Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 01-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
Jim in CT

Ford investing in Michigan instead of moving jobs to Mexico

I don't like Trump as a person, not in the least. But the man is having an economic impact.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...-policies.html

From the article...CEO Mark Fields, speaking at an event at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant, said the policies that Trump “and the new Congress have indicated they will pursue” were vital to the company’s decision.

“We believe these tax and regulatory reforms are necessary to boost U.S. competitiveness,” Fields said.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #2
Raven

there should be a taco truck on every street corner

well.... one that sells taco's and another one that sells weed
Old 01-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #3
Nebe

Plus one to Trump.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 01-04-2017, 05:26 AM   #4
wdmso

Plus 1 then he goes after GM on twitter but not the whole story

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
General Motors is sending Mexican made model of Chevy Cruze to U.S. car dealers-tax free across border. Make in U.S.A.or pay big border tax!
7:30 AM - 3 Jan 2017

As it turns out, Chevrolet Cruze sedans sold in the U.S. aren't made in Mexico, but in Ohio.

Back to Zero

http://theweek.com/speedreads/670676...ints-made-ohio
Old 01-04-2017, 06:42 AM   #5
fishbones

Not sure what's wrong with the tweet? He specified it was a Chevy Cruze "model", which is true. The hatchback is made in Mexico and sold in the U.S. You must really have quite the hard on for the president elect to look for so many reasons to post negatives about him.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:49 AM   #6
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
You must really have quite the hard on for the president elect to look for so many reasons to post negatives about him.
I guess I would say you must have quite the hard on for the President elect to ignore his constant lies.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #7
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
I guess I would say you must have quite the hard on for the President elect to ignore his constant lies.
Nice try, Paul. Don't be ignorant and throw out a comment like that that you can't back up. Please show where I ignored one lie from Trump.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-04-2017, 08:13 AM   #8
PaulS

Quote:
Nice try, Paul. Don't be ignorant and throw out a comment like that that you can't back up. Please show where I ignored one lie from Trump.
All Chevrolet Cruze sedans sold in the U.S. are built in GM's assembly plant in Lordstown, Ohio," the company said in a statement sent to media outlets. "GM builds the Chevrolet Cruze hatchback for global markets in Mexico, with a small number sold in the U.S."

Of the 190,000 Cruzes sold in the US last year, 4,500 were hatchbacks made in Mexico.

Trump constantly lies and you're either ignorant (how is that?) or blind to not see that. I haven't seen any posts of your's discussing his constant lieing. Instead you have to insult someone for pointing out how he constantly lies.

Does this mean you are out of your lurking stage?
Old 01-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #9
fishbones

Quote:
Trump constantly lies and you're either ignorant (how is that?) or blind to not see that. I haven't seen any posts of your's discussing his constant lieing. Instead you have to insult someone for pointing out how he constantly lies.

Does this mean you are out of your lurking stage?
Could you please point out where I ever posted anything about him not being a liar? I'm not a Trump apologist, but in this case I don't see where he lied about the vehicles being made in Mexico and sold in the US?

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
Old 01-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #10
fishbones

And no, I'm still lurking. Too busy to post a lot these days but I do check out the site almost every day. I hope everything is well with you, Paul.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #11
PaulS

Quote:
Could you please point out where I ever posted anything about him not being a liar?no, you didn't claim he wasn't a liar - nor did you ever comment on his lies. I'm not a Trump apologist, but in this case I don't see where he lied about the vehicles being made in Mexico and sold in the US?
He constantly mistates the facts. As I posted above 4,500 hatchbacks out of 190,000 Cruze sold in the US where made in Mexico.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #12
fishbones

Again, I am not saying that Trump doesn't lie. I think he lies a lot and also stretches the truth, which all politicians do. In this case, Chevy is selling cars in the US that were manufactured in Mexico and they're not paying the tax on them. It doesn't really matter if it's 1 million cars or 10 cars.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #13
Jim in CT

Here is a video of the Ford CEO discussing the investment in Michigan. He says it will create 700 jobs.

I refer you to the 1:20 mark, where he says this:

"One of the factors that we’re looking at is a more positive U.S. manufacturing business environment under President-elect Trump and some of the pro-growth policies he said he’s going to pursue. And so this is a vote of confidence"

I don't like Trump as a person, I didn't like Obama as a person. Some of you, I get the impression that if Trump said "two plus two equals four", you would proclaim he was wrong.

Trump is an azz. But he deserves a bit of credit for this investment in a place that desperately needs it. Did it only happen because of Trump? No.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #14
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post

Some of you, I get the impression that if Trump said "two plus two equals four", you would proclaim he was wrong.

And some here deny his lies even when it is pointed out or say "what does it matter".

