Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 12-29-2004, 07:45 PM   #31
Nebe

Quote:
Originally posted by assinippi
What is the deal with the nose loop! It is the tail loop that is the challenge.
The deal is that I have to wire up about 20 darters and the nose loop has to be perfecto.. any kinks or bends in it means the darters might not preform to standards.
Nebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:04 PM   #32
Pete F.
Canceled

Quote:
Originally posted by Eben
The deal is that I have to wire up about 20 darters and the nose loop has to be perfecto.. any kinks or bends in it means the darters might not preform to standards.
If perfecto equals identical I would rather bend it around a steel cylinder than a cone, which is why I prefer a cutoff screw and a pair of linesman pliers. No matter where I hold it on the screw it's the same diameter and since the screw is firmly attached I can hold the ends of the wire in one hand and squeeze the pliers with the other.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Pete F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 08:08 PM   #33
Diamond Tackle

Quote:
Originally posted by capesams
one of the top plug makers that everyone knows and get's bid high on and people want to know where their stocked uses 304 annealed sst. small through large plugs.... I think it all depends on the size of the nose and tail loop that you make...big arss loops are going to bend... their suspose to be kept tight to the butt end and not sticking a mile out.

" I think it all depends on the size of the nose and tail loop that you make...big arss loops are going to bend... their suspose to be kept tight to the butt end and not sticking a mile out."

This hits the nail right on the head.
I cant say it any better than that.

Thanks Cape
Diamond Tackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:43 PM   #34
ROCFISH

I have a question about the wire bending tool in the video.
It was very interesting and that gizzmo made perfectly nice neat uniform loops, but I am wondering. When he gets thru bending the wire and making loops on both ends. How does he put the wire in the plug?
ROCFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:06 AM   #35
fishing bum wannabe

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a wise ass, at least not this time. I will try to take some photos and post them. I will often make up 25 - 50 wires at a time, ready to rig with the nose loop already made up. I do this because I can get into a rythm with the slip joint and round nose pliers so that my loops come out round and identically sized. I have a mark on the round nose pliers at the spot in the taper for the size loop I want. Lately I have been making 1 - 1.5 oz plugs and using the same loop size for all.

fishing bum wannabe
fishing bum wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:40 AM   #36
NIB

I like tough wire the tougher the better.it don't come undone lotsa plugs like darters an bottles require the wire to stay where u put it.once i tune a bottle i epoxie the nose wire so it don't move.multiple fish plugs like a pencil popper wil be rendered useless after several decent fish.i have this problem with the gibbs.Any tough wire can be easily minipulated with basic hand tools.I like the way mac does the noseloops u can make em any size u want.some like a big nose loop an believes it provides more freedom for better action.I like em cause the're easier to hook up.I use a tough welding stick wire # 309 inever see that # but thats what i have MAC"s wire is the only stuff i seen that is tougher.To make the tail I use the technique.Chumbucket posted on SOL It should be on the top of the page over there.I hold the wire with.needle nose vise grips an pull the wire tight around a allan wrench chucked up in the vise 2 or three raps pull em up tight to the plug to sink the front in good.makes things nice an neat an tight.an each one looks the same.Any one have wire they can't bend send it to me.I have no reason to anneal i kneel all day long.

Eben to do the darter just bend one side of the front loop flat.In other words it should look like this O_ instead of this O-- to let it sink into the plug so it sticks up enough an don't blow out the top.an epoxie it in. How do u like my computer graffics.
NIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:08 AM   #37
Nebe

Thanks Nib.. nice graphics, an di know exactly what you mean. <')))-< ~~~

as for my noseloops, i should just go out and get more wire and go mental on loops and wrapping. I only have a small abount and have been coveting the stuff.. Thats not how you learn. When I learned how to blow christmas ornaments when I was a kid I filled up 5 trash barrells in one day making clear spheres..... at the end of the day I had it down pat... wax on.... wax off so to speak right Nib??

I'll get this worked out...dammit
Old 12-30-2004, 03:08 PM   #38
Water Treater

Eben,

Get yourself a copy of a McMaster Carr industrial supply catalog and read about the various types of stainless steel wire. It sounds as if you are using a very stiff and brittle ss welding wire. There's better choices.

Years ago I bought from McMaster Carr some semi-soft ss wire on 5 pound spools., in .050 and .064 inch diameters. I bend this wire over small galvanized or nickel plated steel "S" loops used for hanging potted plants indoors. These steel "S" hooks are available in many different diameters depending on how large you want the loop to be.

Just tighten a steel "S" loop in a workbench vise and form your wire loop using use a pair of heavy duty wire cutting pliers, not needle nose pliers that don't have enough force to "show the wire who's boss". You can do this with stiff welding wire but it's a lot easier when using semi-soft ss wire on a spool.

Bill
Water Treater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 06:32 AM   #39
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

Capesams , I think Eben was asking a question about the wire , I dont think he wanted a History lesson on what another Builder uses, Maybe you can give us another Clue who

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
JHABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:05 AM   #40
capesams
Really Old & Really Grumpy

why is it you think everything is pointed at you give it a break.

BOAT fish do count.
capesams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:18 AM   #41
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

I didn't say it was anything about Me Maybe its just a past practice of yours, Can I buy a vowel. Happy New Year Capesams......................Ebeeeeeeen call me anytime will help you out........................

Over the Last Several Years HAB'S NEEDLEFISH Have Caught More "Confirmed" 30, 40, 50, and even 60 pound Striped Bass than any other Wooden Needlefish on the Market today. 2 Over 50lbs. and 1 Over 60lbs. in 2005 alone........... "HOOK UP WITH HAB'S" Your Best Bet For BIG BASS.....
Old 12-31-2004, 07:21 AM   #42
NIB

Maybe at 35 dollars a pop he has a guilty conscience.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:24 AM   #43
JHABS
Needlefish Nazi

Ah Nib your a Comedien..... Happy New Year

Old 12-31-2004, 07:26 AM   #44
NIB

God Bles John Habs. Happy NEW Yr
Old 12-31-2004, 09:30 AM   #45
Nebe

Habs I will you... gracias amigo