Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Computers

Computers Sidetrack to Computers, Questions on your home computer? Posting just for registered members....

Old 10-22-2008, 11:26 AM   #1
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

HTPC - WindowsXp or Linux?

Which O/S would you go with?

Windows i know and can probably set it up in no time. Linux i'm a novice and don't want to spend an inordinate amount of time getting this thing to work...but if it is the better choice I'd be willing to make the Sacrifice

Any Pros vs Cons on the the two that you can think of?

What are your thoughts...let keep it Civil

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
kenyee

Download mythdora, mythbuntu, or knoppmyth. Install it to your hard drive (it's a simple install) and give it a try for a weekend to see if the hardware you bought has any issues. If it's not your bag, format the drive and install XP.

The main issue will be playback. nVidia and ATI drivers only support HD-DVD playback in their Windows drivers AFAIK...
kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

I just downloaded Ubuntu and MythTV so these are already to go in an all in one package...interesting

Old 10-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
MrHunters
What was that!?!

this is interesting. last i played with myth was on fedora core 3 and it was a big pain to get things all working properly if you don't know what your doing.

im interested.
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Its looking like the Tuner card I got might not be too Linux Friendly....still gonna try the MythBuntu and see what happens though.....I'm all about free

Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
kenyee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHunters View Post
this is interesting. last i played with myth was on fedora core 3 and it was a big pain to get things all working properly if you don't know what your doing.
That's what these distributions are about...they have preinstalled myth setups, so they essentially copy themselves to your hard drive all set up already. Even doing it in a raw Debian install is fairly easy now...point at the debian-multimedia repo that a nice guy maintains myth on, install it and you're pretty much set, though it still uses MySQL instead of PostgreSQL which I think is a mistake

The main issue is getting a tuner card that works...that's why I suggested two specific tuners (fusionhdtv and hdhomerun) to TDF in the previous thread...I know those work because I'm using them...
kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
basswipe

TDF wait on Ubuntu till the 30th of this month.The latest version,8.10 will be released.Many major improvements over Hardy Heron(8.04).

I post this at my own peril considering how I was so badly bashed by some last time I posted something about Linux.

Last edited by basswipe; 10-22-2008 at 06:35 PM..
basswipe is offline   Reply With Quote