Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 04-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
wdmso

Republicans think Trumps a doctor

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/10/83034...ring-criticism

He acknowledged that some families were not aware their relatives were put on the drug, saying that "for the most part" he consulted with each nursing home resident prior to giving them on the tablets.

While the "overwhelming majority of them are awake and alert and can actually have a conversation," Armstrong said some suffer from middle stages of dementia. In some cases, he did not discuss with anyone at all before prescribing the tablets.
So their guinea pigs

I have no issues if people are willing take this medication. But read the storie and how friends in high places grease the wheels

There is no proof that any drug can cure or prevent infection with the coronavirus. Even this med

For Trump to say everything is fake news and yet promote this as legit is odd and not sure who's pouring this honey in his ear?
Old 04-11-2020, 11:18 AM   #2
Sea Dangles

What does the article have to do with Republicans?
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 04-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #3
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
Read it
Old 04-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdmso View Post
Read it
He works in one line sentences, your asking a lot, but he can tell you who the greatest president of our lifetime is; of that much I’m sure. Trump is always boasting about the biggest, the grandest, the smartest, he loves the big numbers. Well today he got the most deaths by any country, with over 500,000 cases and we haven’t even come close to testing enough and this is far from over. Thanks Donald for getting out in front of this and for getting the narrative responsible from the start.

In 2005 George W Bush stated “If we wait for a pandemic to appear, it will be to late to prepare.”
Old 04-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #5
Pete F.
Canceled

Either we have the highest fatality rate or we have done close to half as much testing as anyone else.
I suspect our testing has been limited because of this administration’s failure to pay attention to details and inability to administer the bureaucracy.
We quite likely have more than a million cases, we just don’t know it.
Now MRI1 tell me again about Italy as we pass them in deceased.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #6
spence

The testing is still a huge issue, experts seem to agree it’s critical to a stable recovery yet there is no national plan.
Old 04-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
Sea Dangles

Thank goodness we have done a great job with the spread and the forecast numbers are being beaten across the board.👍🏿

It’s times like this I am proud to be an American. 🇺🇸
Old 04-11-2020, 06:46 PM   #8
Pete F.
Canceled

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it
Trumplicans conveniently forget that
The Stable Genius blithers on as usual
Old 04-11-2020, 09:54 PM   #9
detbuch

Old 04-12-2020, 06:20 AM   #10
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

If your trying to make the case that a lot of blame falls squarely on China for allowing this virus to get a foothold throughout the world by early misinformation, I think your preaching to the choir on that one.

When it became clear to the health experts, who I’m certain briefed this administration that this was going to progress in a similar way to what happened in China and other countries, Trump continued to downplay the severity of this crisis, he failed to mobilize to get out ahead at what was to come and the messaging just allowed those listening to our “leader” a comfort level to walk around and live life as usual. The result is a larger outbreak, more severe disruption of life, more loss of life and a larger impact to the economy then if we were out in front early and better prepared from the start.
Old 04-12-2020, 06:31 AM   #11
wdmso

Said it was impossible for China to hide what was going on for the USA because of our spy and intelligence gathering.. to counter this china fault Trump defense over his earlier in actions... 2 weeks ago , now the facts catch up ..

Intelligence report warned of coronavirus crisis as early as November:
Old 04-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #12
Sea Dangles

Happy Easter to our first responders.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #13
detbuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
If your trying to make the case that a lot of blame falls squarely on China for allowing this virus to get a foothold throughout the world by early misinformation, I think your preaching to the choir on that one.

When it became clear to the health experts, who I’m certain briefed this administration that this was going to progress in a similar way to what happened in China and other countries, Trump continued to downplay the severity of this crisis, he failed to mobilize to get out ahead at what was to come and the messaging just allowed those listening to our “leader” a comfort level to walk around and live life as usual. The result is a larger outbreak, more severe disruption of life, more loss of life and a larger impact to the economy then if we were out in front early and better prepared from the start.
What was this constantly parroted but unspecified "get out in front of" meme? The medical "experts" like Fauci were "downplaying" it. China had willingly let many thousands from the infected area leave the country going to all parts of the world including the U.S. when it knew of the outbreak (way before it admitted there was one). It was most likely here and spreading before we had a chance to "get ahead of it."