He lied again when he just said that an intelligence briefing was delayed from Tues to Friday. He also said it was bc "perhaps more time needed to build a case. Very Strange!"

"A spokesman for the director of national intelligence declined to comment on Mr. Trump’s claim. Senior administration officials disputed it, saying that no meeting had been scheduled for Tuesday.

I never thought we would see an argument bt America's intelligence organ. and a murderous foreign dictaror in which the American President (elect) sides with the dictator.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #15
detbuch

Quote:
And some here deny his lies even when it is pointed out or say "what does it matter".

He lied again when he just said that an intelligence briefing was delayed from Tues to Friday. He also said it was bc "perhaps more time needed to build a case. Very Strange!"

"A spokesman for the director of national intelligence declined to comment on Mr. Trump’s claim. Senior administration officials disputed it, saying that no meeting had been scheduled for Tuesday.

I never thought we would see an argument bt America's intelligence organ. and a murderous foreign dictaror in which the American President (elect) sides with the dictator.
Whatever happened to the axiom about how can you tell when a politician is lying--when his lips move?

Why are we automatically assuming that Trump is lying not that the administration or its "organ" isn't? Has the CIA always told us the truth? Has this, or any other, administration always told us the truth?

I think that its been a long, long, time since we've been told the truth about how we are governed. I heard Schumer's statement yesterday about how the Dems were going to hold Trump's feet to the fire. It was filled with a steady stream, from beginning to end, with blatant BS, threats, lies, exaggerations, stretching, and gross, typical, political speechifying.

It was disgusting. But to be expected. I could not fault him for any of it. He was working his base. Protecting his turf. Trying to influence for the next election. Creating a mirage for the media to disseminate which can influence the "masses."

That's what politicians do when their lips move.

Trump has, no doubt, witnessed the technique of political lip-moving for a long time. Now that Trump, not even one of our beloved politicians, is mastering the method, taking it as you put it, to another level, it's all that seems to matter. There's not even a discussion about policies. At most, there was the claim that he did not have any. Now the claim is that he's abandoning them (the ones he didn't have).

Maybe if Trump can keep the media focused on his "lies," he can sneak some "policies" through the swamp we call the political process.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:53 PM   #16
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
I'm not a politics guy. But you supported Hillary and she has been telling those lies for 30+ years. Even under oath. So if that was ok. TRUMP has a long way to go to catch up. Fair is fair.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #17
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish View Post
I'm not a politics guy. But you supported Hillary and she has been telling those lies for 30+ years. Even under oath. So if that was ok. TRUMP has a long way to go to catch up. Fair is fair.
Post up some of those lies and I'll post up lies by Trump and we can see who has more.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:36 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Post up some of those lies and I'll post up lies by Trump and we can see who has more.
"Post up some of those lies "

Really? You have no idea what he's referring to?

Paul, honesty, character, and integrity were totally absent from the ballot last year. If it makes you feel better to know that you can find a website that gives Trump a worse "liar liar pants on fire" rating than she gets, good for you.

They are both disgusting.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #19
PaulS

Quote:
"Post up some of those lies "

Really? You have no idea what he's referring to?

Paul, honesty, character, and integrity were totally absent from the ballot last year. If it makes you feel better to know that you can find a website that gives Trump a worse "liar liar pants on fire" rating than she gets, good for you.

They are both disgusting.
I have an idea what Tom is refering to. Taking her lies over 30 years and comparing them to his lies over 12 months (and his being Pres. elect.) and trying to say she lies more is crazy. And I don't think her lies where "ok". I never defended her with the emails. Almost every tweet he makes is never 100% accurate if he tries stating a fact.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #20
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
30 years worth he has a long way to go. It amazes me how many people forget about all the crap the Clintons have done. And it's like no big deal. But realistically we all know when Billary's lips are moving she is lying.

Was just poking fun and stirring the pot a little But obviously struck a nerve. I'm more worried about spring fishing than politics.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #21
Sea Dangles

Never mind spring, bring on some offshore. I don't know why you guys stoop to the level of nonsense that some of the fools on here spill. It is truly baby talk from the sour grapes brigade. Nebe and Jim will at least swallow their pride and admit it is good for USA regardless of their disdain for the president elect. That used to be called being a bigger man. I truly believe the knot will stay in some members panties regardless of anything positive coming from D.C.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #22
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Nebe and Jim will at least swallow their pride and admit it is good for USA regardless of their disdain for the president elect. That used to be called being a bigger man. I truly believe the knot will stay in some members panties regardless of anything positive coming from D.C.
The 700 jobs is fantastic for those families and the community. Since Trump has enacted no policy it is hard to give credit to anyone other than the bigger economics of the situation. I also question the corporate wellfare that is being (potentially) promised a la carrier. We will see. He promised jobs, 700 is a start.

