Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-18-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Nebe

Yes. It has been my observation that normal liberals are far more open minded than conservatives. Case in point - gay marriage. Racial equality. Etc. liberals are far more open to the views of people who are not like them.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebe View Post
Yes. It has been my observation that normal liberals are far more open minded than conservatives. Case in point - gay marriage. Racial equality. Etc. liberals are far more open to the views of people who are not like them.
You have a valid point on the gay marriage thing.

But you are doing exactly what I stated that liberals do...you are saying that liberal positions represent a more open-minded ideology than the conservative positions.

Nebe, how does abortion fit into your narrative that liberals are more open-mined and inclusive? Slaughter the voiceless baby if the mom decides they are inconvenient? yes, that just reeks of open-mindedness and inclusion, doesn't it?

I conceded (and actually stated before you did) that your side had a point on gay marriage. Perhaps yuo can show me the same courtesy here...

"liberals are far more open to the views of people who are not like them"

Like that professor at Columbia, who tried to incinerate those who disagreed with her?

Nebe, do you watch the news? Do you see what happens on college campuses when conservatives try to express their opinions? Did you read my post, where I stated the fact that liberals claim that many conservative positions (liek life and fiscal responsibility) represent hate and intolerance? That's open-minded to you?

It seems to me, your understanding of conservatives is at least as flawed as my understanding of liberals.

You say that conservatives love the military because we like being told what to do? That's ridiculous and insulting to anyone who has served. you think people like getting awakened at 5 AM and and told to go for a run, or to scrub a public toilet? No one likes that. People join the military, because they feel called to participate in a a selfless, valuable, necessary, dangerous, public service. For you to belittle that, and say vets join the military because we cannot think for ourselves, is dismissive.

Same thing on religion...catholics don't go to church because we need to be told what to do. I'm not anti-abortion because my church tells me to be. You could not be more wrong...on the contrary, I am catholic because they agree with my pro-life stance.

nebe, if your premise was true, then you must assume that if the pope said abortion was OK, that all Catholics would be pro-choice. Not even close. If and when the Catholic church supports abortion, I leave the church and find another one.

I missed that in my first read of your post. That was incredibly wrong-headed. And while I bet you didn't mean to be insulting, it was deeply offensive.

I'm a vet. I can't believe you would explicitly state that we love the military (and I did love it) because I am a simpleton who couldn't feed or dress myself unless my commanding officer told me how to do it.

I was a Marine Corps officer. I had to think on my feet, sometimes in tough situations, every single day. I've been in the military, and I've been in a competitive college. I could make a very compelling argument that the military can be better place to learn to think for yourself than college, where students are often asked simply to regurgitate.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
JohnnyD

Quote:
Liberals are capable of independent thought and can see the big picture and separate the good from the bad and weigh their judgements. Liberals are mostly very educated and are in carreers that use their creative minds.
Conservatives tend to be more rigid in their thought process, are very good at being told what rules work and they follow them. That's why conservatives love religion and the military.
Both liberals and conservatives are nut jobs plucked from opposite sides of the same tree.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Nebe

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go to work. A job that I would describe as being a professional artist. A job that required me to think freely, creatively, and a job that requires me to make beautiful work to improve the lives of people who choose to purchase it. I'm a social liberal, fiscal conservative believe it or not. I'm able to see what the definitions of or constitution means in regards to personal equality and freedom for all..
I could sit here on my iPad all day and go back and forth with you about this stuff but it serves no gain for either of us. When I see something that I can't understand I do t feel the need to completely figure it out. The Columbia thing..I don't need to understand it. If my son wanted to go there, I'd say no. End of story. Life's too short. I learned this over quickly seeing the lies we were being told over the war of Iraq. I'm smart enough to spot a lie faster than most and I was highly vocal about it here... Didn't solve a single problem.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
Jim in CT

Quote:
I'm able to see what the definitions of or constitution means in regards to personal equality and freedom for all..
Not for the 4,000 unborn who are slaughetred every day. Good luck reconciling your stated position about personal equality and freedom for all, with the social liberal stance that abortion isn't a violation of what you claim to embrace.

If you are a social liberal, are you in favor of affirmative action? If so, how does discriminating against a white person, show that you understand the constitutional rights of that person?

