Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » The Scuppers

The Scuppers This is a new forum for the not necessarily fishing related topics...

Old 12-08-2017, 07:02 AM   #1
Rmarsh

Home Depot Cashier Error

Went in to pick up some 3/4" poplar plywood...took all they had on the rack...17 sheets... which was too much to load on those dollies so got an employee to forklift them outside to the truck. Went to pay and told the cashier seventeen sheets. She said she needed the skew # and then rang it up. Got my receipt and left...driving back to the shop I decided to look at the total...thats when I realized that I was only charged for one sheet....a mistake of over $500
Turned around right away and headed back to the store.
Cashier sees me in line with the slip and asked if something was wrong. I explain the situation...shes shocked but very grateful.
Says she would have been fired. Doing the right thing always feels better than getting away with something.
Rmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Sea Dangles

Kudos
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Sea Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmarsh View Post
Went in to pick up some 3/4" poplar plywood...took all they had on the rack...17 sheets... which was too much to load on those dollies so got an employee to forklift them outside to the truck. Went to pay and told the cashier seventeen sheets. She said she needed the skew # and then rang it up. Got my receipt and left...driving back to the shop I decided to look at the total...thats when I realized that I was only charged for one sheet....a mistake of over $500
Turned around right away and headed back to the store.
Cashier sees me in line with the slip and asked if something was wrong. I explain the situation...shes shocked but very grateful.
Says she would have been fired. Doing the right thing always feels better than getting away with something.
you are a vanishing breed... a lot of people would have kept going and then bragged about their "score" on social media...kudos to you for doing the right thing... I wonder how it would have turned out if the mistake had been the other way around...how much of aggravation would it have been to get your other 16 sheets..

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

Doing the right thing when you're the only one who knows...way to go!

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
PaulS

You will be returned the good deed.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
BigBo

Similar situation yesterday. Go to the bank to cash a check and deposit a portion in my account. New teller gives me back what was supposed to be $300 in cash after deposit. I get out to my truck, look in the envelope and he had given me $800 (Amount of my deposit). Went right back in and corrected the overage. Kid was sweating bullets hoping he wasn't going to be fired.
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 AM   #7
Rockfish9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
Similar situation yesterday. Go to the bank to cash a check and deposit a portion in my account. New teller gives me back what was supposed to be $300 in cash after deposit. I get out to my truck, look in the envelope and he had given me $800 (Amount of my deposit). Went right back in and corrected the overage. Kid was sweating bullets hoping he wasn't going to be fired.
many years ago I had the same thing happen.. when I went back and told the teller she had made a mistake she replied "we don't make mistakes"... I asked to speak to a supervisor.. and was once again told "we don't make mistakes"... the next morning when I got a call from the bank saying they believe they made I mistake .. I told them that it was not possible because twice the day before I was told by them that they don't make mistakes...latter that day after a sit down with the branch manager I told him what happened and them promptly removed my accounts from that bank.

A good run is better than a bad stand!
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
All I want for Christmas is for my dog to get better....more likely I will have to make a tough decision soon.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
FishermanTim

Years ago I braved the masses on black Friday to get a few things I wanted/needed.
One in particular was a McCullough (?) chainsaw.

Went to where they were stacked, picked up a package, paid and went home. I found out that they were not really prepared for black Friday because the person that stocked the shelves forgot to unwrap the TWO chainsaws that were packaged in a "69" configuration, so it looked like one rectangular box.
The cashier rang up one item.

I get home and realize what they had done (or better yet FAILED to do) and had my brother return it to the store (as I had to work).

They gave him a cash refund for the returned chainsaw!!!

Sometimes doing the right thing can benefit you in more ways than you think!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #10
paradoxjim

Rmarsh - sorry to hear about your tough decision; it isn't easy.
On the bright side, think how much better that cashiers Christmas will be because she still has a job!

Kudos for doing the right thing.
paradoxjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #11
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

Hyears ago I was buying five gallons of custom paint color paint from a store in Brockton. Young lady inly charged me for four one gallon containers, not five. I mentioned that to her she was undercharging me. She looks at me spewing venom and says, what do I look like a dumbass, I kniw how to count. Oh, ok, I guess you are riggt. Paud, and left with my five gallons of paint. Paid for four.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #12
Guppy
User

Doesn't surprise me one bit
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #13
FishermanTim

If you do the right thing and the person won't acknowledge an error or fix it (for their own best interest) then take it and run.

You did right, they did wrong, and you win in the end!

I am a legend in my own mind!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:34 AM   #14
Rmarsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
My dog has made a remarkable recovery...for now.
I'm a skeptic....and don't really believe in "Karma"..... though I wish things did work that way.
Also my 98 year old MIL lives with us and she has been praying for him everyday, maybe she has some influence...
Old 12-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #15
PaulS

Great news, glad to hear that
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote