Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Build Stuff: Custom Plug & Lure Building, Rod Building » Plug Building - Got Wood?

Plug Building - Got Wood? Got Plug?

Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Sweetwater
Ruled only by the tide

Through Wire - Question from a novice

I'm having a lot of problems drilling a straight hole for the through-wire. The bit wants to "travel with the grain" and doesn't center on both sides.

I've tried drilling from both sides and meeting in the middle with poor results.

What's the technique or type of drill bit for getting a 'centered' hole on both sides of the plug? Thanks, these are my first attempts at plug building.

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.
Sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:45 PM   #2
Woodbuster

What are you using to drill with? A drill press? A lathe? By hand?
Woodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #3
spence

What kind of wood and what's the method you're attempting to employ?

I've always used a regular bit to drill each end on a drill press using a simple jig, then finished the middle with a hand drill and a long bit.

Go slowly and be sure to clean out the shavings frequently.

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
Rockfish9

This must be the most asked problem....
The important thing is to have everthing lined up, Salty was kind enough a while back to post a suggestion on using a dowel center, tthat was an improvment over the finish nail I used to line up my plug on...

Keep in mind, if you spin the drill too fas5t, you will have problem, if you do not continualy clear chips you will have a problem.

If I'm using the drill press I normaly start with a 3" bit and drill from each end, then using stepping blocks finish the job..

If I'm using the lathe, I dont even bother, I can run the 6" bit through from each end and meet every time, the key is slow to moderate drill speed and clearing the chips...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drilling station.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	20979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pre drilling.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	20980  
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #5
Rockfish9

And with the lathe...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lathe drilling.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	20981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lathe drilling II.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	20982  
Rockfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #6
Jigman

Brad point bits. Go slow, back out the drill from time to time to clear the dust, and follow the steps that Rockfish outlined.

Jigman
Jigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
GattaFish
Great White Scup Hunter

I agree with Rockfish........ You MUST have everything lined up and use a dowel center. I also start with a short bit to get the holes started exactly straight then use a longer bit to drill the rest,,,,, A brad point bit with the spurs ground off has been a good improvement also,,,, Do not rush or force the bit or it will drift the hole away from Center,,,,
GattaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
Slipknot
Super Moderator

I think the thickness of the bit matters a lot when you are having wandering troubles and starting out perfectly in line will help tremendously. I have the best luck with a 5/32" bit. An 1/8" bit is good for shorter plugs but tends to wander on a longer plug. The beginning first 1/2" to 1" have to be dead nuts, everybody does it the way they are most comfortable with. I use a lathe and have no problem, I can also get by with a hand drill once the ends are started on the lathe.
the advice you got so far from others is what you need to know. Start with short bit , then go to a long one and see if that helps.

The United States Constitution does not exist to grant you rights; those rights are inherent within you. Rather it exists to frame a limited government so that those natural rights can be exercised freely.

1984 was a warning, not a guidebook!

It's time more people spoke up with the truth. Every time we let a leftist lie go uncorrected, the commies get stronger.
Slipknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #9
Woodbuster

Dont forget the importance of SHARP drill bits. A dull bit will wander for sure. Try not to keep them in a drawer rolling into one another.
Woodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #10
Bob Senior

I've had almost no problems since I got a drill sharpener that's capable of splitting the point. Oh, and I drill them on the lathe, 50-50. I'm using maple for most plugs, some AYC for poppers. The maple is the most challenging for drilling.

FWIW, I drill the blank first. Then I center it around the hole cuz the hole is always off at least a little bit.

I found that the drill tends to try to wander less at about 1500 rpm compared with 500 rpm.
Bob Senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #11
justplugit
Registered Grandpa

All excellent methods and advice.
Every problem i've had was from getting antsy or forcing. Letting the drill do the work and taking your time will help.

" Choose Life "
justplugit is offline   Reply With Quote