation's gasoline use—has had nine straight months of higher year-over-year gasoline consumption, according to data from the state board of equalization data."

the reduction in demand was the result of a crappy economy...you remember..the one he inherited...so I guess we can't blame him for the crappy economy but he gets credit for the reduction in demand due to the crappy economy?....doubt the current booming economy and lower oil prices will result in lower demand, good thing we have all those average Joe's driving Volts around...does he get credited/blamed for the higher demand now that his policies have created a booming economy(just ask him) and higher demand?

http://insideclimatenews.org/news/20...tpacing-chinas

American consumption of oil also rose last year, by 390,000 barrels a day, or 2.1 percent, to 18.9 million barrels a day. The agency increased its estimate of American oil use in the final quarter of the year,

"Despite the 2013 increases, oil use in most developed countries remains well below the levels of 2007, the last pre-recession year. The United States is estimated to have used 8.5 percent less oil in 2013 than it did in 2007, while demand is down by about 25 percent in Italy and Spain, European countries that were hard hit by the euro area’s problems. Germany stands out, with 2013 usage equal to that of 2007."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/25/bu...asts.html?_r=0
Old 01-21-2015, 10:16 PM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
huh?

"
"Despite the 2013 increases, oil use in most developed countries remains well below the levels of 2007, the last pre-recession year. The United States is estimated to have used 8.5 percent less oil in 2013 than it did in 2007, while demand is down by about 25 percent in Italy and Spain, European countries that were hard hit by the euro area’s problems. Germany stands out, with 2013 usage equal to that of 2007."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/25/bu...asts.html?_r=0
Yet the chart I posted said that worldwide demand was at an all-time high in 2014. Who knows what to think...
Old 01-22-2015, 05:05 AM   #3
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Yet the chart I posted said that worldwide demand was at an all-time high in 2014. Who knows what to think...
you and Paul are cute, you'd make great room mates

I'm sure it was, it's something we can always expect to hit all-time highs......countries whose demand slumped with the recession are back to previous levels with a few exceptions, developing countries...the slump in demand 2007-now was due to a supply problem(money supply)

I guess we can give O credit for a tick or two in lower demand during that time...for his Cafe standards that don't take effect until 2016 and 2025....for the cash for clunkers program that was a joke we all remember and saving GM and then heavily subsidizing a horribly performing product...the investments like Solyndra and MANY others that didn't quite pan out

.....can we also give him credit for the many ticks up in debt for what we spent on those items?

I like the technology, my next vehicle (looking now for a teenager with a permit) will likely be a Prius or something like that but I don't want the govt picking winners and heavily subsidizing these things as their record had been dismal...particularly with this bunch...thought that was the much hated corporate welfare, I guess it's ok as long a genius progressives are doling it out for their pet projects
Old 01-22-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
Jim in CT

Quote:
.....can we also give him credit for the many ticks up in debt for what we spent on those items?

I like the technology, my next vehicle (looking now for a teenager with a permit) will likely be a Prius or something like that but I don't want the govt picking winners and heavily subsidizing these things as their record had been dismal...particularly with this bunch...thought that was the much hated corporate welfare, I guess it's ok as long a genius progressives are doling it out for their pet projects
"can we also give him credit for the many ticks up in debt for what we spent on those items?"

Hell, yes! Spence would give you a different answer...

"for a teenager with a permit) will likely be a Prius "

Good luck, I'm several years away.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
"can we also give him credit for the many ticks up in debt for what we spent on those items?"

Hell, yes! Spence would give you a different answer...

"for a teenager with a permit) will likely be a Prius "

Good luck, I'm several years away.

Jim, with the $2500 /yr in savings with Obama Care and now the $1,000 on gas
we'll all be able to able to buy a Prius in 10 years, but with all the new domestic
spending programs O is proposing ,maybe a loaf of bread.
Where is Spence anyway?

" Choose Life "
Old 01-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
huh?

" good thing we have all those average Joe's driving Volts around...?_r=0[/url]
Excluding all the Volt owners who got burned to death by their penchant for, you know, spontaneously combusting. That's what I want...to pay $35k for a sedan (instead of $19k for an Accord) which, if I'm lucky enough not to get incinerated in, will need to be re-charged about the same time I get to the end of my driveway. Then I need to spend several grand on a new battery at some point, and we have no idea what the environmental impact is of disposing of all these soon-to-be-dead batteries. All in the name of global warming, which may well not exist, because if Al Gore was right, Fargo ND was supposed to be the world's leading exporter of pineapples and sugar cane by now.