Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 05-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
Andy D
Just Keep On Pluggin !

Joe D Autograph

My dad just gave my son a Joe DiMaggio autograph. Seems years ago he was down Florida on Business and Joe D was staying at the same hotel. He met him in the resturant and Joe autographed a hotel napkin. My question is how do I go about finding out what it's worth
I would think I should have it insured. His autographs are rare as he never liked to give one. I know most of you guys are Red Sox fans but any help would be great. Thanks!
Andy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

before you can price it you'll need to get it authenticated and acquire a certificate of authenticity.

The fact that its on a napkin, don't expect it to fetch much....probably a hundred tops. A joe dimaggio autographed baseball with COA sitting on E-bay for about $250 with 30 minutes left as I type this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JOE-DIMAGGIO-AUT...QQcmdZViewItem

and remember no matter what anybody tells you that it worth...its really only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
The Dad Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
BigBo

I don't know about autographed values either.
Yes, we are Red Sox fans here.
I got this one from the Splendid Splinter himself back in about '65/'66.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	twbb.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	21508  

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
Andy D
Just Keep On Pluggin !

Thanks for the info. I will get the C.O.A . I understand what your saying about it not being worth that much because it on a napkin
Still a nice thing to put up on the wall.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #5
Andy D
Just Keep On Pluggin !

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBo View Post
I don't know about autographed values either.
Yes, we are Red Sox fans here.
I got this one from the Splendid Splinter himself back in about '65/'66.
Very Cool , They don't make players like Ted Williams or Joe D any more.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
BigFish
BigFish Bait Co.

Send a message via AIM to BigFish
Keep it out of the light....the uv will fade the autograph and the napkin!

Almost time to get our fish on!!!
BigFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
BigBo

Yeah. Larry's right about the light. Especially with a napkin. The autograph on the ball used to be a lot darker. It's never been exposed to direct sunlight and you can see how it still faded. The ball was an actual ML ball foul hit by Ted several years earlier that my Dad had caught an given to me. I got the autograph at TW Baseball Camp when my brother and I attended as Little Leaguers so it was already dirty.

The future ain't what it used to be. --Yogi Berra
BigBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
Did he sign it "Mr Coffee"

LETS GO BRANDON
Raider Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:30 AM   #9
Andy D
Just Keep On Pluggin !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Ronnie View Post
Did he sign it "Mr Coffee"
No but he did have Marilyn leave her lipstick print on the other side
Old 05-04-2007, 06:40 AM   #10
MrHunters
What was that!?!

i used to work for an autograph dealer. there are only 3 or 4 legitemate ones in the country. We did not deal is sports memorabilia accept the occasional purchase of entire collections.

I will tell you though that "the certificate of authencity" is really just the dealers opinion that it is a legitamate autograph. If they did not get it in person you are trusting their experience in that they have seen this autograph time and time again and knows the details that make it real. If you are dealing with a legit company I would trust this.

For a time I was able to spot a fake where my boss would just glance at it and chuck it. The autograph business gets a bad rap because of so many fakes on the market.

For example, if you see a britney spears on ebay for 9.99 it IS fake. She never signs so when you see a real one, it took some effort to get so your going to see a much higher price.

Anyway, the COA is an experts opinion, so make sure you do your research before you spend the bucks to get it authenticated.

If your looking to see what its worth go to http://rrauction.com and do a search. they are very picky on what they put up for auction and i would say 98% of their stuff is good
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:53 AM   #11
MrHunters
What was that!?!

oh, and thats not the company i worked for. but we did deal with them... and they would send some of our "questionable" autographs back from time to time, so they are pretty strict
MrHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
Mike P
Jiggin' Leper Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy D View Post
I would think I should have it insured. His autographs are rare as he never liked to give one. I know most of you guys are Red Sox fans but any help would be great. Thanks!
Joe D was a very strange guy. Yes, he was known as cold and aloof, especially after his very public divorce from MM. But if approached quietly and respectfully, he would sometimes accomodate autograph seekers. You didn't just walk up to him, shove a piece of paper and a ball in his lap and say, "Would you mind Mr. DiMaggio?".

There was one occasion, mentioned at the time of his death, where Joe D noticed a couple of sailors, in Navy dress uniforms, in a bar. He quietly went over to the bartender, and ordered drinks for them, wrote "Thanks for your service to our country. Joe DiMaggio" on a napkin, and had the waitress deliver everything to their table.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something.
Mike P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #13
Andy D
Just Keep On Pluggin !

Wasn't Ted Williams the same way or was that more to the press at the time? There's a guy I would have loved to fish with Red Sox or not.