Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » DIY - Forum

DIY - Forum Do It Yourself for Non-Fishing Items

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Tagger
Hydro Orientated Lures

How do you guys stand it ?

So ,,, took the day off to get a building permit today on framing a gable and roofing it ... had 4 sets of plans and met the building commissioner (nice guy).. Then the inspector came in .. It's been a while I must admit but geeez... I'm not a contractor . I'm doing this as a home owner . Had a dimension missing on the plans ... "What's This ?" whoops missed it ,, height of gable . Quick thinking ,, Well here's the span half of that . times the rise 5" per foot plus the stock thickness angles ,, rough g estimate . Go over to the table and wright it in . Come back ,,"How much is this going to cost ?" Well I'm doing all the work myself but I do have a roofing estimate and I know the stock for framing roughly double that plus the roofing estimate .. Back to the table ,,, He liked a 10K figure ,, ok .. Gives me a paper to fill out as to what dumpster company I was using ?? HUH ?? Well I was going to the Conservation office after this to see if they would allow a dumpster in wetland area .. Good Idea but I need this before I can issue a permit ... OK ... Who's local ? ... Fill out the form with thier name an addy .. Now we good ? No ,, You have to go to the fire dept. to have your plan stamped then bring it all back and I'll revue it,, may take as much as 12 days to get your permit . .. Ok I drive the car off to the Fire Dept. Guys out somewhere .. Hanging around the station ,,, The guy comes in ,, goes over my stuff ,, Wants an upgrade of smokes hard wired .. OK .. get that stamped ... Back to town hall .. Hi ,, Paul here ? he told me to leave this stuff to revue ... OH !!! Pauls out (only there from 8-10) We don't take plans ,, We might lose them . says the secretary ... All of a sudden the commissioner appears . I told him Paul said get this stuff stamped and then he'd revue .. Maybe have a permit in 12 days. 12 days he says ??? I said yea ,, I'd at least like to start doing some demo and see what I have to work with .. ( Shack )... He scribbles his signature on a business card and says ,, "Go ahead and Start your exploratory work " ,,, Still though ... Took the day off ,, Took a chance of my boss getting pissed at me ,, lost a days pay,,, Still no permit .. Great system ... Oh and another thing ,, He gave me a list of inspections when to call him .. Sheathing Inspection ,,, really ? Paul said a lot of guys are blowing the nails through the sheathing with the nail guns .. He wants to inspect sheathing ... This use to be Go time to get the roof on and water tight .. After 39 yrs. in carpentry I don't know anything anymore .. I don't how you guys in your own business absorb the down time of all this ,, or the frustration...

Belcher Goonfoock (retired)
(dob 4-21-07)
Tagger is offline   Reply With Quote