And the various supplies that were supposed to be stockpiled by states and the Federal government according to the plan supposedly left behind by the Bush and Obama administrations were already depleted and not restocked by them and the states and cities (such as NY) before Trump was elected. It was a decent plan, but the past administration didn't follow it as it should have and quietly left the Trump administration with shortages which it had to scramble to fill. Which it did. And, it appears, that the mobilization to restock has prevented the shortage from becoming a catastrophe in that respect.

I keep hearing about the testing that should have been done. Well, there was a whole bureaucracy in place that was supposed to be handling the "plan" which should have been up to speed and fully equipped at all levels of government. The Bureaucracy did not respond as well as the critics demanded that, instead, Trump should have. So the administration gets the blame, warranted or not.

Critics point to South Korea and Taiwan as examples of how it should have been done stat. Well, their bureaucracies, being right next door to the communist beast, and having gone through the previous infections spread by that beast, were not as off-guard as the rest of the world. Nor were they as unwieldly as is the American many tiered one. Taiwan's population is only approximately double that of NY city. Yet NY was totally unprepared and understocked, even though there was the national plan in place that said it should have been.

It is obvious that the critics are mostly the same that have been trying to remove Trump since he was elected. It is obvious that they have been using this crisis as the latest attempt to get rid of him.

The narrative created by these critics is so pointedly crafted that it sometimes trips on itself. Such as attempting to make Trump out to be a dummy by his touting the chloroquine drug, yet pointing how prescient and good was South Korea's response, overlooking that SK touts that drug and is part of its recommended protocol.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #14
Pete F.
Canceled

Trump attacks and dismisses:
1. reporters
2. inspectors general
3. intelligence officials
4. federal law enforcement
5. judges
6. scientists

What do they all have in common? Their job is to tell the truth.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:21 AM   #15
Pete F.
Canceled

It's all a plot to take down Trump*

The National Security Council office responsible for tracking pandemics received intelligence reports in early January predicting the spread of the virus to the United States, and within weeks was raising options like keeping Americans home from work and shutting down cities the size of Chicago. Mr. Trump would avoid such steps until March.

Despite Mr. Trump’s denial weeks later, he was told at the time about a Jan. 29 memo produced by his trade adviser, Peter Navarro, laying out in striking detail the potential risks of a coronavirus pandemic: as many as half a million deaths and trillions of dollars in economic losses.

The health and human services secretary, Alex M. Azar II, directly warned Mr. Trump of the possibility of a pandemic during a call on Jan. 30, the second warning he delivered to the president about the virus in two weeks. The president, who was on Air Force One while traveling for appearances in the Midwest, responded that Mr. Azar was being alarmist.

Mr. Azar publicly announced in February that the government was establishing a “surveillance” system in five American cities to measure the spread of the virus and enable experts to project the next hot spots. It was delayed for weeks.

By the last week of February, it was clear to the administration’s public health team that schools and businesses in hot spots would have to close. But in the turbulence of the Trump White House, it took three more weeks to persuade the president that failure to act quickly to control the spread of the virus would have dire consequences.

What Mr. Trump decided to do next could dramatically shape the course of the pandemic — and how many people would get sick and die.

With that in mind, the task force had gathered for a tabletop exercise — a real-time version of a full-scale war gaming of a flu pandemic the administration had run the previous year. That earlier exercise, also conducted by Mr. Kadlec and called “Crimson Contagion,” predicted 110 million infections, 7.7 million hospitalizations and 586,000 deaths following a hypothetical outbreak that started in China.

Facing the likelihood of a real pandemic, the group needed to decide when to abandon “containment” — the effort to keep the virus outside the U.S. and to isolate anyone who gets infected — and embrace “mitigation” to thwart the spread of the virus inside the country until a vaccine becomes available.

