Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating Ľ Main Forum Ľ Boat Fishing & Boating

Boat Fishing & Boating A new forum at Striped-Bass.com for those fishing from boats and for boating in general

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2019, 05:52 AM   #1
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,844
Got me a new trailer

Went from roller to bunks, not sure if Iím liking the bunks over roller just yet...

The down side is the winch post is further back from the truck and I canít jump from the tailgate to the boat at my local ramp and power off, no float until your off the trailer.....

Got the tongue weight at a little below 10%....

A1B6F231-162A-4FA8-99F7-014C4EA11C78.jpeg
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:13 AM   #2
Rmarsh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Freetown MA
Posts: 910
Nice! I've been trailer shopping for a while...like to pull the trigger before something major breaks...lots of rust. Trailer guy said a little rust is okay and to test the rusted areas for weakness by tapping with a hammer.
I launch and load solo...never had any problems with the bunk style. Back down the ramp until my fenders are almost submerged....with just a slight push boat floats and I tie her off.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:22 AM   #3
Rockfish9
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Rockfish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Reading Mass/Newburyport/merrimack river
Posts: 3,270
Sweet, I know you were at wits end with the old one. ..I've had the same trailer (and boat) since 1980,the only thing original is the frame, the trailer is a 1977, they just don't make stuff that rugged anymore... this trailer ought to last you a while..
Hope the bunks work out, I never cared for them, with rollers and a power winch if I can get the wheels wet, I can launch..
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:29 AM   #4
wdmso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Somerset MA
Posts: 3,428
Your going to need taller boots
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
wdmso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #5
Cool Beans
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Cool Beans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Your going to need taller boots
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Exactly!!!!! Mine's also a bunk trailer.

Flip Flops and Daisey Duke's when water temp is warm,
but when the water is colder I am always filling up a boot or two.. and it is such a pain in the butt draining them without draining water right up my pant leg to mid thigh when I bend that foot up to drain it.
Cool Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #6
Poncho
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Poncho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NBPT
Posts: 402
I have a bunk trailer for my fresh water boat. I put on hip boots get right in and launch most effective way to do it save the embarrassment of balancing on trailer trying to push the boat off. Gup by the way Iím in your neck of the woods for the week if you wanna grab a beer
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Poncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
piemma
Very Grumpy bay man
iTrader: (0)
 
piemma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 8,948
Blog Entries: 2
Ray, my boat , same one you have was always on bunks. No issues other than I always wore waders to launch.

I just kept an old pair of Graylites in the truck.

No boat, back in the suds.
piemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #8
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,844
I came up with with a length of line with a loop on each end (still testing lengths)
One end to bow cleat the other over winch mast, back down ramp, fenders just about under, slam break on, she slides off enough to float, line tightens...

As long as I can get close enough to the docks Iíll be slippin and slidin coming and going.. LOL

When thereís no dock,,, Iím wet... :-(
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:58 AM   #9
Rmarsh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Freetown MA
Posts: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I came up with with a length of line with a loop on each end (still testing lengths)
One end to bow cleat the other over winch mast, back down ramp, fenders just about under, slam break on, she slides off enough to float, line tightens...

As long as I can get close enough to the docks Iíll be slippin and slidin coming and going.. LOL

When thereís no dock,,, Iím wet... :-(

I use that same setup....rope from the winch post to sampson post on the bow...works fine. I wear self draining water shoes instead of boots for when i need to enter the water.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:49 AM   #10
Raider Ronnie
www.blackhullcharters.com
iTrader: (0)
 
Raider Ronnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: On my boat
Posts: 9,259
Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
What did you buy, where & how much $
Guy I work with is looking to replace his.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #11
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
What did you buy, where & how much $
Guy I work with is looking to replace his.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
I went with the least $ I could find, boats long in the tooth and doesnít make sense to me to spend more.. $2900...

3600 lb. single axle bunk aluminum frame load rite 5 Starr, Atlantic Marine Wareham....

Really nice traveling and not worrying about a wheel falling off LOL
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:17 PM   #12
Ian
Idiot
iTrader: (0)
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I went with the least $ I could find, boats long in the tooth and doesnít make sense to me to spend more.. $2900...

3600 lb. single axle bunk aluminum frame load rite 5 Starr, Atlantic Marine Wareham....

Really nice traveling and not worrying about a wheel falling off LOL
Not new, but I know what you mean... I finally have a trailer I trust this year after replacing the brakes and it makes towing a whole different experience. If only they could figure out a way to make going over the Bourne Bridge less stressful
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #13
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Not new, but I know what you mean... I finally have a trailer I trust this year after replacing the brakes and it makes towing a whole different experience. If only they could figure out a way to make going over the Bourne Bridge less stressful
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Put your hazard lights on and go right down the middle... when the horns start to blow just stick the bird right out of the window.. when your in the middle like that the BMW’s from Connecticut trying to pass can’t miss it....

Joking CT
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:00 AM   #14
Ian
Idiot
iTrader: (0)
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
Put your hazard lights on and go right down the middle... when the horns start to blow just stick the bird right out of the window.. when your in the middle like that the BMWís from Connecticut trying to pass canít miss it....

Joking CT
Iíve had good luck most years with people respecting the area next to the boat. This year I got a guy who decided to ride the inside margin of the left lane. I almost clipped him a dozen times going 15 mph on Saturday.

Now this wind just needs to lay down :/

With regards to the trailer, what made you go single vs double axle? I have to assume your boat is near the rated capacity of that axle?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #15
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Iíve had good luck most years with people respecting the area next to the boat. This year I got a guy who decided to ride the inside margin of the left lane. I almost clipped him a dozen times going 15 mph on Saturday.

Now this wind just needs to lay down :/

With regards to the trailer, what made you go single vs double axle? I have to assume your boat is near the rated capacity of that axle?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
The boats 31 - 32 hundred pounds with a full tank,,, this 3600 # caries it just fine,,, plus short money...... the tires where sticking up through the fenders on the old one...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #16
Ian
Idiot
iTrader: (0)
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
The boats 31 - 32 hundred pounds with a full tank,,, this 3600 # caries it just fine,,, plus short money...... the tires where sticking up through the fenders on the old one...
Makes sense, good to hear someone who was smart enough to cut their losses and go new
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:55 AM   #17
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 3,844
Hereís one
After going out for din din the other night we goes for a ride, stopped by a local ramp and thereís this guy with a young boy working on a trailer, hub on his tailgate banging out races and all that stuff.. :-(

Felt bad for the guy but figures nothing I could do to help. After leaving I gets the idea to give him my old trailer if it would help. Drives back to the ramp give him my cell and says if youíre interested give a call... he calls next day after a double shift fire department and stops by , leaves with the trailer... all good

Gave him the registration to help with his getting a plate.. he gets home two towns away before looking at it and noticed my last name,,, he txt back and wanted to know if i knew Mike and Cathy,,, I says yes itís my son, heís there next door NEIGHBOR!

Go figure:-)
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:59 AM   #18
Rockfish9
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Rockfish9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Reading Mass/Newburyport/merrimack river
Posts: 3,270
Small world..kill 2 birds with one stone,you help someone who obviously needs help, and you get rid of the trailer.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com