Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #31
Charlie G

Send a message via MSN to Charlie G
Douglas you always amaze me with your talent. So real like and the depth you get in your paint is unreal.
Can I ask how you seem to get that depth all the time ?
And also at what psi do you use to spray those ? Would it be the same psi if I'm using water based paints ?
Also you are so generous to share these tips with us. Thanks
Charlie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #32
Rowhunter

Charlie, there are a few things to consider when trying to achieve depth. First is base coat types like solid, metallics and heavily applied pearls, these all will make a good base. Next would be a lightly applied pearl or even a heavily reduced base can give a nice medium density appearance. Lastly would be the candys or transparent paints that I use on all of my work in addition to shading to give interesting color differences. For the most part I shoot most everything in the 40 psi range. Any stencil or detail painting the pressure gets turned down to around 18 psi at the regulator, and I may drop it more at the fine adjustment on the gun. I may shoot some very fine detail at around 9-10 psi. I'm no expert on waterborn finishes, but I'm sure the pressure would have to be dropped to do fine shading. How low can it go and what to reduce it with I don't know, but I'm sure there are guys here that do. I see plenty here getting great results with those type of paints.

Douglas
Rowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:56 AM   #33
striper774

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowhunter View Post
Charlie, there are a few things to consider when trying to achieve depth. First is base coat types like solid, metallics and heavily applied pearls, these all will make a good base. Next would be a lightly applied pearl or even a heavily reduced base can give a nice medium density appearance. Lastly would be the candys or transparent paints that I use on all of my work in addition to shading to give interesting color differences. For the most part I shoot most everything in the 40 psi range. Any stencil or detail painting the pressure gets turned down to around 18 psi at the regulator, and I may drop it more at the fine adjustment on the gun. I may shoot some very fine detail at around 9-10 psi. I'm no expert on waterborn finishes, but I'm sure the pressure would have to be dropped to do fine shading. How low can it go and what to reduce it with I don't know, but I'm sure there are guys here that do. I see plenty here getting great results with those type of paints.

Douglas
I also paint with automotive paints and find a huge difference in paintability in all phazes.I've been trying waterborn paints and have quickly returned to base paint.Much more flexable to work with in all phazes.Paint pigmentation is very adaptable to different thining applications for much better detailing results.Myself i needed more air preasure to spray waterborn paint.I'll try again with waterborn but i see no comparison between the two.
striper774 is offline   Reply With Quote