The exercise was sobering. The group — including Dr. Anthony S. Fauci of the National Institutes of Health; Dr. Robert R. Redfield of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and Mr. Azar, who at that stage was leading the White House Task Force — concluded they would soon need to move toward aggressive social distancing, even at the risk of severe disruption to the nation’s economy and the daily lives of millions of Americans.

If Dr. Kadlec had any doubts, they were erased two days later, when he stumbled upon an email from a researcher at the Georgia Institute of Technology, who was among the group of academics, government physicians and infectious diseases doctors who had spent weeks tracking the outbreak in the Red Dawn email chain.

A 20-year-old Chinese woman had infected five relatives with the virus even though she never displayed any symptoms herself. The implication was grave — apparently healthy people could be unknowingly spreading the virus — and supported the need to move quickly to mitigation.

“Is this true?!” Dr. Kadlec wrote back to the researcher on February 23rd. “If so we have a huge whole on our screening and quarantine effort,” including a typo where he meant hole. Her response was blunt: “People are carrying the virus everywhere.”

The following day, Dr. Kadlec and the others decided to present Mr. Trump with a plan titled “Four Steps to Mitigation,” telling the president that they needed to begin preparing Americans for a step rarely taken in United States history.

But over the next several days, a presidential blowup and internal turf fights would sidetrack such a move. The focus would shift to messaging and confident predictions of success rather than publicly calling for a shift to mitigation.

Frasier: Niles, I’ve just had the most marvelous idea for a website! People will post their opinions, cheeky bon mots, and insights, and others will reply in kind!

Niles: You have met “people”, haven’t you?

Lets Go Darwin
Old 04-12-2020, 11:47 AM   #16
detbuch

Sounds like things were developing, things were being discovered, the federal bureaucracy, as bureaucracies do, finally implemented the new scheme. This is the nature of multi-layered, complicated bureaucracies which ultimately wait for some central command. Expecting such a central command and control to immediately react to various suggestions, some of which conflict with others, to immediately hop on the supposedly correct one, is susceptible to Monday morning quarterbacking. Which can be used as opposition finger pointing attacks in order to gain power. A power which has, in itself, led to further and often worse "missteps" or outright malfeasance.

To claim to immediately know what exactly was the "right" thing to do is claiming some godlike power of foresight. Eventually getting it right is about the best we can hope for. Different localities, states, cities, did not have to wait for a central directive. Not in a truly federated system of government. What we have been evolving into is a unitary state which ultimately depends on the decision of one person. Blaming Trump is a symptom of how far we have gone down that dangerous path.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #17
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
yet there is no national plan.
and yet we are doing better than the models predicted.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #18
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dangles View Post
a fair question. rather than answering, you get insulted. not one of them can admit they’re wrong. not on anything.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #19
wdmso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
a fair question. rather than answering, you get insulted. not one of them can admit they’re wrong. not on anything.
seems you didnt read it .... shocking

so ill spoon feed you

some of the nation's most respected health officials have said there is insufficient evidence showing that the 80-year-old drug, is a viable treatment in battling the new virus.

Yet President Trump has been an enthusiastic champion of hydroxychloroquine, calling it a "game-changer."

That's when his political connections proved useful.

Armstrong, who is a prominent GOP activist, called Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick. He says Patrick reached out to Texas state Sen. Bryan Hughes, also a Republican, who knew someone on the board of the New Jersey-based company Amneal Pharmaceuticals. The company, which makes and distributes the drug, has donated more than a million tablets nationwide, including to the states of Texas and Louisiana.

Two days later, Armstrong had received more than enough medication to begin giving it to patients.