You can't have it both ways. You can't say "I am a liberal and therefore respect everyone", and then say "people join the military becauise they couldn't figure out how to tie their shoes if their commander didn't tell them".

Can't have it both ways.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
Nebe

Sorry if I offended you. I was just trying to point out that there are more conservatives in the military and who follow religion. Both military and religious beliefs no matter what the religion are about living and following rules. That's all I meant. I'm in a rush otherwise I'd elaborate more. I don't think you are a mindless order following drone, but those type of people are out there in the righ and the left.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Sea Dangles

I wonder if a poll was ever taken on those who enlist,the % of those who feel an obligation to country vs those who simply consider it their best option for a steady paycheck as well as reimbursement for tuition.No shame either way.
Jim,did you see the story about the abortion clinic in Philly?Horror.The government has to regulate this mess.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Old 04-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Jim in CT

Quote:
Sorry if I offended you. I was just trying to point out that there are more conservatives in the military and who follow religion. Both military and religious beliefs no matter what the religion are about living and following rules. That's all I meant. I'm in a rush otherwise I'd elaborate more. I don't think you are a mindless order following drone, but those type of people are out there in the righ and the left.
No worries, I like this debate. I didn't infer anything you said here as intentionally disrespectful. In that regard, need to follow your lead.

Have a good one.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Nebe

Exactly
Old 04-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #10
Jim in CT

Nebe -

When you say conservatives like to follow rules...if you mean we are more rigid in thinking in some ways than liberals, I agree.

But I think you have misinterpreted (or been misinformed) about what that means.

Most conservatives don't believe that you have to go to mass every single Sunday, or fold your socks in a certain way, or make your bad as precisely as you have to do in the Army. We aren't lemmings.

The rules that we like to follow, have a clear moral purpose that can be seen with any honest analysis of historical facts. The rules we like to follow, include...

listening to your parents
working hard in school, getting as educated as possible
showing as much empathy for others as possible (don't put yourself first all the time)
don't do drugs
don't risk getting yourself or anyone else pregnant, until you are ready
when you have kids, dedicate your life to their development

Nebe, we aren't a bunch of lemmings. We know why we are following these rules, because every study ever done, and there have been hundreds, show that this is the blueprint for a happy, full life.

I'm not saying all conservatives follow these rules, nor am I saying that 0 liberals follow these rules. But in my opinion, liberalism is based more on a motto of "if it feels good, do it". When you convince pepole of that, you get things like a huge spike in the % of babies born to single moms, and guess what? That's EXACTLY what happened, thanks to the radical liberal revolution of the 1960's. Not a great cultural leap forward in my opinion.

Liberals, I believe, don't
Old 04-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #11
spence

I love it, you post about how weak the movement really was in an attempt to demonstrate how dangerous they were

-spence
Old 04-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
scottw

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
I love it, you post about how weak the movement really was in an attempt to demonstrate how dangerous they were -spence

I love it...you are desperate to defend, minimize and dismiss anti-American terrorists....

didn't two teenagers just parlalyze the City of Boston and much of New England for most of a week?

1974, Weather had recognized this shortcoming and in Prairie Fire detailed a different strategy for the 1970s which demanded both mass and clandestine organizations. The role of the clandestine organization would be to build the "consciousness of action" and prepare the way for the development of a people's militia.

this would be "community organizing"
Old 04-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
I love it...you are desperate to defend, minimize and dismiss anti-American terrorists....

didn't two teenagers just parlalyze the City of Boston and much of New England for most of a week?
Sorry, I thought you had hit rock bottom in the other thread. My mistake...

-spence
Old 04-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
scottw

Quote:
Sorry, I thought you had hit rock bottom in the other thread. My mistake...

-spence
it's an obvious question given your stance on Ayers & Co...the fact that you can't answer or find it objectionable says far more about your relative proximity to rock bottom that it does mine
Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #15
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
it's an obvious question given your stance on Ayers & Co...the fact that you can't answer it says far more about your relative proximity to rock bottom that it does mine
What question haven't I answered?

