Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

     

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container
 

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2019, 09:43 PM   #1
nightfighter
Seldom Seen
iTrader: (0)
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,989
Spray foam insullation cost

Anyone done this lately?
I am considering having the roof deck of attic sprayed with open cell. Adjusting for cathedral ceilings, I will propose a number of 1200 sq ft and a 240 sq ft gable end wall. Estimate came in at $5000.... I was expecting maybe 3500. And salesman knows I am in the trades.... Thoughts?

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:34 PM   #2
Pete F.
Master tråd morder
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: vt
Posts: 7,359
We do closed cell for around.90 a board foot
Open cell cost should be around half as is r value
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Pete F. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
nightfighter
Seldom Seen
iTrader: (0)
 
nightfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,989
Two day job, well maybe one and a half... $3900 cash price. Very happy. Immediate difference, most likely because we aren't having drafts suck heat out of different areas of the house, especially when its windy. Much quieter too. They buried the rafters so I am sure I got closer to 10-12" when I paid for 8"
Photo from end of day one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insulation.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	257.4 KB
ID:	66693  

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 07:37 AM   #4
Guppy
User
iTrader: (0)
 
Guppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 4,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Two day job, well maybe one and a half... $3900 cash price. Very happy. Immediate difference, most likely because we aren't having drafts suck heat out of different areas of the house, especially when its windy. Much quieter too. They buried the rafters so I am sure I got closer to 10-12" when I paid for 8"
Photo from end of day one.
Lookin good...
How’s the knee?
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
spence
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
spence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: RI
Posts: 19,635
I need to get someone to insulate the sills down in the cellar.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #6
Sea Dangles
Registered User
iTrader: (0)
 
Sea Dangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 8,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfighter View Post
Two day job, well maybe one and a half... $3900 cash price. Very happy. Immediate difference, most likely because we aren't having drafts suck heat out of different areas of the house, especially when its windy. Much quieter too. They buried the rafters so I am sure I got closer to 10-12" when I paid for 8"
Photo from end of day one.
Hopefully this will not prevent any venting that may have been buried.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:55 PM   #7
Ian
Idiot
iTrader: (0)
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Glastonbury, CT
Posts: 2,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Hopefully this will not prevent any venting that may have been buried.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
When I did mine at our last house, the guys sealed all the vents (ridge, eave and gable) and basically said that attic space just became part of the conditioned space in my house.

If I were to do it again, I’d do closed cell in the floors, open in the roof.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device

The artist formerly known as Scratch59.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
bloocrab
Callinectes sapidus
iTrader: (0)
 
bloocrab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,039
With all these new tight builds and old builds becoming tighter with foam, I fear we're heading back into the mold'en days of old.
Not many people invest in the required exhaust fans to remove moisture from a house that is no longer vented.

I argue with the Mrs. as she doesn't understand why I leave the bathroom fans running longer than SHE THINKS I should... I should just put them on timers on days that she's working... ... she keeps closing them out of habit.

...
bloocrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:42 PM   #9
trevier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloocrab View Post
With all these new tight builds and old builds becoming tighter with foam, I fear we're heading back into the mold'en days of old.
Not many people invest in the required exhaust fans to remove moisture from a house that is no longer vented.

I argue with the Mrs. as she doesn't understand why I leave the bathroom fans running longer than SHE THINKS I should... I should just put them on timers on days that she's working... ... she keeps closing them out of habit.
all of my bath remodel fans are at least 110cfm and all of em are on timers. My customers love this idea.
trevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Please use all necessary and proper safety precautions. STAY SAFE Striper Talk Forums
Copyright 1998-20012 Striped-Bass.com