Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » TUNA & Big Game

TUNA & Big Game TUNA - Offshore Fishing for Tuna and Other Big Game

Old 06-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Tuna Advice--Please!

I've dropped two BFT (estimated 55" to 60") and was hoping someone could give me some advice. Here's the most recent situation.

Hooked both fish solid, got the guy in a fighting belt and harness, put him in the front of the boat (19' CC), clamped the drag down all the way (20 lb pressure rated drag), and let the fish fight the drag and pull the boat. Got the fish to the boat several times, but each time, just out of gaffing range, the fish sounded. So I motored the boat away from the fish to get a better fighting angle. Each time we were able to turn the fish, and it followed/chased the boat and we gained line....only to have the fish sound on us again at the boat.

Eventually we lost the fish when it ran under the boat and nicked the line on either the hull or bow rail which broke the 80# braid.

I'm new at this tuna game and would like any advice about fish-fighting and boat handling techniques from a small boat.

BTW, the rod handled the fish nicely though the reel drag (Saltist 50) could be a bit under powered for these fish. But I'm told my set up should handle fish to 150 lbs and other guys are landing similar fish on spinning gear. Thanks for any advice.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
clcharette
Get off my Rock

Have you checked your drag with a scale?

Are you hooking them on the troll or jigging/casting?

During the end game you are going to have to get yourself into the stern which will allow the person with the gaff to get closer to the waterline which will help in leadering as well.
clcharette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
taJon

just a thought but maybe a topshot of mono which should have more resistance to abrasion when the fish is next to the boat.

boatless................can I have a ride?
taJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

We've been hooking the fish on the troll. I think the idea of working the fish to the stern is a good idea, but the way the fish kept running under the boat when it got close, I was worried about catching the prop or the skeg.

Also, the 80# braid had top shot of 80# fluorocarbon.

Going again Friday or Saturday and hope for better luck.

Last edited by Sweetwater; 06-10-2009 at 02:19 PM..

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
MakoMike

During the end game the fish will swim in circles, you have to get used to it and be able to judge the size of the circle and keep the boat at the very edge. Be patient and wait until the fish swims within gaffing rage before wiring it and sinking the steel. At the end the angler should be in the stern where the wireman and gaffman can get closer to the water. You might also want to consider using a cockpit harpoon rather than a gaff. Most people can handle the harpoon mor easily than the gaff.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Gaff vs harpoon always a big choice when the pressure is on in those last moments of the hunt. I just picked up a combo harpoon/flying gaff from eBay in case you are interested.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp gaff_harpoon.bmp (350.4 KB, 61 views)
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

I have a small boat so the combined gaff/harpoon looks like a very good idea. Would you mind telling me what brand and model that is.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Like I said, I'm in a pretty steep learning curve right now.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
PRBuzz
BuzzLuck

Send a message via Skype™ to PRBuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
I have a small boat so the combined gaff/harpoon looks like a very good idea. Would you mind telling me what brand and model that is.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Like I said, I'm in a pretty steep learning curve right now.
Here's the eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Flying-Gaff-Harp...3%3A1|294%3A50

or search eBay for: Flying Gaff Harpoon combo Tuna

Guy out of NC makes them, South Chatham Tackle.
PRBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
buckman

We fight the fish from the port corner. Once the fish is below we put the boat in a slow lazy left turn.That seems to keep the fish away fro the boat a bit and seems to have worked consistantly last year. We dropped only three fish last year and not a one at the boat. We keep the fish in the water and remove the hook before reviving it for a healthy release.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBuzz View Post
Here's the eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Flying-Gaff-Harp...3%3A1|294%3A50

or search eBay for: Flying Gaff Harpoon combo Tuna

Guy out of NC makes them, South Chatham Tackle.
Great! Thanks.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
taJon

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
We fight the fish from the port corner. Once the fish is below we put the boat in a slow lazy left turn.That seems to keep the fish away fro the boat a bit and seems to have worked consistantly last year. We dropped only three fish last year and not a one at the boat. We keep the fish in the water and remove the hook before reviving it for a healthy release.
did you get any yet this year? I'm hoping for tomorrow. If no then this weekend for me.

boatless................can I have a ride?
taJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:17 PM   #12
keeperreaper
Spot Preserver

First off congratulations on doing the hardest part of tuna fishing hooking up. Whatever you are doing is working and keep that up. Nice work there. As for losing the fish boat side lets see if we can help you here. Keep the boat in gear, dont stop it because by keeping the boat moving it keeps pressure on the fish and is cheap insurance that the angler doesnt let the line go slack. Pick a corner of the boat and fight the fish there or if you are hooked up in the bow at the end game walk down the side. Keep the fishto the exterior of the boat. Keep the angle of the boat at 30 degrees to the fish. This gives you the best advantage in either circling ,chasing, or running down the fish. All tuna will death spiral at end game. It is real easy to lose fish here but also real easy to land them.

Keep the boat in gear moving forward, have the angler a few feet forward of the corner. That way he can move forward or back if need be to protect the line from chafing and also places the leaderman and gaffman in the optimium position. You want the angler forward towards the bow, the leaderman right behind him and the gaffman right behind him towards the stern take 2 or three wraps and guide lift the fish into position. Finally have the gaffman rake the gaff hook down and back towards the boat into the head or back of the tuna. Following this setup will eliminate the gaff crossing the line and either tripping the hook or damaging /cutting the line. If he misses the fish have the leader man step back or lift the leader up higher. Following this setup will land fish in your cooler.

If you have a harpoon follow the same setup and throw the harpoon as if you were trying to throw through the tuna. Also the fish is deeper than it looks in the weater due to refraction. You can use the angle of the line at a guide for center mass. Aim a few incehes lower and you should be spot on. Harpoons are great if you want to keep the fish. If you are going to release the fish dont use the dart.

Remember you want to use the boat to close the gap and pressure the fish to have anaerobic breakdown ie tire him out. Dont run the boat 180 degrees away from him. It does nothing for you in the fight except tire out the angler.

As for leader 80 lb should be fine for this application.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited by keeperreaper; 06-10-2009 at 05:22 PM..

Make America Great Again.
keeperreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
niko

good stuff. where is the optimal harpoon shot?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Keepreaper. Your explanation is very clear and also makes a lot of sense. I'll definitely give this a shot. I'm hoping the hooking luck doesn't change but the landing luck does!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #15
Tuna Helper

What about the drag? Do you back off the drag when the fish is close?
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #16
buckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by taJon View Post
did you get any yet this year? I'm hoping for tomorrow. If no then this weekend for me.
First trip of 09 on Saturday. I can not wait to join the fun.
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #17
MakoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko View Post
good stuff. where is the optimal harpoon shot?
Just behind the gill plate.

I was hoping to get out this weekend but it looks like the T-storms will keep me at the dock.

****MakoMike****

Http://www.Makomania.net

Official S-B Sponsor
MakoMike is offline   Reply With Quote