Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Sports Talk - Title Town

Sports Talk - Title Town Sports Talk - Our Home for the 2004/2007 World Champion Red Sox, Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX Champion Patriots! SEVENTEEN TIME NBA Champion Boston Celtics, 2011 winners of Lord Stanley's Cup Boston Bruins!!!

Old 04-15-2010, 07:55 AM   #1
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Bruins/Sabres

OK so lots of folks predicting a possible B's upset in this series. Is it really all about the goalies or will there be some other key factors that come into play? The B's are thin on defense and the top guys may wear down in a long series playing every other night. If Lucic plays as well as he has lately he could be a difference maker and Kreji needs to use his skills w/o thinking too much. I think it will be a long and rough series and hopefully the home team will come out on top.
I'll be at the first home game Monday! In all of sports, playoff hockey is the best, most intense playoff atmosphere/action.

"Twitch....Twitch....Twitch....WHAM!"
spinncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
stcroixman

Playoff hockey is great action. I will watch all the games I can in any series.

I agree - should be low scoring games, because of goalies. Bruins need to pick up their intensity though.
stcroixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

I'll watch and because I'm a homer pull for the B's but I got to say I have no idea how this is going to turn out. They could lay a dud or play good hard playoff hockey and keep it going. I see this series going to the last game.

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Mr. Sandman

The B's certainly could take this series...They play Buffalo enough during the regular season and know them well.

A few thoughts:

We played them 6 times this year and won the series 4 : 2.

Despite what anyone says...Tuuka is the best goalie in the NHL right now, look at the stats.

The team is starting to score now.

They are pumped and at times look pretty good.

No one expects them to do anything

The not so good:

Injuries are killing us. We are a weakened team.

Offensive lines are like a house of cards, you pull out the wrong one and the entire thing collapses. That is what happened with the Kessel trade. For the GM to say we traded this guy and all of you need to step up to make up for his absence (30+ goals) was foolish and quite frankly I think he should be fired, if not for that, then for when he did trade someone he got another defenseman and said that he hoped by improving the defense we would improve our offense.

IMO you don't win games with defense...you stop from loosing them, it is not the same thing. They need to get the magic back in the fwd lines and it will only take one or two key players then everyone will start scoring again. (like last season)

(I think the 2010 draft (2nd pick) will be 1/2 of the key, the other is to find one more key player and they will need to make a trade to get this guy.)

(Personally, they should include Tim Thomas in that trade. I never liked him much even last year...the Defense made him look as good as he did last season and I think there are locker room issues too.)

Anyway for this series, They could collapse and loose in 4 but if they get their mojo working and HIT (not fist fights, rock hard checking)...I am calling B's in 6. I don't expect them to go any further. They will loose the next series in 4. There is no depth in the lines due to injuries, they can't make a deep run in the playoffs. (next year I think the team will be a lot better and will go deep!)

that said....GO B's !

Last edited by Mr. Sandman; 04-15-2010 at 01:27 PM..
Mr. Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
SurfCaster413

I live for this time of year playoff hockey!!!
SurfCaster413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #6
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Lack of blue-line depth is concerning for me.
Dad 818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
nightfighter
Seldom Seen

Any success the Bs have will be due to goaltending. Rask or Thomas could steal a series or two...

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed, unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.” – James Madison.
nightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Good game with typical results for the B's. A ton of shots but only one goal. Rask played well enough to win but Miller played better. Great effort and minimal mistakes I think this is still gonna be a long series.

One issue- The officiating has got to get better. Would love to see a ref will the balls to call a dive as the Sabres should get an emmy for all the acting that did tonight. And how the ef does Chara skate outta the box, play a shift and then get sent back to finish his penalty? Pathetic!

Old 04-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Game 2 was sweet! Comeback victory and the Sabres likely lost Vanek for the series. Miller looked human and was beat bad at least twice. Not perfect as Lucic struggled and Rask let an easy one by. Overall the B's showed heart and determination and I am looking forward to the rest of this series.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Great hit by Boychuck on Ellis. The B's keep up with the physicality and they could take this series.

Savard is cleared to play. But I wonder with how physical playoff hockey is, will Savard be productive? I mean teams are just burying each other every shift, and I hope his head can take it because you know he will get targeted.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #11
MarshCappa
Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!

So far so good. They are playing at the level that we all expect a good playoff team to play at. It's like walking a tight rope right now though. I guess it makes for good tv though. Go B's!

