Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Hookedagain

Now they're shooting at Firefighters!

This morning in Webster New York the fire dept responded to a structure fire and were faced with a gunman shooting at them. WTF! Two firefighters DEAD and two more taken by Medflight to an area hospital and are in serious condition. The fire dept abandoned the fire....let the effing things burn. Good for them. Ended up being three dwellings fully involved.
Hookedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
spence

4 firefighters shot, 2 killed at Webster, N.Y., fire

That's seriously farked upp.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
fishbones

Wow, as if fighting a fire wasn't dangerous enough.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #4
RIJIMMY
sick of bluefish

who the hell would do that? On christmas eve? WTF?

making s-b.com a kinder, gentler place for all
RIJIMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
FishermanTim

Sorry, but once you take shots at a fireman or police officer, you have essentially signed your death warrant.
They should (but never will) tell the residents in and around that area that they will NO LONGER be served by those services (fire & police) until the vermin that commited these murders are turned in DEAD OR ALIVE!

Maybe if they put a bounty on their heads, and not a request for info leading up to an arrest, blah, blah, blah... but just say bring us the bodies, and get paid!

This is insane!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
spence

Think the gunman is dead.

They're thinking it was a trap.

Seriously effed up.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
The guy I got driving on of my plow trucks last year and if it ever snows this year is an EMT
Last year we were talking and he's telling me stories of when he worked in Boston and had to wear a bullet proof vest to work.
How #^&#^&#^&#^&ed up is that ?
You are doing a job saving peoples lives as an AMT and you had to worried about getting shot, stabbed, killed ect..... trying to possibly save peoples lives !
I guess his partner got stabbed on the job.
The drug box in the ambulance was a big reason for them always being in danger.

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

That is really horrendous , I don't know how anyone can even think of doing such things, had to be many screws loose.
They already put their lives on the line to save lives and property, and then this kind of crap I don't blame them for leaving the fire, that is way above their paygrade.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #9
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
The guy I got driving on of my plow trucks last year and if it ever snows this year is an EMT
Last year we were talking and he's telling me stories of when he worked in Boston and had to wear a bullet proof vest to work.
How #^&#^&#^&#^&ed up is that ?
You are doing a job saving peoples lives as an AMT and you had to worried about getting shot, stabbed, killed ect..... trying to possibly save peoples lives !
I guess his partner got stabbed on the job.
The drug box in the ambulance was a big reason for them always being in danger.
I worked 5 years as an EMT, 2.5 of them were in Hartford, Manchester, E. Hartford, CT. It was "suggested" that if you were regularly on the Hartford 911 shifts that you buy a vest. I've been blocks away from active shootings, mostly gang related. The concern wasn't so much the dirt bags targeting medical staff, it was the scum mistaking EMTs for cops and shooting at us because the uniforms were very similar.

A friend of a friend whom I was speaking to during a gathering on Christmas Eve was droning on about gun control, yada yada yada, because of Sandy Hook and now this. I told her "Yeah, I agree. Some people died in the fires too. We need the government to start outlawing matches as well."

The situation in New York emphasizes my point that we need better mental health care because "crazy people are crazy and will find a way to kill people if they want to." That's also not to mention that (from what I heard) the guy had already been to prison once for killing someone.
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
That's also not to mention that (from what I heard) the guy had already been to prison once for killing someone.
17 years for Beating his Grandmother to death with a Hammer....real prince of a fellow

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dad Fisherman View Post
17 years for Beating his Grandmother to death with a Hammer....real prince of a fellow
Thanks. Too lazy after all the catchup work today to look it up.

Mental health is the real problem here. (That and not disposing some of these people into a bottomless pit)
Old 12-26-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
Sea Dangles

Firefighters can be annoying but this seems excessive.

PRO CHOICE REPUBLICAN
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

it seems that we ALWAYS hear of paroled murderers killing again....let's get it right the first time dammit.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

How about trigger locks?

I agree mental health is the primary issue here, that and not keeping the guy locked up because he hammered his grandmother to death, BUT how about all these people who have all these weapons laying around there house so that every occupant has access to them. Granted, many locks don't provide much in the way of denying access, then again some locks keep a nut busy for hours trying to get the locks off the trigger housing.

Last edited by Swimmer; 12-28-2012 at 01:51 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
I agree mental health is the primary issue here, that and not keeping the guy locked up because he hammered his mother to death, BUT how about all these people who have all these weapons laying around there house so that every occupant has access to them. Granted, many locks don't provide much in the way of denying access, then again some locks keep a nut busy for hours trying to get the locks off the trigger housing.
There's a reason why safes and locks are frequently rated on "how long it takes to crack". Given 15 minutes, a drill and some titanium drill bits, most locks and safes can be broken into - even those fancy $1000 safes.

Trigger locks? A thief could just steal the gun and cut the lock off when they get home (rather, get back to their government subsidized crack house).

