Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 11-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
spence

GAZA

What are the odds they'll come to an agreement? You know Bibi is just itching to roll it over.

Glad to see the US taxpayer investment in the Iron Dome might just be paying off. Not sure why Obama did it considering how much he was supposed to hate the Jews

Iran gets a free pass for supplying the new rockets?

Also this is a big test of Egypt's new leadership.

Lots of moving parts here.

-spence
Old 11-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
They have been warring over in the middle east for centuries.......whats new here?? More importantly......why are we involved?? I couldn't care less.....let them bomb the crap out of each other! How does it affect me??? Its a shame they can't get along and I do not know what its all about but no doubt it has to do with religion???? Whatever!!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
Old 11-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
spence

Has less to do with religion than power.

-spence
Old 11-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
striperman36
Old Guy

no agreement, never has never will be.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
sburnsey931

Can you imagine 500 rockets coming over a 3 day period and they are willing to talk. If Mexico or Cuba did that we'd invade and own the place in 3 days
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburnsey931 View Post
Can you imagine 500 rockets coming over a 3 day period and they are willing to talk. If Mexico or Cuba did that we'd invade and own the place in 3 days
Israel has made huge concessions over the last few years in Gaza and the West Bank. It's not enough, it'll never be enough, the Palestinians will never be satisfied as long as Israel exists.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #7
buckman

I think the Palestinian's might not be around long . You can only poke the dragon so many times before your reduced to ash
Old 11-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Nebe

This situation will never end until they are all dead. When you argue about who's god is better, there will never be a right answer. Zionism and fundamental islamisisim is like gasoline and matches.. POOF!!!!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
When you argue about who's god is better,
Same God....thats the sad part

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 11-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
spence

I actually see this as constructive.

Post Arab Spring it will be events like this that lead to solutions.

-spence
Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
Nebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
Same God....thats the sad part
Allah vs God
Old 11-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Nebe

Maybe I am
Wrong.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Three of largest religions, Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are all based in the belief of 1 god. The 3 religions are then built around 3 central figures and their teachings in relation to that 1 god

Islam=Mohammed (The Divine Prophet)
Christianity=Jesus (The Son of God)
Judaism=Abraham (The Chosen One)

That's kind of simplified....but it all fanned out from there

Last edited by The Dad Fisherman; 11-20-2012 at 06:07 AM..

Old 11-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
JohnnyD

Ugh... Frankly, the only reason I care is because we have a trillion dollar budget deficit yet continue to send $3,000,000,000 annually to Israel.

US Propaganda in support of Israel has brainwashed this country. Stop funding them and let them pay for and enforce their own settlements.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #15
striperman36
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Ugh... Frankly, the only reason I care is because we have a trillion dollar budget deficit yet continue to send $3,000,000,000 annually to Israel.

US Propaganda in support of Israel has brainwashed this country. Stop funding them and let them pay for and enforce their own settlements.
and match that with Eygpt.

Both countries then turn around and buy US armaments
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

NEBE-question? Blatant thread hijacking here...

Nebe do you make blown glass beads. I know you have to blow glass to make anything that you make, but are some of these things beads? The kind that jewlelry is made from.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #17
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
What are the odds they'll come to an agreement? You know Bibi is just itching to roll it over.

Glad to see the US taxpayer investment in the Iron Dome might just be paying off. Not sure why Obama did it considering how much he was supposed to hate the Jews

Iran gets a free pass for supplying the new rockets?

Also this is a big test of Egypt's new leadership.

Lots of moving parts here.

-spence
Iron Dome=beacoup bucks for Raytheon in Massachusetts. $100,00 everytime they shoot one of those missilles at an incoming rocket.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
Iron Dome=beacoup bucks for Raytheon in Massachusetts. $100,00 everytime they shoot one of those missilles at an incoming rocket.
I believe the US investment is around 200M.

-spence
Old 11-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
striperman36
Old Guy

200M US, 63k per round
Old 11-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
JohnnyD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I believe the US investment is around 200M.

