Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating

Left Nav S-B Home Register FAQ Members List S-B on Facebook Arcade WEAX Tides Buoys Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   Striper Talk Striped Bass Fishing, Surfcasting, Boating » Striper Chat - Discuss stuff other than fishing ~ The Scuppers and Political talk » Political Threads

Political Threads This section is for Political Threads - Enter at your own risk. If you say you don't want to see what someone posts - don't read it :hihi:

Old 05-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
Jim in CT

unemployment lowest since December 1969

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/n...J-fgr-CwLA48KI
Old 05-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #2
Got Stripers
Ledge Runner Baits

The problem just like in 2016, Trump can’t ever talk about the economy, he needs conflict to strut his stuff. I’m not going to argue the economy is really good, but he inherited a strong upward trending one. The tax cut keep it going and while that gave companies reason to hire, the wages aren’t where they need to be for anyone in the middle or lower. That is especially true if you have a large family, with a lot of mouths to feed and worse yet if they have aspirations for college. If Trump were not such a flaming ahole and just a miserable human being, he would be hard to beat. His undoing will be the new young voters and especially women; where the disapproval rating is 62%.

If anything happens to the economy stick a fork in him he will be done. Still if the youth and women and independents go democratic I can’t see him winning another term. He really needs that second term too, because the statute of limitations then keeps him out of prison if other investigations turn up serious crimes. Show me the taxes too before he runs.
Posted from my iPhone/Mobile device
Old 05-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Stripers View Post
The problem just like in 2016, Trump can’t ever talk about the economy, he needs conflict to strut his stuff. I’m not going to argue the economy is really good, but he inherited a strong upward trending one. The tax cut keep it going and while that gave companies reason to hire, the wages aren’t where they need to be for anyone in the middle or lower. That is especially true if you have a large family, with a lot of mouths to feed and worse yet if they have aspirations for college. If Trump were not such a flaming ahole and just a miserable human being, he would be hard to beat. His undoing will be the new young voters and especially women; where the disapproval rating is 62%.

If anything happens to the economy stick a fork in him he will be done. Still if the youth and women and independents go democratic I can’t see him winning another term. He really needs that second term too, because the statute of limitations then keeps him out of prison if other investigations turn up serious crimes. Show me the taxes too before he runs.

"he inherited a strong upward trending one."

and he did things that hadn't been done by the previous administration (eliminated lots of regulations, cut taxes for people and business), and those appear to be working. Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman said that Trumps election would ruin the US economy and that we'd never recover. And he still gets paid to go on TV, people still listen to him.

"the wages aren’t where they need to be for anyone in the middle or lower"

No they are not. Low unemployment will help that, as it lowers the supply of labor, and the growing economy increases the demand for labor. When the supply of something goes down, and t the same time the demand for that something goes up, the cost of that something (wages in this case) will increase. Wages are up 3.2% in the last year. Not nearly enough.

"If Trump were not such a flaming ahole and just a miserable human being, he would be hard to beat."

On that, I agree.

" Still if the youth and women and independents go democratic "

Which they did in 2016.

"I can’t see him winning another term"

if the democrats nominate an unlikeable freak like Warren or Booker or Buttigeig or Bernie, he has a great chance.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #4
Pete F.
Canceled

Good job keeping the Obama recovery going, new record 108 weeks
Old 05-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
spence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in CT View Post
if the democrats nominate an unlikeable freak like Warren or Booker or Buttigeig or Bernie, he has a great chance.
By what calculus do you find Buttigeig unlikable?
Old 05-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
Jim in CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence View Post
oh that’s easy. his whole term as mayor, he had a great relationship
with Pence. Than all
if a sudden, as soon as he was running for POTUS, that’s when he realized that Pence is actually an evil, homophobic bigot. It reeks of phoniness. Pence, in true hatemongering fashion, responds that he really likes Buttigieg.

Do ANY of these candidates ever tell us why their policies are different ( better) than anyone else’s? No. Because they don’t disagree on anything, which necessarily means they are running to serve themselves, not to serve us.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #7
The Dad Fisherman
Super Moderator

Quote:
Glad to see you agree with Jim on the other three.

"If you're arguing with an idiot, make sure he isn't doing the same thing."
Old 05-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
JohnR
Certifiable Intertidal Anguiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete F. View Post
Good job keeping the Obama recovery going, new record 108 weeks
Imagine if Obama had promoted economic growth policies instead of New Normal Policies

Quote:
He is very likeable, smart, and has experience in a lot of errors. Some of his policies are a no deal for me.

~Fix the Bait~ ~Pogies Forever~

Striped Bass Fishing - All Stripers

Kobayashi Maru Election - there is no way to win.

Apocalypse is Coming:
Old 05-05-2019, 05:26 AM   #9
Raider Ronnie

Send a message via AIM to Raider Ronnie
[QUOTE=Got Stripers;1166636]The problem just like in 2016, Trump can’t ever talk about the economy, he needs conflict to strut his stuff. I’m not going to argue the economy is really good, but he inherited a strong upward trending one.