In MA, it is state law that all stored firearms are required to be locked in a safe or with a tamper-resistant lock that disables the weapon.
General Laws: CHAPTER 140, Section 131L
Old 12-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
it seems that we ALWAYS hear of paroled murderers killing again....let's get it right the first time dammit.
We do here. Life w/o possibility of parole is the mandatory sentence in Mass for first degree murder. First or 50th arrest, makes no difference.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #17
fishbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
We do here. Life w/o possibility of parole is the mandatory sentence in Mass for first degree murder. First or 50th arrest, makes no difference.
I think I read this guy was locked up for manslaughter, not murder. Not knowing the details of the case, I would say that either his attorney did a good job for him or the prosecution didn't have enough for a murder conviction.

Conservatism is not about leaving people behind. Conservatism is about empowering people to catch up, to give them tools at their disposal that make it possible for them to access all the hope, all the promise, all the opportunity that America offers. - Marco Rubio
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #18
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbones View Post
I think I read this guy was locked up for manslaughter, not murder. Not knowing the details of the case, I would say that either his attorney did a good job for him or the prosecution didn't have enough for a murder conviction.
The case was in NY. Most murders there are charged as second degree murder, because premeditation isn't an element of murder. All that's required is to prove the intent to cause death, or, alternatively, causing death during the commission of specified felonies, or with "depraved indifference to human life". First degree murder is limited to killing peace officers, or other selected victims. Your garden variety murder is second degree, and you can be eligible for parole there in anywhere from 15-25 years, depending on the minimum term imposed by the judge. But you're correct---the prosecution will often plead down a weak case to manslaughter.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #19
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Now they are shooting at Policemen (in the station):

3 officers shot at New Jersey police station
By Jason White, NBC News
Three police officers were shot early Friday at the Gloucester Township Police station in New Jersey, according to a local NBC News station.
One of the officers is in surgery, and the other two are in the hospital with minor injuries, reported NBC10, NBC's Philadelphia affiliate.
The gunman is reportedly not associated with the police department. It is unclear if a suspect is in custody.
Gloucester is in central New Jersey, about 15 miles outside Philadelphia.

Given the diversity of the human species, there is no “normal” human genome sequence. We are all mutants.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #20
Piscator

Unfortunately all these bad guys are going to make it very hard for good folks to own guns........what a shame.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Piscator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Quote:
In MA, it is state law that all stored firearms are required to be locked in a safe or with a tamper-resistant lock that disables the weapon.
General Laws: CHAPTER 140, Section 131L
The above information was correct until a cape judge decided on behalf of a defendent, who just happened to be a state trooper, that thier is no requirement to keep guns locked in Massachusetts. The defendent was found not guilty based on the judges finding. Remember in Mass. go jury waived.

Last edited by Swimmer; 12-28-2012 at 06:53 PM..

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #22
JohnnyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmer View Post
The above information was correct until a cape judge decided on behalf of a defendent, who just happened to be a state trooper, that thier is no requirement to keep guns locked in Massachusetts. he defendent was found no guilty based on the judges finding. Remember in Mass. go jury waived.
Thank you. I was unaware that there was any case law to the contrary. You don't happen to have any other information?

Frankly, if my spouse and I are both legally licensed, I see no reason why the state can tell me how I'm allowed to store firearms in my own house, especially my home protection weapon. "Excuse home invader, could you please wait a moment while I get my keys, unlock my safe and get my shotgun. Thanks!"
Old 12-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #23
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Thank you. I was unaware that there was any case law to the contrary. You don't happen to have any other information?

Frankly, if my spouse and I are both legally licensed, I see no reason why the state can tell me how I'm allowed to store firearms in my own house, especially my home protection weapon. "Excuse home invader, could you please wait a moment while I get my keys, unlock my safe and get my shotgun. Thanks!"
Don't take it as any kind of precedent. The law is on the books, and being enforced everywhere in the Commonwealth. You have one ruling in a jury-waived trial, by a lower court judge, who didn't want to see a Statie lose his job. Since the judge found the Statie not guilty after a trial, the DA couldn't appeal. The judge didn't throw the law out. He found that the DA didn't prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. That's all. And if the defendant wasn't a Statie, you can bet your bottom dollar that the verdict wouldn't have gone that way.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #24
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Also, if you have a LTC, you can legally keep any firearm on your person or under your direct control. The improper storage law only applies when you are not in physical possession of the weapon. Let's say you have a gun under your pillow in bed or in a nightstand within arm's reach. If you were to be charged with improper storage, and I was representing you, I would argue that it was under your direct control, and probably be successful. And in point of fact, almost every person that I've seen charged with improper storage was as a result of a case where there was a domestic situation, the wife called the cops, and they found a gun that wasn't properly stored. The cops can't just come into your house to check out whether your guns are properly stored---they have to be in there for a legitimate reason to start with.

Just as an FYI---improper storage when a minor is present is a serious felony in Massachusetts.

Last edited by Mike P; 12-28-2012 at 07:03 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #25
Squid kids Dad

The school in Newtown was locked also..Looked what happened there

I'm going where I'm going...
Squid kids Dad is offline   Reply With Quote