-spence
"Iron Dome is not cheap. A single missile battery costs $50 million and a single missile costs $60,000.

Ironically, the Iron Dome system was developed with help from the U.S. In May 2010, the House of Representatives approved a plan to allocate $205 million for it. In July, President Obama announced $70 million in U.S. funding. "This is a program that has been critical in terms of providing security and safety for Israeli families," Obama said. "It is a program that has been tested and has prevented missile strikes inside of Israel.""
Israel's Iron Dome Missile Defense System A Battle-Tested Success - Investors.com

$275,000,000 from the US for Israel's Iron Dome.
$60,000 per missile.

Israel needs to be cut off and forced to pay for their own wars. Same for that corrupt, POS Pakistani government as well.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #21
striperman36
Old Guy

And the corrupt, POS, Aghan warlords
Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #22
Nebe

Quote:
Nebe do you make blown glass beads. I know you have to blow glass to make anything that you make, but are some of these things beads? The kind that jewlelry is made from.

I can, but only in large quantities. Id have to pull a long rod out of a bubble and then cut it up into beads, then polish them in a tumbler.. a lot of work.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #23
scottw

Quote:
The three largest religions, Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are all based in the belief of 1 god. The 3 religions are then built around 3 central figures and their teachings in relation to that 1 god

Islam=Mohammed (The Divine Prophet)
Christianity=Jesus (The Son of God)
Judaism=Abraham (The Chosen One)

That's kind of simplified....but it all fanned out from there
those aren't the three largest religions...
Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 AM   #24
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
those aren't the three largest religions...
Fixed it

1,2, and 12.....Freikin Ball Buster

Old 11-20-2012, 06:18 AM   #25
scottw

Quote:
Fixed it

1,2, and 12.....Freikin Ball Buster
just didn't want the Hindu's, Buddhists and some others gettin' dissed
Old 11-20-2012, 06:20 AM   #26
iamskippy

Wow this is a great thread! Minus the hijack.. sorry frank
Old 11-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #27
scottw

I don't know how much we should or should not spend to defend Israel, I do know that it's simplistic thinking to believe that this is just a matter or warring religions that will never end and that we should just let them shoot it out....if that's the case please explain to me which principle of which religion is being fought over on either side.....in other parts of the world I think we've referred to this as an attempt at ethnic cleansing and were quite appalled, racism?...hate crimes?? I don't think we've seen it so boldly proclaimed by the aggressors elsewhere, yet we shrug as if they're not serious....I agree with Spence, this has little to do with religion but disagree that it is at all "constructive" unless you think that once and for all the issue will be decided by whether or not an Israel still exists after the smoke clears, we know that one side is not going to stop until Israel ceases to exist, and they've stated this time and again....I guess like so many issues here in the US...we're just sick of hearing about it...let the Islamists have their way...

Turkish Prime Minister: ‘Israel Is A Terrorist State’November 19, 2012 12:32 PM

(CBSDC/AP) — A top Turkish official has claimed that Israel is committing acts of terrorism by bombing Hamas targets in Gaza.

Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan told the Eurasian Islamic Council conference in Istanbul that the Jewish state is systematically mass-killing Muslims.

“Those who associate Islam with terrorism close their eyes in the face of mass killing of Muslims, turn their heads from the massacre of children in Gaza,” Erdogan said, according to Reuters. “For this reason, I say that Israel is a terrorist state, and its acts are terrorist acts.”

Egypt PM decries Israeli 'aggression' on Gaza

Egypt's new Islamist president, Mohamed Morsi, viewed by Hamas as a protector, denounced Israel's attacks as "a blatant aggression against humanity".

"I tell them in the name of all the Egyptian people that the Egypt of today is not the Egypt of yesterday and that the Arabs of today are different than the Arabs of yesterday," he said after weekly Muslim prayers at a Cairo mosque.

The Muslim Brotherhood, which brought Morsi to power in an election after the downfall of former President Hosni Mubarak, has called for a "Day of Rage" in Arab capitals on Friday.

Thousands gathered in Egyptian cities to protest, including at the ancient mosque of al-Azhar in Cairo.