As far as the knot, there was one there over the last 8 years in exactly the opposite direction.

Bryan

Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&
"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-04-2017, 04:25 PM   #23
Sea Dangles

Bryan, like it or knot,we are all heading in the same direction.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:30 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
The 700 jobs is fantastic for those families and the community. Since Trump has enacted no policy it is hard to give credit to anyone other than the bigger economics of the situation. I also question the corporate wellfare that is being (potentially) promised a la carrier. We will see. He promised jobs, 700 is a start.

As far as the knot, there was one there over the last 8 years in exactly the opposite direction.
"Since Trump has enacted no policy it is hard to give credit to anyone other than the bigger economics of the situation."

That's true in a literal sense, but the CEO of Ford said the decision to invest in Michigan, was in part, due to anticipated improved manufacturing climate that Trump will likely pursue.

To put it another way...you think the DJIA would be flirting with 20,000 if Hilary won the election? Come on...

"I also question the corporate wellfare that is being (potentially) promised a la carrier"

That is a state issue. The tax breaks were offered by the state of Indiana. Trump also likely threatened them with tariffs, but that threat wasn't unique to Carrier.

I don't like the feds, or the states for that matter, picking individual winners and losers. I didn't like it when Obama did it, and I don't like it now.

"As far as the knot, there was one there over the last 8 years in exactly the opposite direction"

Not like this. There weren't massive protests before Obama got sworn in 8 years ago. Obviously Trump is different, he is more overtly offensive and obnoxious, in a sophomoric kind of way. He's like the idiot in high school who thinks that fart jokes are the funniest thing ever. Obama's offensiveness was a bit deeper beneath the surface, and a bit more nuanced I guess, but not much.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #25
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
"Since Trump has enacted no policy it is hard to give credit to anyone other than the bigger economics of the situation."

That's true in a literal sense, but the CEO of Ford said the decision to invest in Michigan, was in part, due to anticipated improved manufacturing climate that Trump will likely pursue.

"As far as the knot, there was one there over the last 8 years in exactly the opposite direction"

Not like this. There weren't massive protests before Obama got sworn in 8 years ago. Obviously Trump is different, he is more overtly offensive and obnoxious, in a sophomoric kind of way. He's like the idiot in high school who thinks that fart jokes are the funniest thing ever. Obama's offensiveness was a bit deeper beneath the surface, and a bit more nuanced I guess, but not much.
No, there was widespread racism and the whole northern thing... *

The Dow has done pretty well under Obama... We will see what the next couple of years brings

*This does not imply everyone who disagrees with Obama or criticized him was or is a racist..

Bryan

"For once I agree with Spence. UGH. I just hope I don't get the urge to go start buying armani suits to wear in my shop"
Old 01-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #26
Sea Dangles

Since when are fart jokes not hilarious?
Old 01-04-2017, 06:16 PM   #27
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GattaFish;1114712
Was just poking fun and stirring the pot a little But obviously struck a nerve. I'm more worried about spring fishing than politics.
[size=1
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device[/size]
No nerves at all. Things just come across differently online. I still love you Tom.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:52 PM   #28
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

Quote:
No nerves at all. Things just come across differently online. I still love you Tom.

Lol. Thanks Paul.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #29
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIROCKHOUND View Post
No, there was widespread racism and the whole northern thing... *

The Dow has done pretty well under Obama... We will see what the next couple of years brings

*This does not imply everyone who disagrees with Obama or criticized him was or is a racist..
"No, there was widespread racism and the whole northern thing"

Yawn. Your evidence of that is what, exactly? Your side really, really needs to put that card away until there's actual racism to eradicate.

"The Dow has done pretty well under Obama"

Yes, it did. However, you didn't answer the question I asked, so I will repeat it. Do you seriously think the Dow would be where it is, if Hilary had won? Any chance you can answer that, without patting Obama on the back?

"We will see what the next couple of years brings"

we are ripe for a recession.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:09 PM   #30
RIROCKHOUND
Also known as OAK

Quote:
"No, there was widespread racism and the whole northern thing"

Yawn. Your evidence of that is what, exactly? Your side really, really needs to put that card away until there's actual racism to eradicate.

"The Dow has done pretty well under Obama"

Yes, it did. However, you didn't answer the question I asked, so I will repeat it. Do you seriously think the Dow would be where it is, if Hilary had won? Any chance you can answer that, without patting Obama on the back?

"We will see what the next couple of years brings"

we are ripe for a recession.
I think it is likely the Dow would be somewhere still around 18000 if she won. Missed that question on my phone..

Bryan