-spence
Old 04-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
Nebe

I want to interject something here. I never said that Columbia was doing the right thing when they hired this lady. I tried to explain what liberals are like. That said. Imagine 30 years from now.. And Columbia hires this kid that was arrested in Boston yesterday. Would it happen?? Weigh the differences between this lady and this kid...
Old 04-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #17
spence

Quote:
That said. Imagine 30 years from now.. And Columbia hires this kid that was arrested in Boston yesterday. Would it happen?? Weigh the differences between this lady and this kid...
I don't think you can make hypotheticals like this...every situation is different. While Boudin was certainly implicated in the murder, she also didn't pull the trigger and was able to plea bargain a lesser sentence...still she served 22 years.

Suspect #2 is likely not going to have the chance to work outside of making license plates. That's assuming he doesn't get sentenced to death in a federal court which I think is a possibility.

-spence
Old 04-20-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
I want to interject something here. I never said that Columbia was doing the right thing when they hired this lady. I tried to explain what liberals are like. That said. Imagine 30 years from now.. And Columbia hires this kid that was arrested in Boston yesterday. Would it happen?? Weigh the differences between this lady and this kid...
That lady is responsible for 3 murders, this kid is responsible for 4. I cannot fathom how you can be OK with this lady teaching at Columbia, and not being OK with this kid teaching there. I'm sure Spence could find sone hair to split.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
That lady is responsible for 3 murders, this kid is responsible for 4. I cannot fathom how you can be OK with this lady teaching at Columbia, and not being OK with this kid teaching there. I'm sure Spence could find sone hair to split.
Again, you find casual parity out of thin air.

This kid and his brother have caused a lot more trouble than 4 murders. Beyond the mass casualties, region wide panic and huge taxpayer bill...there's that tiny issue of premeditation.

-spence
Old 04-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
Jim in CT

Quote:
Again, you find casual parity out of thin air.

This kid and his brother have caused a lot more trouble than 4 murders. Beyond the mass casualties, region wide panic and huge taxpayer bill...there's that tiny issue of premeditation.

-spence
Spence, are you saying that the Brinks robbery, in which 3 were murdered, caused no meaningful panic or taxpayer expense?

OK. So in addition to being a munitions expert, youapparently also know all about public economic policy as it relates to criminal investigations involving major crimes.

The Brinks robbery was a huge deal at the time.

The crimes weren't identical, I never said they were. But I cannot believe you'd want either criminal teaching your kids, although based on the thoughtless drivel you've posted here, maybe you'd have no issue with your kids taught by terrorists, as long as they were liberal terrorists who targeted conservative targets like police officers. But we all know what you'd say about an abortion clinic bomber who killed 4 employees at an abortion clinic.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
Spence, are you saying that the Brinks robbery, in which 3 were murdered, caused no meaningful panic or taxpayer expense?
Nothing like the recent incident, not even close. That you even ponder the question astounds me.

Quote:
OK. So in addition to being a munitions expert, youapparently also know all about public economic policy as it relates to criminal investigations involving major crimes.
Yea cauze I'm wicked smaht.

Quote:
The crimes weren't identical, I never said they were. But I cannot believe you'd want either criminal teaching your kids, although based on the thoughtless drivel you've posted here, maybe you'd have no issue with your kids taught by terrorists, as long as they were liberal terrorists who targeted conservative targets like police officers. But we all know what you'd say about an abortion clinic bomber who killed 4 employees at an abortion clinic.
Now I think you're onto something...good lord.

-spence
Old 04-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #22
Nebe

I never said I was ok with it.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #23
spence

Breaking News

You've just been upstaged.

Trump: 'Is the Boston Killer Eligible for Obama Care to Bring Him Back to Health?' | NewsBusters

-spence
Old 04-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #24
Jim in CT

spence, you are talking about how much taxpayer money was spent; how angry the murderer was at the time; how much lingerinmg fear the murderer instilled in the populace after the crime...these are things that matter if you are deciding whether or not the person gets the death penalty, or whether or not the person gets put on the FBI's most wanted list.

When the question is, "is this person fit to spend all day, every day, around our kids, milding young minds"...if that's the question, then no sane person considers the details that you are desperately and pathetically trying to inject.

I can see the Board of Ed interviewing someone for a teaching position...that person has pled guilty to mass murder. And acocording to Spence, their qualifications for the job, depend on how much money the taxpayers spent to apprehend them.

That's what you said, Spence. And it's deranged. It sounds unhingded.

For God's sake, put down the Kool Aid for one second at some point in your life. At least, open the windows when you are painting inside.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #25
scottw

Quote:
if this was said by John Stewart you be admiring the satire.....