"Sunshine Day Dream"
MarshCappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
SurfCaster413

Great serious nothing like edge of your seat hockey, have I mentioned that I love it!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #13
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Was at the game Monday and it was insane. The crowds were chanting outside the garden, in line to get in, in line to get beer and right through into the parking garage after the game. I am still hoarse this morning! Physical, hard hitting and determined play, for a full 60 minutes, is what wins playoff games and that is how the B's did it. Can they keep up the intensity?

Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #14
fishbones

Great comeback tonight! Miller was unbelievable in the OT's but they finally got one past him. Is it ok for me to say that I love Satan?
fishbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:29 PM   #15
SurfCaster413

OMG Great game one more win in Buffalo is all we need, what great saves by both goalies. I must of woke the house up 10 times with all the yelling and clapping.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #16
FishermanTim

That was one heck of a game.
Both goalies were phenominal.
To have that much energy after playing a full game and a FULL extra period and a good portion of a second.

All I could say was WOW!
Where were these Bruins during the regular season, and thank goodness they found their way to the game.

Oh, and the Sox won in extra innings too!
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
Mr. Sandman

They need to end this tonight...no %$%$%$%$ing around, hit them hard right from the first face off. If Vanic play's put lucic on him with the objective tobang and bang hard.

Lets hope they bring their A game tonight cause it will not be pretty in Buffalo if they don't.

Go B's
Old 04-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #18
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Agreed- even a hint of tentative play could spell defeat for this team. A Savard return could be a motivating factor as well. Look for a 2-1 final, in OT.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #19
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Really expected a letdown in Game 5. Not as bad as it was, but that scrum at the end may have done the trick and woken them back up.

3-1 Bruins.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
Mr. Sandman

Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #21
SurfCaster413

Okay game all three buffalos goals where made on mistakes. Seris is over bring on Pittsburg or Philly. Side note if montreal wins wendesday night bruins have home ice advantage in the second round!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #22
spinncognito
Is it May yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfCaster413 View Post
Okay game all three buffalos goals where made on mistakes. Seris is over bring on Pittsburg or Philly. Side note if montreal wins wendesday night bruins have home ice advantage in the second round!

They were fortuneate to get 4 goals as they did indeed make some horrific plays in thier own zone and paid for it each time. Gonna be awkward wanting the Canadians to win Wednesday but to hold off on playing Pittsburgh until round three would be nice...

Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 AM   #23
afterhours
Afterhours Custom Plugs

rask is a cool customer...this team is s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g me in ....again.

www.afterhoursplugs.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Afterh...428173?created

Instagram - afterhourscustom

Official S-B.com Sponsor

GAMEFISH NOW

"A GAMEFISH (WHICH STRIPED BASS SHOULD BE) IS TOO VALUABLE TO BE CAUGHT ONLY ONCE"...LEE WULFF
afterhours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #24
Mr. Sandman

Recchi and Rask were HUGE. Recchi is amazing for 42 years old...the guy has the energy of a 20 yo.

Whom do we play next? I fogot how the series goes.

Phi beat the NJ devils ( I thought they would be the team go deep this year, kovalchuks value just caved)

Pits beat the Ott sens

Habs and caps tied at 3 each, game 7 on wed

If the habs win whom do we play?

If the caps win whom do we play?

I heard we will have home ice advantage if the habs win? How is that figured?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #25
eskimo

it should be either the caps or the habs. I'm sure we will find out wednesday night.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #26
FishermanTim

If Montreal wins, we play Philly, if Washington wins we play Pittsburgh.
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:06 PM   #27
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishermanTim View Post
If Montreal wins, we play Philly, if Washington wins we play Pittsburgh.
Correct.

And Savard is cleared to play. Great news on 2 fronts. For him personally, I mean he came back pretty quick. Bergeron was out for a lot longer and I could be wrong but weren't they the same grade concussion?

Plus our PP finally started clicking and one would think it could only improve more with Savvy out there.

GO HABS!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #28
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post

I heard we will have home ice advantage if the habs win? How is that figured?
The NHL basically re-seeds after every round. Highest remaining seed versus lowest remaining seed and the other 2 matchup.

If Montreal wins they are the 8 seed. The highest remaining seed would be Pittsburgh the 4 seed. That would leave Boston (6 seed) vs Philly (7 seed)

If Washington wins (1 seed) they play Philly (7 seed) while Pittsburgh (4 seed) plays Boston (6 seed)
Old 04-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #29
Mr. Sandman

Thanks for that info..

Go Habs! (can't believe I am saying that!)
Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 PM   #30
Dad 818
Hunting for a 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sandman View Post
Thanks for that info..

Go Habs! (can't believe I am saying that!)
No problem. I agree, I feel dirty rooting for the Canadiens.