Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Kayaking

Kayaking After the frequent attempts at Bribery, beatings, and simply getting towed at Sunrise - S-B opens the Kayak Forums Also see http://www.ultimatekayakfishing.com

Old 09-19-2016, 10:49 AM   #1
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Maine Trip

Just came back from a long weekend with four other kayakers. We stayed in Searsport by the coast and fished small bodies of water in the area and had a ball. The first morning was unreal, heavy wind pushing bait down the small pond and into a flat with 20 feet of water upwind and 8 feet on top and my depth finder showed a solid mass of bait ten feet thick and smallies pushing them up top and busting all around all day long. It's one of the few times I'd fished for smallies and could actually anchor up and fish a small area all day. The mornings as basically none stop and after a shore lunch break, they did seem to get a bit finicky and you head to change up the presentations to get action. I probably caught 50 nice fish that day.

Next day we fished a small largemouth pond and I caught my largest ME LM around 7lbs on a hollow body frog in the pads and thank God I was standing and fishing my albie rod with 30lb braid tied direct or I'd have had a hard time getting her out. I've caught a lot of nice fish in the slop, but I've never had one blow up on a bait like this bass did, the hole massive and fight was intense. The rest of the bass came on spinnerbaits over weed in 10 foot of water, with some pickeral mixed in. Back to the smallie pond again for day three and the pattern was the same, but they were a bit harder to catch, but managed my biggest of the trip, a solid 4 lber. Even got to use my hook removal method on one of the guys, who had managed to drive a treble into the tip of his middle finger. Luckily I did have the 30lb braid, doubled it up, ran around hook in finger, knotted into loop, pressed down firmly on the hook eye and while I told him what I was going to do; I snapped hard on the braid and easy in and easy out.

Downtown Belfast was fun for food and drink after a long day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4lb SM - Copy.JPG (246.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 7lb LM - Copy.JPG (385.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg The Gang - Copy.JPG (461.2 KB, 30 views)
Got Stripers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #2
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Headed up to my spot in October for a week! Can't wait!! Looks like you had a blast!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #3
Guppy
User

Nice Bob....
Looks like u guys had a great time,,,,
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
hq2

Nice report. Need to see more like that here, so other folks can see how
much fun 'yakkin is. Looking forward to seeing more.
hq2 is offline   Reply With Quote