Last edited by wdmso; 04-12-2020 at 12:48 PM..
Old 04-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #20
wdmso

Quote:
due to social distancing or do you suggest other factors ?
Old 04-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #21
spence

Quote:
That has little to do with a national strategy, it’s mostly because people have followed orders from their state governments.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:51 PM   #22
wdmso

Quote:
That has little to do with a national strategy, it’s mostly because people have followed orders from their state governments.
I stated this like last week or so ...Trump supporters were going to 1 say Trump saved us because Many more could have died

or 2 Trump saved more lives than the experts predicted

and social distance or experts will play no role in the out come..
Old 04-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #23
Jim in CT

Quote:
seems you didnt read it .... shocking

so ill spoon feed you

some of the nation's most respected health officials have said there is insufficient evidence showing that the 80-year-old drug, is a viable treatment in battling the new virus.

Yet President Trump has been an enthusiastic champion of hydroxychloroquine, calling it a "game-changer."

That's when his political connections proved useful.

Armstrong, who is a prominent GOP activist, called Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick. He says Patrick reached out to Texas state Sen. Bryan Hughes, also a Republican, who knew someone on the board of the New Jersey-based company Amneal Pharmaceuticals. The company, which makes and distributes the drug, has donated more than a million tablets nationwide, including to the states of Texas and Louisiana.

Two days later, Armstrong had received more than enough medication to begin giving it to patients.
NO ONE is responding to what Trump says. They’re responding to what the many doctors have said who claim it works.

“The pathology of ideological possession.”. If trump says “ some doctors say this drug helps
in certain situations”, not only must that be false, it must also be a reckless and evil thing for him to say. despite all
the doctors who claim they’re having success with it in certain situations, with certain patients. If Trump says it's true, it has to be wrong, and it has to be sinister.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:54 PM   #24
Jim in CT

Quote:
yes, because as far as i know, our
mortality rates are lower than elsewhere. i also credit out healthcare system. i also believe the models were deeply flawed, because the assumptions that the models rely on, were flawed. imagine trying to model the effects of climate change, which have a larger number of variables.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #25
Jim in CT

Quote:
still not sure this is a republican issue. i saw a democrat legislator from michigan ( a black woman) on tv with her doctor. they are both convinced that hydroxychloroquine saved her life. i don’t know what republican vs democrat had to do with it, except that democrats are consumed by TDS.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #26
Jim in CT

Quote:
so all the beds built by the army corps of engineers, the masks and ventilators being produced by the private sector thanks to enacting certain policies, aren’t having an effect?

but you have a point...in these cases, state and local
governments will
do more to move the needle, which is why i think they should
have more authority than the feds.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:09 PM   #27
detbuch

Quote:
so all the beds built by the army corps of engineers, the masks and ventilators being produced by the private sector thanks to enacting certain policies, aren’t having an effect?

but you have a point...in these cases, state and local
governments will
do more to move the needle, which is why i think they should
have more authority than the feds.
That's called federalism. Spence is a statist of the Progressive order--one state, one central government, administered by some kind of authority such as a President, or whatever they wish to call it.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #28
spence

Quote:
Not in terms of improved modeling really no.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:47 PM   #29
wdmso

Quote:
NO ONE is responding to what Trump says. They’re responding to what the many doctors have said who claim it works.

Ya ok please name the doctors love to see it must be the same the right uses against climate change

This doctor used dementia patients in his experiments based on ... and covered by Trump and his state Republicans pals.

Thank you President Trump! ... #Hydroxychloroquineworks. breitbart. Comments about borris Johnson getting out of the hospital ,,, your crazy if this way of thinking is just fringe Trump supporters

Last edited by wdmso; 04-12-2020 at 01:55 PM..
Old 04-12-2020, 03:02 PM   #30
Jim in CT

Quote:
Ya ok please name the doctors love to see it must be the same the right uses against climate change

This doctor used dementia patients in his experiments based on ... and covered by Trump and his state Republicans pals.

Thank you President Trump! ... #Hydroxychloroquineworks. breitbart. Comments about borris Johnson getting out of the hospital ,,, your crazy if this way of thinking is just fringe Trump supporters
are you denying that a number of doctors are saying they had success with this? are you really, seriously saying that? so god damn ignorant. i mean, you’re unaware of anything that doesn’t pint trump in a negative light.