Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Today's Posts Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Main Forum » Conservation Issues and Notices

Conservation Issues and Notices A new location to post Conservation Issues and Notices in place or or in addition to discussions on the Main Stripertalk Forum

Old 03-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #1
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

Balloons

Ever stop and think about how many balloons you see on the water in a year??? I know I see a TON
I applaud them for doing something about it

But I suspect most people won't care and will continue to do it.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...n+on+the+loose
UserRemoved1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
FishermanTim

What about the "little balloons" left on the beach after a night of "spawning" on the sand? Will they ban those too?
FishermanTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #3
stripersnipr

Latex balloons are 100% organic and have the deterioration rate that is basically the same as an Oak leaf. Mylar balloons however have an almost indefinite life span.

Latex = Good
Mylar = Bad
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

ssniper I think it's more the strings that go with them, and the fact that aquatic things eat them...I don't think you'd last long if you had a latex balloon sitting in your stomach blocking it.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
stripersnipr

Quote:
Originally Posted by #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& View Post
ssniper I think it's more the strings that go with them, and the fact that aquatic things eat them...I don't think you'd last long if you had a latex balloon sitting in your stomach blocking it.
No doubt. I heard recently of a latex compound balloon in development that will dissolve within 24 hours of inflation in atsmopheric conditions and less than a minute in wet conditions. Your right about the strings and ribbons that attach them. Until they become as eco-friendly as the balloon itself there is still a hazard to contend with. But in any case Mylar is an environmental nightmare and as far as I'm concerned should be banned from balloon production. Granted, planned staged Balloon releases are irresponsible, but on the other hand I think Cops have much better things to do than busting kids for letting balloons go, don't you? Like busting (poachers).
stripersnipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

yea for sure. I think I probably see about 30-40 mylar balloons a year on the water. That's alot.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:24 PM   #7
parker23
No Trolling allowed

I hope this bill passes. It is littering on a massive scale.
I am sure balloons have killed countless fish and other sea creatures.
parker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #8
beamie

Gimme a break on the fine crap. There are lots of things besides balloons that destroy the enviroment......stop selling the mylar balloons close to the ocean. That would be enough of an effect.

As fishermen we would be wise not to be on the side of the green people too much. They will next target all rubber artifishcials, plastic pluggage and then they will start on the wood. Are those plastic eyes? Is that non toxic paint? etc etc.

Salty, I wouldn't doubt it by now you have gotten requests in the mail by green groups to stop producing items that pollute the ocean and kill fish, no?

If Bills like this pass it is only the beginning of the end. "Green" Groups will not be happy until all of us are golfing......on courses using only organic fertilizers of course.

I think the biggest problem of plastics in the water I see are the bags from the supermarket. Make them all paper only........another note: remember the ocean is the worlds biggest trash can. Sometime I'll take a picture of what goes over the side of a big ship most everyday, no plastics... but the green folks wouldn't be happy

Last edited by beamie; 03-25-2007 at 08:57 AM..

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

nope but if and when i do i'll be glad to tear it up and put it in the appropriate file
Old 03-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #10
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
As fishermen we would be wise not to be on the side of the green people too much.
The Martians?

-spence
spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:03 AM   #11
beamie

Quote:
nope but if and when i do i'll be glad to tear it up and put it in the appropriate file

Jon, 24' Nauset-Green Topsides, Beamie, North River. Channel 68/69. MSBA, NIBA
beamie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
sok
North Shore Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamie View Post
Gimme a break on the fine crap. There are lots of things besides balloons that destroy the enviroment......stop selling the mylar balloons close to the ocean. That would be enough of an effect.

As fishermen we would be wise not to be on the side of the green people too much. They will next target all rubber artifishcials, plastic pluggage and then they will start on the wood. Are those plastic eyes? Is that non toxic paint? etc etc.

Salty, I wouldn't doubt it by now you have gotten requests in the mail by green groups to stop producing items that pollute the ocean and kill fish, no?

If Bills like this pass it is only the beginning of the end. "Green" Groups will not be happy until all of us are golfing......on courses using only organic fertilizers of course.

I think the biggest problem of plastics in the water I see are the bags from the supermarket. Make them all paper only........another note: remember the ocean is the worlds biggest trash can. Sometime I'll take a picture of what goes over the side of a big ship most everyday, no plastics... but the green folks wouldn't be happy
I grew up within walking distance of a beach.(Revere)
The old man used to take me to another beach to play with rockets when I was about 8.(Nahant)
Biggest infestation of trash I can remember?
Beach whistles.
Rounded on on end. Flat on the other. Star shaped opening on one end. I have seen thousands. Hundreds of thousands.
3,4,5 miles up from Deer Island.
You all know exactly what I'm talking about.
More than plastic bags or driftwood or syringes or lobster buoys or balloons or dead horseshoe crabs.

And if it was up to me?
The "greens"?
All terrorists as far as I'm concerned. Blow them out of the water. Twice.
My taxes pay for the biggest and most advanced Navy the world has ever seen.

Last edited by sok; 03-25-2007 at 08:12 PM..
sok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:23 AM   #13
UserRemoved1
Permanently Disconnected

beach whistles roflmao

that is a serious problem. Wonder if the new treatment pipe has eliminated that and maybe the only problem now it the Trojan beach balloons.

Beach whistles should be biodegradable
Old 03-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
striperman36
Old Guy

Serious problem compared to ballons.
striperman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:53 PM   #15
WoodyCT

Alvin and Theodore at The Beach

My 7 year old son has found a new passion, besides pissing outdoors- inhaling the helium in the mylar balloons we find washed up on the beach! Of course, we dispose of them properly once we stop LOAO.
WoodyCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #16
Jenn

Quote:
beach whistles roflmao

that is a serious problem. Wonder if the new treatment pipe has eliminated that and maybe the only problem now it the Trojan beach balloons.

Beach whistles should be biodegradable

unfortunately "beach whistles" are not made to be flushed ....but are anyway.

balloons? I often wonder if the ones I find on the beach are from the releases or from fishermen.

and as for the other.....well we dont need to go there do we?

Simplify.......
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #17
Swimmer
Retired Surfer

I have been reading for twenty years or better how during the necropsies done on whales invariably what is found more than any other foreign object are MYLAR balloons. I didn't read the address Salty posted but one can get the gist of his post by reading what everyone is talking about and I am all for it.

Swimmer a.k.a. YO YO MA
Serial Mailbox Killer/Seal Fisherman
Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #18
taJon

I try to pick up as much trash as possible. Unbelievable some of the stuff you can find out there.

boatless................can I have a ride?
taJon is offline   Reply With Quote