Thousands also marched in Lebanon's biggest Palestinian refugee camp, Ain el-Hilweh, and in the country's capital.

Tunisia's foreign minister will visit Gaza on Saturday as part of a delegation to offer support to Hamas and increase Arab pressure on Israel.

Israel must be tried for war crimes: Iran
by: By Mohammad Davari From: AAP November 20, 2012

ISRAEL is solely responsible for the conflict in Gaza and should be tried for "war crimes", Iran says, stressing that the Palestinians must be "armed to defend" themselves.
"Neither Iran nor Hamas seek conflict or war, or aim to endanger the lives of innocent people," foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said in his weekly briefing on Tuesday.

The guilty party is "the criminal Zionist (Israeli) regime, which should be tried for war crimes."

Israeli threats do not work on Lebanon: Mansour November 20, 2012 01:19 PM The Daily Star

Cyprus' foreign minister Erato Kozakou-Marcoullis, right, and her Lebanese counterpart Adnan Mansour, speaks to the media during a press conference after their meeting at foreign ministry in divided Nicosia, Cyprus, Friday, Nov. 25, 2011. (AP Photo/Petros Karadjias)

BEIRUT: Lebanon will face an Israeli attack with “appropriate means,”

Foreign Minister Adnan Mansour said Tuesday, adding that his trip to Gaza along with an Arab delegation is aimed at showing solidarity with the Palestinians.

“I affirm that Lebanon will face [an Israeli attack] via the appropriate means and Israel knows this very well,” Mansour told reporters at the Rafik Hariri International Airport.

"The Israeli threats are always there for Lebanon and Israel knows very well that such threats don't work in the face of Lebanon,” he added.

His comments came in response to a question about whether Israel would attack Lebanon after the Army discovered two rockets Monday set to be launched at the Jewish State near the occupied Kfar Shuba Hills.

Hamas leader on truce prospects: "Maybe never"

After years of existing as an international pariah - with Syria and Iran as its primary allies - Hamas has been emboldened by the support it now receives from key regional powers such as Egypt, Turkey and Qatar.

Meshaal warned that the Middle East has changed with the Arab Spring, and he called on Muslim countries to stand together against Israel.

Asked by CBS News if Hamas wants peace with Israel, Meshaal responded with a message for the United States:

"If God is willing, the American people will wake up and realize that it will benefit them to support the 350 million Arabs, not Israel, to be with the 1.5 billion Muslims and not Netanyahu's gangs ... Don't reverse the picture. The killer should offer this peace, not the victim."

Last edited by scottw; 11-20-2012 at 07:54 AM..
Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #28
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
just didn't want the Hindu's, Buddhists and some others gettin' dissed
I'm not scared of them....they wouldn't hurt a fly

Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #29
scottw

Quote:
I'm not scared of them....they wouldn't hurt a fly
just spit coffee everywhere...thanks

did something that I rarely do which was watch the news on tv this morning, caught a few minutes of CBS...the conslusion reached was that each side needed to get something that they wanted in order for the hostilities to end...for the Israeli's that was an end to the shelling...for Hamas, it was an end to Israel targeting their top officials (who are planning and ordering the shelling)....

"An Israeli airstrike killed a senior militant in Gaza Monday as Hamas fighters fired hundreds of rockets at Israel -- but both sides say its up to the other to end the fighting"

think about that

Last edited by scottw; 11-20-2012 at 07:46 AM..
Old 11-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #30
spence

Recent analysis suggests the Gaza operation is simply a test before the Iran air strike on nuke facilities.

So Iran has been sneaking long-rang rockets into Gaza to use Hamas in retaliatory strikes if Israel attacks...so you preempt by removing Hamas leadership and said rockets. Then attack Iran in self defense.

Additionally you test new Egyptian leadership, so far Egypt is acting pretty rational, they just can't (or don't want to) control the Sinai.

The US has invested 200M in Iron Dome and I believe Congress is prepared to spend another 600M on the project over the next several years.

Big question, does Egypt want to continue to receive US aid?

-spence